PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Clutch!!! Please!!

400extracc
04-06-2003, 12:43 PM
k, last week i instaled an e-z pull lever. i thought it was working right. today i went to start her up and i noticed that when i put it in 1st gear it hops a bit. so i re-adjusted the clutch cable on the motor and now it will not disingaged the clutch in 1st gear at all. i tryed moving that adjuster both ways, nothing! is my clutch cable stretched to a point that i need a new one??? please help!!!

the new lever is a magnum.

thx:confused:

300exazzkikr
04-06-2003, 01:26 PM
did it do this before you installed the new lever? If you adjusted everything correctly it sounds like the fiber pads are shot, but if it didn't do this before they should be fine and you just never adjusted the lever correctly.

400extracc
04-06-2003, 01:41 PM
no, it didn't do it with the stock lever. when i first installed it i adjusted it correctly i think. when the quad is on the stand and you through it in first, the wheels will turn slightly then stop. also, the quad didn't start today. still cold outside. so the battery was loosing juice. so i had to push start it. thats when i noticed that i might have to re-adjust the cable. so i did that, and i can't get it back right. i put the quad in 1st gear and tryed to adjust. then i would pull the lever in and push the quad. it was still like it was in gear! even with the clutch pulled in. i tryed moving the adjusted (at clutch end) both ways and did the same test. it still felt like it was in gear with lever pulled in!

please help MEEEEEEEE!!!!!

thx

400extracc
04-06-2003, 02:21 PM
guys, need some help!!!
k, read the clymer once more, and went out to try again. i turned the adjuster at the lever all the way in and turned it out 1 click. then i went to the adjuster at the motor end, and pulled in the slack till that clutch arm thingy was firm. then i adjusted the lever at that end. i pulled the clutch lever in while the quad was in 1st gear and tryed to push it, and it felt like the lever wasn't even pulled in!!!!!!
what the F**K is the problem. (not getting mad at any of you guys) i think i have it adjusted properly. do i??? does it have anything to do with swaping the old lever with the new one???

thx

300exazzkikr
04-06-2003, 02:37 PM
OH i see. Your trying to push it with in gear yet the the lever is pulled in. Yes you will get some drag on the clutch even with the lever pulled in. Neutral is neutral, no drag there. You should be able to roll it a little iwth the lever pulled in but there will be some drag because it is in gear. thats why you hsould always start the engine in neutral because it wont' have to turn the tranny over and it's easier to start especially when cold.
If it's running in neutral pull the clutch in and put it in first and it pulls you along with the clutch pulled in then i would say you have a problem.

400extracc
04-06-2003, 03:00 PM
yes, i can see that, however, with the stock clutch when i pulled the lever in at any gear the clutch would disengage, making the wheels spin free. example, climbing a hill on 3rd gear, you stop half way and pull the clutch lever in, you will roll down hill. select 1st gear and engage the clutch you will start to climb.

i think???

so i'm stumped:confused:

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 03:26 PM
My drag bike has had a similar problem lately. I pulled the clutch out and discovered the first 3 fiber discs were shattered. I replaced them with ones from a spare motor and it seemed to do the trick. I am having other tranny problems now but I think it's something else. Keep us informed of what you discover.

CHAR250R
04-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Between the perch and the lever should have enough space to roughly fit the thickness of a quarter in there. Do you have that space? Put up a pic if you can.

shamisc
04-06-2003, 06:09 PM
I just took my MSR easy pull off b/c of this $hit! It looks like to me with an easy pull lever, it doesn't pull the clutch in as far as stock or not far enough! And the whole time I was cussing my Barnett clutch!! SORRY BARNETT!! I could NOT get mine in neutral while the engine was running to save my life. But the whole time it was this ****ty lever. So I went back to my stock and I now can get it in to neutral and the clutch doesn't slip. I think the best way to go as far as an easy pull is the Magura hydro clutch. I've got one on the way! ;)

400extracc
04-07-2003, 04:48 AM
i will put my stock lever back on and what happens.
do any other of u guys have this problem????

trx400ex
04-07-2003, 04:56 AM
i was having probs with my ez pull too, threw it in the trash can and slapped on a hyd.