PDA

View Full Version : here is what will make a 400ex sounds bad *****..(look at this guys)

black400ex611
04-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Me and my buddy were thinking today how to make are quad loud and run better.....then we thought he lets put dual on it....my question is to u guys that know your $hit..can it be done and would it help it out or slow her down..would we have to run digg muflers on it...i think it can be done i just wanna get u guys input on this subject...

Castor-426ex
04-06-2003, 01:35 PM
they do make duals for the 400

DMC alien is a double barrel system i beleive

black400ex611
04-06-2003, 01:55 PM
yea i know that...but am talking running a new pipe on the other side and making true duals..that would look bad *****....come on guys give me input on this

J25
04-06-2003, 01:57 PM
its very possible, you will need someone to make you a header for the other side and make a mount for the exhaust, i think dual t-4s would be cool as heck

black400ex611
04-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Yea...i was thinking more like HMF but my question is when u split them off would that mean u hafe to put a diff kinda muffler on it.

bradley300
04-06-2003, 03:55 PM
i think that 2 completly seperate systems for 1 cylinder would not have enough back pressure to make the motor run well at all low end. top end would probably scream thogh. my vote is dont do it.

WildCatRacer
04-06-2003, 04:31 PM
dont waste your time. why would you want your quad louder?

black400ex611
04-06-2003, 04:37 PM
i dunno we are just the kinda ppl that like loud quads...i mean we dont race or anything.....Well what we were thinking dont run a 400 ex salancer run like a 200 cc mifler sence ur slitting it up instead of like 400 there together u have like 200....not saying am gona deff do it yet...wont cost that much i know guys that can bed me pipe and that just the mufflers wold be what i would have to pay for...

Paul400ex2002
04-06-2003, 04:51 PM
white brothers makes some universal sized mufflers, like with 1, 1-1/2, and 2 inch inlets. Or something like that.

Juggalo
04-06-2003, 04:52 PM
there is a company that makes an exhaust that would be perfect for this. i forget the name tho. i wanna say D&D but thats not it. its like 2 silencers that are connected by a peice of metal in the middle. if you cut them apart and made a bracket so one could connect to where the tool kit goes and get a pipe bent to fit the other side it would be very possible.

SANDTRAX361
04-06-2003, 05:08 PM
well if you wanna be a red neck go ahead and make your quad louder and put "duals" on it. only rednecks think louder is better and duals on a 400ex would look gay as hell. just my opinion.
later
Grant Snider
occra#361

ridesa02400EX
04-06-2003, 06:02 PM
whats wrong with rednecks?

ChadEXer
04-07-2003, 03:34 AM
I was at Little Sahara one time and seen a 400EX that had a pipe on each side of the quad like that. Sounded funny and just didnt look right to me.

Extremeracer167
04-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by black400ex611
Well what we were thinking dont run a 400 ex salancer run like a 200 cc mifler sence ur slitting it up instead of like 400 there together u have like 200

WOw your a genious:huh

Its ppl like u that ruin it for the rest of us. You wanna know why ppl try and BAN ATV? Ppl that want there quads to be "louder" casue thats cool right??:rolleyes:

NoWingNoPrayer
04-07-2003, 06:06 AM
I have seen it done at crooms Before there was a kid running around with dual exaust yes it looked good but it sounded like sh*t!..... as for who made it and ow they got it around the battery/airbox, no clue.

ChadEXer
04-07-2003, 06:23 AM
What is a 200cc mifler??:confused: :p
I wonder if I take my 400cc mifler off and put a 600cc mifler on it, if it will make it louder and faster??:o

250x#93
04-07-2003, 09:32 AM
I think it would be cool, if it would work, I dunno. But give it a try then will know:devil

nacs400ex
04-07-2003, 09:39 AM
I got the best idea for you, Rico actually came up with it but here it is. Why dont you just do this...........

Adds tons of performance and you can even use coffee for packing! You can also use a coffee filter for the spark arrestor:blah

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Well if you put a dual on a 400, wouldnt it be like a banshee??
I mean like would you hafta get 2 of everything like 2 filters, 2 carbs, and all that fun stuff?

