PDA

View Full Version : Do most of you have titles to your quad?

BrianWrightR6
04-06-2003, 02:24 PM
I am selling my quad this week and even though the guy I am selling it too has never asked about a title I don’t know what I will tell him if he does ask. I do not have one and really don’t know how I could get one because I bought it off a guy and I really never even thought about asking for one, what's the use? What would you tell him if he asks?

toby400ex
04-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Ive had one on all 4 of my quads, in the past 2 years
:o

-=Skot=-
04-06-2003, 02:47 PM
i got one for mine. dunno what i'd tell em if he asked, around here if there's no title people question if the bike is really yours. know what i mean?

sly400ex
04-06-2003, 02:51 PM
You should be able to get one if you bring the VIN to the DMV and have a title sent to you.

CHAUNCY
04-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by -=Skot=-
i got one for mine. dunno what i'd tell em if he asked, around here if there's no title people question if the bike is really yours. know what i mean?

I know what you mean. It sucks buying a stolen bike:mad: :mad:
I have titles on most of my stuff and the stuff I get sometimes has titles.

Ben
04-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Quads in KY don't have to be titled - but you should have received a Manufacturers Statement of Origin from the guy you bought the quad from (which can be taken to the DMV and turned into a title).

lil400exman
04-06-2003, 03:39 PM
i had one for my 400ex.................................but now with my 50r and its been handed down so many times the title is probably sittin in a card board box in west virginia..................well at least i got a bill of sale with the past three owners and me on it.........................:) my 400ex had a title though...................:)

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 03:46 PM
I hear some states don't issue titles for ATV's since they aren't always registered with the DMV. If you don't have the title you can try getting a reconstructed title from the DMV, or just write up a bill of sale. Thats what I did when I sold my CR250 (came from Ohio, no titles).

04-06-2003, 03:53 PM
just write up a bill of sale.. thats what i did with my old dirtbike

BrianWrightR6
04-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by bobby88
just write up a bill of sale.. thats what i did with my old dirtbike

Could you give me an example of a "Bill of Sale", I have never seen one?

:confused:

Bean
04-06-2003, 03:57 PM
we have the title on my R, i wont buy titleless stuff, no need to have my R repoed after i put a few grand in it, since you dont get anything back

own2424
04-06-2003, 04:00 PM
yea, a BILL OF SALE is a proof that he bought it from you. I have a title for my banshee. I think you need the title just incase your bike gets stolen, its like a pink slip. Well, most/some older quads dont have titles, but 400ex's do. In the case of identifying where you got your quad from, I guess a title and Bill of Sale are both acceptable because they are proof that you didnt steal it or what not. GOod LUck!

remlapr
04-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Where did you buy it and what did they give you? I bought mine from a licensed used bike dealer in TN and all I got was a dealer bill of sale...

04-06-2003, 04:14 PM
bill of sale...................

brian wright sold 2001 400ex to so and so on 3-14-03
for $4,500. and you make a copy for yourself also. :D

BrianWrightR6
04-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I bought it from a guy one of my friends knows. He races GNCC professionally (Greg Stewart and Jason Lewis "Lewis Racing") and they used it as a practice bike and I really never even thought about asking for a title. I just don’t know what to do if he wants one, could I just write up like a bill of sale and if so what should it look like?

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bobby88
bill of sale...................

brian wright sold 2001 400ex to so and so on 3-14-03
for $4,500. and you make a copy for yourself also. :D

Don't forget that the seller and buyer both need to sign it :) Also, on mine, I put the VIN number on the bill of sale:
...sold 97 Honda CR250R, VIN# XXXXXXXX.... etc.

BrianWrightR6
04-06-2003, 04:47 PM
That is some good info, thanks guys!

remlapr
04-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Brian - there is a website, something like freelegaldocs.com( I don't think that is actual it) that has legal forms in acrobat format that you can download and print out. I would then meet up with the guy at a bank and have both signatures on two copies notarized - that may be overkill, but still probably a good idea. You could also call the DMV in the state the guy is from and explain it to them and ask if a notarized bill of sale will be enough for your buyer to get a title in his state, then you could let him know that you have already checked into it and that he will be able to get a title. If they tell you that he would have to have a title from the state of origin to title it in his home state, I don't know - you may want to let him know what the deal is up front. I know you don't want to loose the sale, but driving to meet him then loosing the sale would suck more....

