PDA

View Full Version : AVGAS by Phillips66

Steven
04-06-2003, 03:42 PM
My local airport sells a fuel which I think might work in my quad. Its called Avgas 100LL.

It is a gasoline and is designed for piston engine airplanes, not to be confused with jet fuel, which is kerosine based. Avgas is 100 octane and contains 2 grams of lead per gallon.

Avgas is only $2.15/gallon.

Compared to the 100 octane Cam2 unleadued I use @ $4.00/gallon, the idea is tempting.

What do you guys think?

Steve

motoboy66
04-06-2003, 06:08 PM
The Avgas will work just fine. I run it in my ex. There does not seam to be any difference, just smells better. There is one proublem though, you might not be able to buy it. The FBO that sells the fuel is not supposed to sell it for anything but aircraft. The way I get mine is when they do work and have to drain the tanks on the airplanes. Most small aircraft hold around 30 gallons, some much more. When they drain the tanks, they can not put it back in the airplane, so most have to pay for disposal. You might see if you can find a mintence facility and work out a deal with them. This is how I get mine. If you are able to buy it go for it. Aircraft engines use the lead to help prevent detonation, most engines run around 11to1 compression. Also if you can get it for the price you say, thats one great deal. Last week when I filled up the airplane it was $3.65 a gallon. You might not notice any performance change, but it will smell great.

Todd

Steven
04-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the information Todd.

They will sell it to me. The airport office manager was trying to talk me into buying it. He said all the local car racers and airboat racers buy it from him and I should too.

He said I could get it right from the pump for $2.15/G or I could buy the waste gas you spoke of for $1.50/G.

I wasn't really looking for a performance boost, just a price break and at $2/gallon savings, its attractive.

Did you have to change jetting? I read that the AVGAS is lighter and less dense than race gas, hence needs to run with a little larger jet.

motoboy66
04-07-2003, 04:39 PM
I did not change my jetting. I run either 93 pump gas, or the avgas. I don't feel that i need to rejet between the two.

Todd

Steven
04-10-2003, 03:16 PM
thanks, Todd.

anyone else have infor on this stuff?

Steven
04-13-2003, 02:42 PM
This stuff is so cheap and accesable, that someone else must have experience with it.

I'm buying it and trying it this weekend.

kj400
04-13-2003, 06:04 PM
i have run avgas but was told not to because it is oxygenated for altitude, is that true, because i can get av gas for less than half of the 110 i have been gettin

seven
04-14-2003, 12:32 AM
You will hear pros and cons of running av gas but it does not hurt your motor. I have run it for 3 years now with no problems. But keep an eye on your plugs becouse it will allow more oxygen to go threw. You may have to jet up one size but not always. Mine will run a little leaner with av gas then with regular fuel.

ptomp
04-17-2003, 03:26 PM
i have been working on roadrace motors for 15 years and we do not use av gas in any of our motors we use fuels designed for our engine specs 1 displacement 2 compression ratio 3 operating rpm. av gas is designed for a verry large low compression ratio engine also most all airplane piston engines run well below 3000 rpm so i will let you decide how this works in a small displacemet engine 400 416 465 500 ,with a compression ratio way higher than an airplane , and a operating rpm up to 8800 rpm!I recomend looking at vp fuels site they have 2 stroke fules small 4 stroke fuels and their fules are designed around different compression ratios so you can select the properly designed fuel for your application i use MR1 and ultimate4 . av gas is cheap for a reason and octane is a catch phrase everyone throws around i can show you race fuels under 100 octane that make more power than av gas because they are designed for a specific application

seven
04-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Idont know about all of that but they RUN GOOOOOD on Av gas!