Extremeracer167
04-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
Well if you put a dual on a 400, wouldnt it be like a banshee??
I mean like would you hafta get 2 of everything like 2 filters, 2 carbs, and all that fun stuff?

U didnt just say that:huh

ChadEXer
04-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
LOL, I was thinking that myself!!

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167

Hmm... ya looks like I did

As I can see by your comments i mustnt know much about putting a dual on a quad.

I was thinking you know how a banshee has 2 carbs, 2 filters, and 2 pipes? Well I was wandering would it be the same way with a 400, like youd hafta buy 2 of everythin.

And this time a simple yes or no answer will be appreciated

swamprider7
04-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Do you know why a banshee has 2 of everything..........because it has 2 CYLINDERS! OMG, that made my day.....LOL.:blah

OutlawEX
04-07-2003, 11:58 AM
I wouldnt suggest it:rolleyes:

ridered86
04-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by black400ex611
yea i know that...but am talking running a new pipe on the other side and making true duals..that would look bad *****....come on guys give me input on this

it would be TRUE dual exhaust cause you have the two pipes all the way to the back of the quad, and if you thinking one on each side than you must be worried about looks and not performance.:o

DaveEX7
04-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by swamprider7
Do you know why a banshee has 2 of everything..........because it has 2 CYLINDERS! OMG, that made my day.....LOL.:blah

ok..... you can stop tryin to be cool now....... just because someone didnt know somethin about another quad doesnt automatically make you the one to piss on their mistake.

AndrewRRR
04-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Casper has true dual exhaust, of course it's still 2 cylinders per pipe, not 1 :macho

Pro400EXC
04-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
Hmm... ya looks like I did

As I can see by your comments i mustnt know much about putting a dual on a quad.

I was thinking you know how a banshee has 2 carbs, 2 filters, and 2 pipes? Well I was wandering would it be the same way with a 400, like youd hafta buy 2 of everythin.

And this time a simple yes or no answer will be appreciated

Haha that made my day too.....

:devil

Dude you didn't know why the banshe had dual-exhaust?Thats liek not knowing your own name.....geez kids and crack now days....

Also about the dual-exhaust...it totally is gay.....Like someone said b4 it would add NO performance,look gay,sound gay,and the maybe some retards might think its cool....

Also about noise?you want noise?Why don't you just run some dryer vent tubing from the end of your exhaustinto your helmet and you can hear all the noise you want...and sicne you don't race,it weill be sooo cool,and your friends will think its cool too..

Like I said before I will say again.....

WHY JIMMY RIG STUFF FOR YOUR QUAD?

I mean wouln't the Aftermarket come out w/ a dual exhaust if ti was even for a sh*t? They are shureley smarter than Billy Bob here or Bobby Sue...

Oh and also,yes dude BANSHE's ahve dual cyl's a 400ex has 1,just cause it has DUAL headpipes,doesn't make it a 2cyl and have to have dual everything...

ma if we all had a $1 ever time someone says somehting stupid or ignorant on here, we'd be like Bill Gates....

RuffRyder400ex
04-07-2003, 01:06 PM
dd racing is here http://www.ddracing.com/store.asp

ridesa02400EX
04-07-2003, 01:11 PM
who cares if he didnt know that a banshee had two cylinders at one time all of you didnt know a thing about quads maybe he is still new to the sport you guys dont gotta go makin fun of him because he didnt know something

wilkin250r
04-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i think that 2 completly seperate systems for 1 cylinder would not have enough back pressure to make the motor run well at all low end. top end would probably scream thogh. my vote is dont do it.

Four strokes don't need back pressure to build compression like two-strokes do. (getting on the pipe) In a four stroke, less exhaust restriction will give you better performance.

Dual exhaust is not a bad idea. Without getting any louder, you can cut your exhaust restriction in half. It will give you the same type of performance gains that an aftermarket pipe and exhaust will give you. With less restriction, you don't use as much horsepower just pushing exhaust gases. This give you more power to the ground instead of out your exhaust pipe.