Leo
04-06-2003, 11:51 PM
In NY you get a certificate of origin.. The first time you register the quad the DMV get's the certifictate and you get a transferable registration.

Personally I wouldn't buy a quad without the proper documentation.. (certificate of origin or registration).. How else do you know it's not stolen? In NY you need one or the other to register the machine.

Leo

Guy400
04-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Quads get titled in Ohio, I had a title on both my Raptor and Cannibal. Here's the weird part, neither one of those bikes had a Certificate of Origin even after the loan was paid off. I had a memorandum title for them and when the loan got paid off I received the actual Ohio title but no CoO? I thought these are given out by the manufacturer?

Nutster_98
04-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Just remember, if there is anything not on the up and up about your quad (you could not even have an idea that anything's not right) and if the guy you sell it to tries to get a title and it comes up stolen down the line.....you could be charged with selling and receiving of stolen goods. I am with Leo, I wouldn't buy anything without a title. Imagine spending a large chunk of money on it and them taking your quad back to the original owner. This happened to a guy I work with last year on a truck he had owned for several years. Just my two cent's worth....

Nut

Ben
04-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Quads get titled in Ohio, I had a title on both my Raptor and Cannibal. Here's the weird part, neither one of those bikes had a Certificate of Origin even after the loan was paid off. I had a memorandum title for them and when the loan got paid off I received the actual Ohio title but no CoO? I thought these are given out by the manufacturer?

Guy - when a vehicle is titled by a dealer or consumer the DMV takes the Manufacturers Statement of Origin (or Certificate of Origin) and "turns" it into a title. In KY and WV (and probably all other states) once a MSO/COO is taken to the DMV you never see it again.

redroost85
04-07-2003, 06:41 AM
I bought mine from the dealer and it was titled and came with a license plate. I wouldn't have it any other way. I carry (under the seat) a copy of my owners card, title, and insurance. We got too many sneaky bastages around here. I am all legal. I am not taking any chances!:D

own2424
04-07-2003, 06:54 AM
MY Bill of Sale for my old 300ex and 200sx kinda went like this...

Brian Wright sold this 2001 Honda TRX400EX to ____________, on April __, 2003. The quad was paid for in full and picked up upon payment.
Honda 400ex-
List of MODS

VIN #: ___________________
Seller X___________________
Buyer X___________________

Well, hope this helped....Good LUck
:D

250x#93
04-07-2003, 09:06 AM
I had a title but mine, but i temporarely lost it, OH O!!! Any how it ought to show up sometime, or at least I hope:devil

BrianWrightR6
04-09-2003, 02:28 PM
How does this look?

BILL of SALE

I Brian Wright sold Ken Michaelis a 2001 Honda TRX 400EX on April 11th, 2003. The Quad was paid for in full of the amount of $4500 with a cashiers check (######). The Quad was purchased from EBAY.COM item number 2408728611.

Honda 2001 TRX 400EX
VIN # #########

List of Items from E-Bay description.
“It has a FULL White Brother's E-Series Pipe Exhaust System, a Magura Hydraulic Clutch, Kevlar Break lines all around, K&N air filter with Pre-Charger, Dyno Jet stage II kit, White Brothers Graphic kit and seat cover, White Brother shock covers, White Brothers front Bumper, skid plate and Nerf bars! OMF air scoops, Renthal front and rear sprocket and grips, D.I.D. Gold series chain. PEP steering stabilizer, NACS headlight covers. Just put on EBC breaks all the way around (parking break block -off). Maxxis Razrs on all four rims with bead locks on the back. BRAND NEW plastic and also have extra Yellow plastic that goes with it. I also have a box of stock parts that came off the bike when I replaced some of the pieces with aftermarket that goes with it.”

Seller____________________________________________ ____

Buyer_____________________________________________ ___

Witness___________________________________________ ____

marksuttonjr
05-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Quads in KY don't have to be titled - but you should have received a Manufacturers Statement of Origin from the guy you bought the quad from (which can be taken to the DMV and turned into a title).

Indiana is about the same way. Only difference is that you can NOT get one titled you can only get a Certificate of Origin when you go to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Everyone THINKS that the Certificat of Origin is a Title, but it is not.