PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

DaveEX7
04-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Well when/if I get my 400 heres the list of mods im gonna do to it..... lemme know if you'd change/add anything....

~CT Pipe(either slip on or system)
~K&N Filter w/outerwear
~Bandit Rear Tires
~TAG X-5 Bars
~AC Nerfs

nojoke4stroke
04-06-2003, 02:38 PM
my friend has bandits on his 250r and they dont hook up for crap,they didnt hook up on his 400 either so id go with razr's,have full set on my 400 and i love em.as for the nerfs,id go with dg but its really your call,both are solid.everything else looks good,id go with the full ct system though,might as well go for it if youre gonna mess with your exhaust.

Giz400ex
04-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Depending where you buy your CT, the prices I've seen are up there $$$$ and for that kind of money you pretty much have choice of anything!! I like AC's and won't buy anything different. Bandits are way to heavy, depending on what kind of riding you do determines the tire that will satisfy your riding needs. K&N is good, and bars to ME are just bars!!! It doesn't really matter me!!

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Depending where you buy your CT, the prices I've seen are up there $$$$ and for that kind of money you pretty much have choice of anything!! I like AC's and won't buy anything different. Bandits are way to heavy, depending on what kind of riding you do determines the tire that will satisfy your riding needs. K&N is good, and bars to ME are just bars!!! It doesn't really matter me!!

Well im gonna buy the CT from CT Racing, and the slip on is $272.95, and the system is $495.95.

And ya i think i am gonna go with the razrs, but my friend that comes into PA from NY has bandits onhis DS650, and they havent got any wear on them, but i still think that the razrs are good.

And I should only get beadlocks if Im racing? OR doesnt it really matter.

Steve-o 400EX
04-07-2003, 03:54 AM
Dont get a K&N, the foams are better. The k&n with the outerwear is more restrictive than a foam and without it there is not enough filtration. Get a Sparks or Uni. U'll be happier in the long run. Stay away from bandits too, they are too hard, my friends got em and he hates em. Unless you do a lot of road riding they suck. They are horrible in snow and mud and slide too much on dry dirt. Everything else is top notch on ur list though.

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Dont get a K&N, the foams are better. The k&n with the outerwear is more restrictive than a foam and without it there is not enough filtration. Get a Sparks or Uni. U'll be happier in the long run. Stay away from bandits too, they are too hard, my friends got em and he hates em. Unless you do a lot of road riding they suck. They are horrible in snow and mud and slide too much on dry dirt. Everything else is top notch on ur list though.

How about a WB Powerfilter?

I was thinkin Razr 2's or Holeshots anyway, juss threw that out there to see what everyone thought.

Steve-o 400EX
04-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Yea, the WB powerfilter is okay, but you have to use the stock core with it. This is very restrictive. But the rule of thumb is u cant go wrong with foam. Yea, the maxxis Razrs are really good tires as well as holeshots.

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Steve, what do you think of your Sparks filter?

Yellow2001400ex
04-07-2003, 07:26 AM
My opinion: I'd go with either a full HMF or Yoshimura exhaust and with the tires i'd go with Holeshot MX(what I use) or Maxxis Razr's. I have a White Brothers E-series slip-on but if I were to change I'd get a full HMF exhaust. But what you want sounds like a pretty good setup. It's your 400 so I'd do what I wanted and not care what anyone thinks. Good luck.

Paul400ex2002
04-07-2003, 07:43 AM
i found that the white powerfilter seems to flow a noticeably higher amount of air than the uni.

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Yellow2001400ex
My opinion: I'd go with either a full HMF or Yoshimura exhaust and with the tires i'd go with Holeshot MX(what I use) or Maxxis Razr's. I have a White Brothers E-series slip-on but if I were to change I'd get a full HMF exhaust. But what you want sounds like a pretty good setup. It's your 400 so I'd do what I wanted and not care what anyone thinks. Good luck.