Four strokes don't have tuned pipes like a two-stroke, so you don't need two 200cc instead of one 400cc, it just doesn't work like that. A muffler is a muffler.

Two things to consider when converting to a dual exhaust system. Make sure your headpipe diameter is big enough. It's possible to create two headpipes that have MORE restriction than one single headpipe. That wouldn't gain you anything.

Second is routing. Don't put the headpipe anywhere you will burn yourself, or melt something else.

Good luck...

AndrewRRR
04-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Thats true to a point... too little restriction in a 4 stroke and you'll kill your bottom end performance. There is also a concern of burning exhaust valves with too little restriction.
2 strokes have pipes tuned for the motor because they rely on a return wave of pressure. The design of a 2 stroke pipe scavenges burnt gasses from the cylinder, the return wave (caused by the reducing-size cone before the stinger) stuffs the unburnt mixture (the exhaust will keep pulling stuff out of the cylinder until the piston closes the port) back into the cylinder at the right time.

wilkin250r
04-08-2003, 03:55 AM
Yes, the whole idea behind tuning a two-stroke pipe is the exhaust gases create a harmonic sound wave inside the pipe for a given RPM. Four-strokes don't rely on back pressure to build compression, its all in the valves. But it does require work to push those exhaust gases past the valves an out the exhaust pipe. If your using power to push exhaust, then you have less that you can put to the ground.

By this reasoning, less exhaust restriction equals more horsepower, I don't see how less restriction can kill bottom end.:huh

wilkin250r
04-08-2003, 03:59 AM
Please understand, I'm not jumping all over you. Personally, I've never designed my own exhaust, I'm not an expert. I'm a mathmatician, and the reasoning doesn't make sense.

If you know other factors relating exhaust restriction and bottom end, fill me in, I'm certainly not opposed to learning something new.:)

Steve-o 400EX
04-08-2003, 04:02 AM
DONT DO IT!!! If you want loud and power, buy a sparks. It is a huge waste of a lot of money to do such a thing and ur gunna burn ur valves out before ya even start the thing. Lets just use our heads here.:ermm:

MSL
04-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Come on guys people come here to ask questions and learn about quads. The only dumb question is a question not asked.
If you just want to bash someone because they dont know something then you need to quit posting in threads where questions are asked. Some people get off on running others down
and thats a shame. If your here to help then help, If you want to be a smart***** then do it somewhere else.

skemp
04-08-2003, 06:13 AM
Yeah guys, take it easy on him, he just didn't know, geez :huh

Anyway, wilkin, you do need backpressure in a 4-stroke to have good bottom end power. If you want to see what I mean, take off your exhaust completely, wear some earplugs, and take it for a spin. The backpressure acts as something for the motor to push against. It is the same thing as with a high compression piston or head setup, it has good bottom end, but if it is too high, it can restrict the top end from trying to push against the high pressure. Less restriction can increase horsepower, but it is all top end horsepower.

trx400ex
04-08-2003, 06:21 AM
I think we are all dumber for having read this....

Also if someone didnt already say this, MORE WEIGHT think about it, some of us will spend an extra 500$ to save 3/4lb and then you go and strap on twice the weight of your exhaust, any performance gains you had from the dual (little or none)would be offset by the extra weight..

phatswinn
04-08-2003, 06:39 AM
guys he was asking for help on something he wanted to do

and if you have the money and the patience to try this go ahead and do it and it it doesent sound or look like you wanted it to you can always go pack to what you had

do what you want to do ,not what we say would be cool looking or whatever

thelegendarycd
04-08-2003, 08:18 AM
1-i'd imagine it would sound bad.
2-yes, it would add more weight.
3-you would have to be careful with backpressure being too little unless.....
4.....you have a really built motor.

i think it would be cool looking if you wanted a nice show quad, but would do nothing for performance or sound.....

