PDA

View Full Version : Building a Shop?

Instinctz
04-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Hey all, well im getting ready to start building more, and working with more metal. Well for building a shop I had plans for one that is somewhere in the demensions of 20 by 30. But the hardest part is what to build it out of?

I was just wanting to know what kind of materials any of you have built with. Also where to buy some of it if possible...

Thanks,

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 03:48 PM
You can buy those pre-fabbed metal shops. If you are going to build one, make sure you check out zoning and get all the appropriate permits. My buddy had to tear his down (previous owner built it) because it wasn't built with the right permits. :(

Instinctz
04-06-2003, 03:53 PM
The prefab ones done ever look sturdy, and one guy bought one down the road from us and it blew over the next night (ouch).

As for laws, im pretty far out in the country and dont think the shop will be inflicting on anything.

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 03:57 PM
I don't mean the cheap kind like that. I mean the ones you pour a concrete foundation for and put in electrical and insulation and all that stuff.
You can also build a regular framed wood one like you would a house. Thats what my parents have (and therefore where I keep my machines ;) ), but those are very expensive to build unless you are a contractor or something. My dad had our shop built (40x60) to match the house since the house was also being built at the same time.

AZblaster44
04-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
You can also build a regular framed wood one like you would a house. Thats what my parents have (and therefore where I keep my machines ;) ), but those are very expensive to build unless you are a contractor or something. My dad had our shop built (40x60) to match the house since the house was also being built at the same time.

same here

Instinctz
04-06-2003, 04:10 PM
I beleive the way im going to build it is with the metal like siding, and framed skeleton type...

AZblaster44
04-06-2003, 04:22 PM
My dads Friend has one of those.... It's a nice shop and holds up well to the wind. Good thing about those is if you want to add a small side room or something it isn't very hard to do.

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Yeah, a corrugated metal building is probably the most cost-effective way to do it. The only downside to those I would see is it seems they could get hotttttttttt in the summer, but thats what doors and fans are for ;)

TRX300X
04-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Pole barns work nice. Too, we built a 24x32 for about $7000.

REC
04-10-2003, 04:03 AM
I think money is a determining factor, but with that said I have had a couple of friends build their shops with several courses of cynder(spelling) blocks then frame your shop on top of that. Seems lilke this is a good way to get a 12 ft ceiling if you ever put in a lift.
my 2 cents!lol