Well heres the scoop....... I haveta help pay for the new 400 like to buy it and i need to give up all of my $1200 i have saved up, so i haveta save all over again and thats why im just goin with a slip on now and maybe later il shorten the silencer and buy a header.

And to help, my parents are payin for the tires so that helps alot.

And about the Holeshot MX.... how do they wear cause I do ALOT of road riding?

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Paul400ex2002
i found that the white powerfilter seems to flow a noticeably higher amount of air than the uni.

So would you say get the WB with outerwear?

nojoke4stroke
04-07-2003, 07:59 AM
i ride lots of roads too and have had holeshots and razrs and the razrs last considerably longer.as for the filter,go with a k&n,oil it well then immediately ride in some dusty conditions while the oils fresh.ive tested this method over and over by cleaning my airboot,running in heavy dust at the track and sandpits,then inspecting for any particles inside the airboot and everytime its squeaky clean,i dont use an outerwear either.all my friends do this too and none of us have had any motor problems since we started using them.you could also go with an lrd full exhaust,they are a little cheaper at $435 but im not sure of the performance difference.

Str8Wicked
04-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
Well when/if I get my 400 heres the list of mods im gonna do to it..... lemme know if you'd change/add anything....

~CT Pipe(either slip on or system)
~K&N Filter w/outerwear
~Bandit Rear Tires
~TAG X-5 Bars
~AC Nerfs

You shouldn't put a CT full system unless you are going to build the engine... They say you lose more power than with the straight slip on for a stock engine... I'll have my slip on for sale very soon. The spark arrestor may or may not be for sale with it... I haven't decided.......

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
You shouldn't put a CT full system unless you are going to build the engine... They say you lose more power than with the straight slip on for a stock engine... I'll have my slip on for sale very soon. The spark arrestor may or may not be for sale with it... I haven't decided.......

Ya i know, I was talkin to Steve-O, and i told him that I was gonna go with the WB.

Cause the CT is a engine builder, and im not gonna altar the engine.

Sportrax10
04-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Make sure you get AC Pro peg nerfs, you will regret it if you dont. UNI filter.
Razr, Holeshot, or Turf Tamers.
As for exhaust, I like the LRD, Sparks. I heard that the CT is really loud.

heavy_d
04-07-2003, 09:03 AM
K&N with outerwear is a waste of money, just go with UNI and get a handle bar in the color you like, but a handle bar is a handle bar

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Make sure you get AC Pro peg nerfs, you will regret it if you dont. UNI filter.
Razr, Holeshot, or Turf Tamers.
As for exhaust, I like the LRD, Sparks. I heard that the CT is really loud.

Ya but when i get the pro pegs, i cant replace the peg once it gets worn down.....

And i think turf tamers wear down too fast.....

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 10:28 AM
How much of a difference in power will I get outta these mods instead of the first ones......

~WB Pipe
~WB Powerfilter
~Outerwear for Filter
~Razr 2 Rear Tires (20x10x8)

Steve-o 400EX
04-08-2003, 03:46 AM
How much of a difference in power will I get outta these mods instead of the first ones......

~WB Pipe
~WB Powerfilter
~Outerwear for Filter
~Razr 2 Rear Tires (20x10x8)

Ya wont need the outerwear for the Powerfilter. Since its foam it will filter better than a K&N. Everything else is perfect. I love my e-series, but if noise isnt an issue the R4 is a great pipe too.;)

TIGER72
04-08-2003, 03:47 PM
I HAVE A CT SLIP ON, AND I LOVE IT. I HAD TO RE-JET OF COURSE, AND IT IS A LITTLE LOUD... BUT NO LOUDER THAN MOST OTHER PIPES. I ALSO HAVE THE K&N FILTER WITH THE OUTER WEAR, BUT I THINK I AM SWITCHING OVER TO A UNI FILTER. I RUN KENDA KLAWS, AND THEY SEEM TO HAVE A GREAT TREAD LIFE, AND HAVE HANDLED WELL ON A VARIETY OF TERRAIN. JUST MY OPINION.

quader400
04-08-2003, 04:24 PM
go with the k and n, dont get white bros all my friends who have gotten it said they wish they didnt cause they hate it. tires get razrs cause they last. and bars its up to you how ever you feel comfertable.