black400ex611
04-08-2003, 11:52 AM
u know what to some of u guys...that are talking $hit on me i dont care.....u dont have to ready this or psot ur smart ***** remarks...for all u know this could help the quad but then again it might not...oh well how would u know if u dont try it....I got my air box being made right now to remove the battery and all that from the other side...to u guys that are sticking up for me thanx...all i am trying to do is make my quad diff and maybe it might help it out if i do it right...its not gona cost me much i know ppl that can do the pipe for me cheap and my air box am getting made is gona be free..and made out of alumanium...SO if u guys that dont talk $hit pls post and tell me what u really think i want real coments and truthful ones not smart ***** coment from u other ppl

doublezero
04-08-2003, 01:08 PM
if it were up to me i wouldnt do it. they look alright but i had a friend of mine put duals on his raptor and he lost power alot of power. he also got smoked by a stock 400

Mxbubs
04-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Hey, this sounds like a good idea.

Now you can have matching burn marks on both calf muscles.:D

quader400
04-08-2003, 03:02 PM
for the people who are talking chit back off. it is all personal preferance. if he wants to let him dont go being an *****. all he wanted was help. i think it would look cool but from what i have read if it is not perfeft it will loose power. but u should try it and post some pics and tell how it worked out

DoPeExRiDeR20
04-08-2003, 03:19 PM
dude ive been wondering about this for a long while also..... damn, dual e-series pipes would look kool as he!!. if ya do it make sure to get sum pics up and let me know how u did it........ thnx for posting the question, sum of these posts helped me think bout doing it more....

Pro400EXC
04-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Well,all i really wanted to say, is if it did anything for the motor,the aftermarket companies would have already thought of it,i mean pro Circuit,FMF,Sparks and so on don't have computers and all that technology to just guess there pipes they make MIGHT make power....

born-to-race
04-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Would it even work? I always thought it was 1 pipe
for each cylinder. for cars headers turn 8 into 2,
is it possible to turn 1 into 2?

josh
04-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ridesa02400EX
who cares if he didnt know that a banshee had two cylinders at one time all of you didnt know a thing about quads maybe he is still new to the sport you guys dont gotta go makin fun of him because he didnt know something

i agree, that was very f*cking immature to everybody who put him down, who cares if he didn't know a shee had 2 cyl's, all of you never knew that at one point, and all you were new to the sport at one point also so leave the damn kid alone, when you make people fell really stupid about something they normally stop asking as many questions and prob start to loose interest in learning about the sport cuz you guys just make him feel stupid, so leave the kid alone,

JUST LIKE SOMEONE SAID EARLIER, KIDS AND CRACK THESE DAYS

this is a site for everyone so let the kid learn!

josh
04-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Four strokes don't need back pressure to build compression like two-strokes do. (getting on the pipe) In a four stroke, less exhaust restriction will give you better performance.

Dual exhaust is not a bad idea. Without getting any louder, you can cut your exhaust restriction in half. It will give you the same type of performance gains that an aftermarket pipe and exhaust will give you. With less restriction, you don't use as much horsepower just pushing exhaust gases. This give you more power to the ground instead of out your exhaust pipe.

Four strokes don't have tuned pipes like a two-stroke, so you don't need two 200cc instead of one 400cc, it just doesn't work like that. A muffler is a muffler.

Two things to consider when converting to a dual exhaust system. Make sure your headpipe diameter is big enough. It's possible to create two headpipes that have MORE restriction than one single headpipe. That wouldn't gain you anything.

Second is routing. Don't put the headpipe anywhere you will burn yourself, or melt something else.

Good luck...

that's all true to a point but bye taking away too much backpressure you don't get anything out of it, all you really do is loose torque which is the main key in acceleration and holeshots, so my vote goes to a NO on the duel exhaust, just take what the top manufacturures do and buy a fitted system, becuase even if you got duel to work for some ungodly reason then you would have a hell of a time figuring out jetting on something that you jimmy rigged up, so i wouldn't bother

Steve-o 400EX
04-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by born-to-race
Would it even work? I always thought it was 1 pipe
for each cylinder. for cars headers turn 8 into 2,
is it possible to turn 1 into 2?

The 400ex has 2 headers on 1 cylinder.

