PDA

View Full Version : z400 vs. 400ex

fiffer
04-06-2003, 01:15 PM
besides the liquid cooling and reverse and the problems of the z is it really that much better. u can get a ex for atlease a grand less w/o the problems. i dunno tell me what u think and ur expreiences are

04-06-2003, 01:22 PM
i like the 400ex i never rode a z but i know the ex is super reliable

trailburner
04-06-2003, 01:27 PM
don't get me wrong the Z is a very good quad,but like you said for about a grand less you can get a 400ex & if you pipe it Its basicaly as fast as the Z, I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend, oh yea the 400ex looks better!!!!LOL.... :D

fiffer
04-06-2003, 01:59 PM
personally i like ther looks of the 400ex better too. i also like the reliablity. i think ill miss the reverse on my 250x and liquid cooling would be nice even tho im used to not having it. my ideal quad is a honda made z motor w/ everything else on the ex not to fast but i dont want the fastest. thaNX for the replies keep em coming

bluebaron
04-06-2003, 02:29 PM
i rode a friends kfx, well i thoug it was a little doggie, i though it woould have more power:confused2

dirtslinger
04-06-2003, 03:15 PM
What problems? There's no problems that I'm aware of other than the frame crackin from IDIOTS tryin to do way to big of jumps for a stock frame. I've never ridin a EX but I don't know where ur gettin doggie from. I hardly ride my dad's raptor because it doesn't rev as fast as my Z. I think it has A LOT of power for a 400. I want to ride a EX to see how good they perform myself.

MATT

freakystone
04-06-2003, 03:39 PM
It is funny how people with less quads use phrases like, "it isnt that much slower" or "I was on his heels".

I have owned a lot of quads, including a Mojave, Warrior, 650P, 400EX, two Z400, a Cannondale Speed and many, many more. Fact is, you line up all of them and they are all within a few quad lengths in a 100yd. drag... Well, the Speed would be way ahead of the pack but other than that, you get the point.

My view is simple... The 400EX and the Z400 are both fine quads in need of mods. The 400EX probably handles better but since the Z has a better, roomier seat setup and revs higher, an aggressive rider will do better on the Z.

kawasaki_ridah
04-06-2003, 04:23 PM
a 400 ex looking better than a z hahahahahahahahahaha thats a good one hahaha i have rode both and ppl who have a 400 ex has rode mine and they agree that mine is way more torqey and is alot faster jumps better and everything, its funny how they put liquid coolent and reverse on the z and still came out lighter than a ex and thats why the ex dont have reverse lol but if i didnt have a kfx i would have a 400ex they are a good machine awesome in fact but they dont even compare it to a z anymore

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-06-2003, 04:58 PM
I personally like the EX more, its reliable, cheaper, and the power difference isn't much so no biggie there. You can't go wrong with the EX :macho

freakystone
04-07-2003, 01:43 AM
I dont get the whole, "the 400EX is cheaper" comments. What is the best price OTD for a new 400EX? Chicago Cycle has the 400EX only $200 cheaper than the Z400 OTD. I bought my first Z for $4954 OTD and my second for $5400 OTD but that included the full extended warranty.

zfire_28
04-07-2003, 02:42 AM
My friend has a Z450 stroker with cams, ported/polished, fcr carb, and +1 tooth on front sprocket(stock size tires). when I drag race him we stay pretty even till I top out , at this point he passes me, and after he is about 2 quad lengths ahead of me he shifts into 5th. I also am geared stock w/stock size tires and mods listed below. I don't know what his top speed is but it must be NUTS.......not sayn either is better, I love my EX, just thought I would share.

Striker49
04-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by freakystone
I dont get the whole, "the 400EX is cheaper" comments. What is the best price OTD for a new 400EX? Chicago Cycle has the 400EX only $200 cheaper than the Z400 OTD. I bought my first Z for $4954 OTD and my second for $5400 OTD but that included the full extended warranty.

Well, KFXs run 5k here and 400exs run for $4,400 with $300 bonus bucks. :ermm:

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-07-2003, 04:29 AM
All I know is around here you can't find a Z for cheaper than $5699...so ya...its alot more and not worth it to me whn you can get an EX for like 1k cheaper.

hotrodhonda400
04-07-2003, 05:39 AM
I didn't really see that much difference in the Z and EX other than the Z could back up a hell of alot faster than my EX....Hmmm maybe thats why everyone says there faster:D

Fleshwound
04-07-2003, 05:55 AM
what is all interchangable between the z and the ex??
like if i bought a z400 what aftermarket parts could i fit on it, coming off my 400ex???
shocks?
a arms?
axle?
thats mainly what i am worried about..

hotrodhonda400
04-07-2003, 06:55 AM
I'd say the shocks would fit as for the rest i'm not sure

Str8Wicked
04-07-2003, 09:34 AM
AT the dealer here in Cali the Z is 5699.00 and the 400ex was 5699.00 now dropped to 5499..00

200 buck difference ain't much...