ROGERS
04-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Here is my opinion. The first thing you should get is shocks. It makes all of the difference in the world.

With properly set up suspension, even with a stock motor, you will be able to ride much faster and stay more comfortable (less fatigued) than you would if you had a few more horses from the mods you listed.

If you are planning to race MX or XC you will have an advantage every time over someone who is all engine. I have a wall full of trophies to prove it can be done. ;) (And all my money has gone to suspension. stock motor, except my home made pipe).

That is the best advice I can give. :)

p.s. Tires would be a good investment too. Wait until you wear out your stockers first though:D

Later,
-Josh

shamisc
04-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Here's what you need:

= White Bros. full exhaust
= K&N filter and outerwear
= AC Nerfs. Nothing else compares!
= Tag T2 bars are GREAT. Not sure of t5

The WB pipe makes just as much power as Sparks and Ct but it has a spark arrester for riding on forestry land. Sparks and CT have a ceramic coating. I'm not sure about CT, but the Sparks coating SUCKS! It will rust in about a month. WB is stainless so that means no rust!

K&N has a million mile warranty on their filters. I don't know about you, but I don't think any quad will ever reach a million miles! Plus it has superb airflow.

AC propegs period. They make the only REAL nerf bar.

As far as tires, I think Razr's and holeshot are ugly as $hit and they don't hook up for $hit!! I've had them both. Turf tamers do hook up great but they aren't the prettiest. In my opinion, Kenda has done their research on their tires! Read the article they had in DirtWheels. Their reveiw stated that it was the best handling, best traction, best durability, and best looking tire they have ever tested. They also stated that it would be their only choice of tire form here on out until someone else came up with something better. I love mine. I got rid of all my tires and now all I have is Kenda Klaw front and Klaw and Knarly rears. I first saw their tire early last year when my buddy bought some. He bought them in Jan.'02 and they still have just as much tread as my new ones! I would say they last a long time, huh?

All the above is just tried and true info. What you decide to go with is your opinion and I'm sure you enjoy whatever you get! Hope this helps out!!;)

Steve-o 400EX
04-09-2003, 03:53 AM
Like mentioned above, suspension is very important, but I believe a pipe, jets and airfilter are more important, the difference is immence, shocks wont help you in a drag race or making it up a hillclimb or even on open trail woods riding where the trails are flat and curves are long as smoothe. You need that little bit of extra power, its a must. I would recommend getting shocks before any motor mods or usesless dress up stuff.

YZROOSTINYA
04-09-2003, 05:56 AM
my buddy has a web cam and a high comp piston

I could do all the hills he did when mine was stock, and there BIG

get a k&n with outerwear. they flow MORE than ANY other filter even when combined. I run a the stock foam filter without the internal baffle when its really dusty. no probs so far.

get a slip-on not a full system. get one used off ebay for 150 bucks.

a good set off bars is a god idea. trying differnat bends will make a big diff. i like mine low and straight, more stabilty, but i stand alot when I ride.

my buddy sit and they like the pull back bars.

the stock shocks suck. but they will do. save some money buy buying quality used stuff. or just save but keeping your stock filter and removing the baffle. just tape the end. its ghetto but it works.

and spend the rest on a pair of non rezzie works. your like 130 lbs i think so they will get you through.

get the bike and ride it for awhile. you will know what you want to change.

bars,tires,suspension are what made the biggest diff on my quad, abd stem because mine is a +1+1

YZROOSTINYA
04-09-2003, 06:01 AM
the k and n's do wear. and I highly DOUBT the warrenty them in off road conditions but i could be wrong.

i have had mine for a bout a year and its still good. i need a new outerwaer though.

the full exhasut is too much for a stock quad. people would pass me on stock quad when i had my full system on my stock motor

i dont like nerfs but thats just me. I used to ride bikes and the pegs on those are a 1/3 the size of quads. i am just use to them being small so the stock set up is like a platform to me

although i replaced my kick plates with AERO TECH aluminum plates.

i had a quad with nerfs before iand i took them off. they are too big and I had a hard time shifting, my boots are a size 12 though?