Pro400EXC, I agree with what you said, if it gave any more hp then one of the major companies would have already done it.

Doibugu2
04-10-2003, 04:02 AM
The fact that some of you guys rip on him for wanting to be different is a joke. How do you think improvements get made. By some guy coming out with an idea thats totally off the wall. And then improving on the idea. If you keep failing at something, your adventually going to come up with an idea that works.

We already know that dual pipes work. DMC and that other company do it.

And I will bet the reason why none of the big companies haven't made true dual exhaust is because it would force the quad owner to relocate the battery and stuff. How many average Joe's are going to spend $300+ on an exhaust and then another $100+ for a new air box. Not to mention the time it would take to move everything then install a new airbox. So how many of those exhaust do you think are going to be sold? Not many.

If you don't have anything nice to say, envoke rule #1.:devious:

josh
04-10-2003, 12:33 PM
i'm not speaking for everybody but what i was saying is backpressure is an issue with the dual, on almost all the aftermarket pipes i'm sure that since they have paid design teams and flowbenches and every bit of knowledge and experience in building exhaust that they know there is no reason to bother with a second muffler, it won't make it sound any better, it would take away too much backpressure making it only useful after you hit like 40 mph and there is no need in the world for a second muffler on a single cyl, think about it, if it was practical and or useful then aftermarket companies would bother commin out with one

Steve-o 400EX
04-11-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
The fact that some of you guys rip on him for wanting to be different is a joke. How do you think improvements get made. By some guy coming out with an idea thats totally off the wall. And then improving on the idea. If you keep failing at something, your adventually going to come up with an idea that works.

We already know that dual pipes work. DMC and that other company do it.

And I will bet the reason why none of the big companies haven't made true dual exhaust is because it would force the quad owner to relocate the battery and stuff. How many average Joe's are going to spend $300+ on an exhaust and then another $100+ for a new air box. Not to mention the time it would take to move everything then install a new airbox. So how many of those exhaust do you think are going to be sold? Not many.

If you don't have anything nice to say, envoke rule #1.:devious:

Yea, but there would definately be companies out there that would offer it if it would make a difference. There is just too little back pressure for it, I dont think it would sound too good either.

If ur gunna do it, my advise to you is to get a new cam, rockers, better valves and springs cuz its gunna do havoc on em, probably a high compression piston too, and i would get a carb that will flow more air because of the lack of back pressure. I dont think its too intelligent of an idea for a stock motor. I could see it happening on a 440 though.

Doibugu2
04-11-2003, 03:32 AM
I don't know enough about engines to say if it can or cannot be done. But how do you explain the DMC exhaust?

But my statement was more directed to those individuals that completely knocked his idea.

Steve-o 400EX
04-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Right, right. The DMC actually goes into 1 pipe for a segment and the bottom exhaust hole is smaller than the top.

DaveEX7
04-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Josh
[B]i agree, that was very f*cking immature to everybody who put him down, who cares if he didn't know a shee had 2 cyl's, all of you never knew that at one point, and all you were new to the sport at one point also so leave the damn kid alone, when you make people fell really stupid about something they normally stop asking as many questions and prob start to loose interest in learning about the sport cuz you guys just make him feel stupid, so leave the kid alone,

JUST LIKE SOMEONE SAID EARLIER, KIDS AND CRACK THESE DAYS

this is a site for everyone so let the kid learn!B]

Thanks Josh.....

At least some people dont piss on other peoples mistakes.

And someone said earlier that they want a real opinion..... well I say try it out and if it dont work..... hey at least you know for sure what will work and wont.

Rastus
04-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Actually....you probably could put Dual carbs on a 400. So, then you would have to buy 2 of everything, 2 air filters, 2 carbs, and 2 silencers. :blah See? It could happen....

Wouldn't be economical, or easy to Jet, but it could happen....

No offense to anyone, but come on. Please spell-check, and proof read something before you post it...some of those replys I couldn't even read.

Lay off the man, we wouldn't even have ATV's if someone hadn't taken a chance, and tried it! :macho