Actually if I would do it again I may get the Z400 because of the power... I really hate how my 400 can lag sometimes compared to the newer quads out there... But there is always that one reason I am glad I got a 400ex, that's cause it's a honda.... Honda's are the most reliable quad out there and thats the fact...

z400rider23
04-07-2003, 09:59 AM
The shocks are different. The front bumpers are the same.

My 400ex will smoke my z400.............., but that's because my ex has a 250r motor in it. :D

1fast400ex
04-07-2003, 10:01 AM
z 400s are not any faster than a 400ex with about the same mods on both bikes. i raced 2 this weekend in 200ft dirt drags and beat both of them they both had pipes.jets and were also running wheelie bars. i have my bike lowered and pipe and jets but no wheelie bars. both z.400s dialed in around 5.0 because that is what they consistently run i dial in at 4.7 thats what my bike runs consistently. so yes they both had head starts in both races. i also have the et slips to prove it.

Crazie
04-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Hands down I would have bought a 400ex. I'm a fairly new rider...started last May when I bought the Z400. From my experience...and I ride with a two to three 400EX's at the dunes every time we go.....the EX is just as good as a Z.

I don't know where you people get off saying that the Z has more power....because if it does...show me please!

My friends that I go to the dunes with both have been dune riding all their lives. They have dragged up Test his using my quad against a '99 ex that is 100% stock, filter and all. The outcome was within a few inches of favoring either bike. They switched bikes...and the same outcome. Sometimes my Z would win, sometimes the '99 ex "stock" would win.

The #1 reason I would've bought a Honda:

I got screwed by the warranty people. Everyone at Suzuki knows that the axles have been bending and the frames have been cracking. Well, I bought an extended warranty and have only had one crash in which I simply tipped over on my side. Well, the warranty people said it had been ridden too hard, so they weren't going to honor the warranty. What a bunch of BS. If I didn't owe money on this quad, I'd have an EX right now...or a Raptor.

And for those of you who think it's because I catch massive air that my frame broke and my axle bent...think again. I've only been riding for LESS THAN ONE YEAR and this is my first quad...the most air I've caught is maybe 5-6ft on accident once at the dunes...but landed softly with no problems.

The engine in the Z is great...it has no problems what-so-ever...it's everything else that's breaking on me.

I HATE SUZUKI---and I hope someone from SO-SUKI would read this post. The representative that I talked to over the phone was rude and did not try to help me in any way.

I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER PRODUCT BUILT FROM THEM!

If you want a Z...get a KFX...Kawasaki's customer support is sooo much easier to get in touch with and work with.

I would still buy a used 400EX...they're just as good as a Z/KFX. If anyone thinks the Z is that much better...I invite you for a ride in the dunes with my friends....I'm sure they'd love it.

I'm done venting...sorry if this was too long.

z400rider23
04-07-2003, 10:25 AM
:rolleyes: ok

zroost
04-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Post the et slips...As for which is faster again...who freakin cares
When it comes to racing it all comes down to the rider and who has more$$$ to dump it in their quad...Everyone knows stock for stock the Z does pull out by a quad length..Thats it,no big deal...
I ride with hondas,yamahas,kawasaki and what ever else it out there and it all depends on who is the most aggressive that day. The Ex is a great machine but just needs to advance a little with the times........

kawasaki_ridah
04-07-2003, 01:34 PM
my friend has a400 ex and we raced 30 times lol and every time i beat him by 3-4 quad legnths both bikes are stock and we did switch bikes and he would beat me when he was on mine and i was on the ex

1fast400ex
04-07-2003, 01:49 PM
how do i post the slips im new to this computer stuff

OutlawEX
04-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
I personally like the EX more, its reliable, cheaper, and the power difference isn't much so no biggie there. You can't go wrong with the EX :macho

bobcatv8
04-07-2003, 03:23 PM
With much experience riding my Z with many 400exs in various states of modification I offer this. Stock for stock the Z-400 is faster in a drag race. Period. Not a bunch, but enough to notice. I weigh 239 lbs. and after my Z was broken in, all my 400ex riding buddies {all but one weighing significantly less than me} wanted to try me. So I obliged them. Did not lose a race. Third gear and the Z was gone. Even took a piped/jetted 400ex. Being a former drag racer, no one got the jump on me either, I kept it fair. In the woods the Z's extra power is not noticable. The reverse doesn't mean much to racers but is nice for us rank amateurs, the ones who buy the vast majority of the quads. Liquid cooling is a big plus all around. It is quite obvious to me that Suzuki drew a lot from the 400ex while designing the Z-400 and that is a good thing! The 400ex rocks but the Z-400 rocks a little better!
I love Hondas, but the Z is just the best choice for me! :D

1fast400ex
04-07-2003, 03:30 PM
you have to remember set up means alot in drag racing stock for stock maybe the z is faster but rider means everything