YZROOSTINYA
04-09-2003, 06:02 AM
get any filter you want. just make sure its clean, a K&N will flow more though

Str8Wicked
04-09-2003, 06:03 AM
The CT Slip on is a great pipe... It don't matter if your not going to build your engine, that is why they make a slip on for those people who do not intend to build there bikes... it is a great pipe, the only reason I will be selling mine is because I am going to be building the bike soon and will need a full pipe system.....

YZROOSTINYA
04-09-2003, 06:04 AM
i didn't read any of these posts

if your racing do suspension first. just pull the restrciter out of the stock filter and cover the whole with duct tape. i noticed a diff just by doing this.

and put some holes in the lid

DaveEX7
04-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
my buddy has a web cam and a high comp piston

I could do all the hills he did when mine was stock, and there BIG

get a k&n with outerwear. they flow MORE than ANY other filter even when combined. I run a the stock foam filter without the internal baffle when its really dusty. no probs so far.

get a slip-on not a full system. get one used off ebay for 150 bucks.

a good set off bars is a god idea. trying differnat bends will make a big diff. i like mine low and straight, more stabilty, but i stand alot when I ride.

my buddy sit and they like the pull back bars.

the stock shocks suck. but they will do. save some money buy buying quality used stuff. or just save but keeping your stock filter and removing the baffle. just tape the end. its ghetto but it works.

and spend the rest on a pair of non rezzie works. your like 130 lbs i think so they will get you through.

get the bike and ride it for awhile. you will know what you want to change.

bars,tires,suspension are what made the biggest diff on my quad, abd stem because mine is a +1+1

Well for the bend of the bars i was lookin at CR High.........
The pipe is gonna be a WB slip on (for now)
The tires are gonna be Razr 2s (with bandit fronts)
The shocks I liked at first were Works, but im hearin different things.
The filter is gonna stay as a K&N with the outerwear and airbox lid removed

GOOD NEWS as soon as i sell the 250 my dad said im gettin the 400!!!
So il be able to test these things out. Il keep you posted.

Steve-o 400EX
04-12-2003, 05:16 AM
Well for the bend of the bars i was lookin at CR High.........
The pipe is gonna be a WB slip on (for now)
The tires are gonna be Razr 2s (with bandit fronts)
The shocks I liked at first were Works, but im hearin different things.
The filter is gonna stay as a K&N with the outerwear and airbox lid removed

GOOD NEWS as soon as i sell the 250 my dad said im gettin the 400!!!
So il be able to test these things out. Il keep you posted.

Sounds like a good setup. Let us know how it works.;)

DaveEX7
04-13-2003, 12:37 PM
BUT!!

First I haveta sell the 250, before i can even think about puttin stuff on the 400.... thats the bad part.

ex kid
04-13-2003, 01:01 PM
my opinion on the set up

get the tires for what you ride in...if you ride woods go with some 22'' razars or if you ride mx maybe some holeshot mx's. i have 20 inch XCT's and ride/race all woods and they work fine

exhaust wise check out HMF but if noise is a concern forget it, the WB sounds good-as for the jetting see what the manufacturer reccomends and go to your honda dealer and buy some keihn jets so you dont blow 50 bucks on a kn/dyno jet kit liek i did

filter-i would get a uni or twin air i have a uni and it's fine, i like foam casue i ride/race woods

bars- anything is better than the stock honda bars, one roll over and there toast unless you want to bend them back. i would deff. go with tag most of the pros use em so there's a hint

Steve-o 400EX
04-14-2003, 08:51 AM
I wouldnt recommend 22's unless you really need em. Just get a good skid plate, I recommend PRM, and u'll be fine.