PDA

View Full Version : Increased rear suspension travel

spropson
04-06-2003, 06:04 AM
Check out how much rear suspension travel I have with my awesome Janssen +1 1/4 swingarm and new Elka elite. I can’t wait to ride this thing.

fasterz
04-06-2003, 09:27 AM
thats not good, look at the angle of the swingarm, its gonna handle like chit.

YamaWarr0121
04-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by fasterz

:huh umm its on a stand, so the suspension would be extended...:huh

Derek
04-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by fasterz

lift up your quad and see what the rear end looks like.

Mr_Bub400ex
04-06-2003, 11:11 AM
lol:p

AtvMxRider
04-06-2003, 12:14 PM
:ermm:

Extremeracer167
04-06-2003, 12:43 PM
they are awesome swingarms. I love mine!! u will like it. I just wish more ppl would know about them, and put these pocket rapists out of business

Davemx250r
04-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Um i have a question,is it the elka shock that give you that extra travel?, cuz good lord its looks like you have 13" of travel or more. Becuause im running a axis on my 250r and i have about half of what you have there(8" of wheel travel". If its the shock that gives you that im getitn an elka. Thanks

Derek
04-06-2003, 01:38 PM
What is jannssen's website?

Tommy 17
04-06-2003, 01:44 PM
are the elka elites the ones with the high low speed compression like the dirtbikes:confused: if so that would be alot nicer...

stocktires
04-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Can you say bent axle and cracked swingarm??? :eek2: :huh :eek:

Lemme try and explain this, Imagine your jumpin your 400 and your front end accidentaly comes way up. Your swingarm will then be straight up and down (can't think of the true word for this) with the ground making your suspension useless!
Thats why Roll design puts a slight curvature to their LT swingarms giving them more travel, and eliminating this problem.
looks like an awesome set-up if you dont come across this problem :(

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 02:31 PM
who makes LT swingarms, other than roll?

dave

batgeek
04-06-2003, 02:42 PM
stocktires,

Your swingarm will then be straight up and down (can't think of the true word for this) with the ground

perpendicular :D

spropson
04-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Janssen’s current website is non-active. They are working on a new one that should be ready to go with all the info you want shortly. The best thing to do is call and talk to Joel Janssen directly. He is a wealth of information.

The longer swingarm will give you some additional travel but the new shock must be accounting for some of it. I never tried my old shock with the new swingarm.

As far as breaking the swingarm, I ran my Janssen swingarm on my banshee for an entire stadium cross season and didn’t have one single problem. And even if I did, Janssen has a full lifetime guarantee on all of their Janssen built suspension components. If the weather would ever cooperate here in Wisconsin, I could actually have a chance to ride the dam thing.

O’ ya, the elite shock that I ordered comes with high and low speed compression adjustment, rebound adjustment and shaft coating that reduces friction. I am really hoping for good things out of this shock.

stocktires
04-06-2003, 04:58 PM
I dont doubt the Janssen products are quality made, its just the way the suspenion components are placed.

Even Durablue sends out warnings for stock 400exs and raptors for this problem.
Its just a common problem with these two quads and the lt set-up seems like it makes the problem even worse, or more likely to happen.
Banshee's do not have this problem because of their suspension geometry, therefor this problem wouldnt have occused, and plus your set-up was not an LT set-up (please correct me if wrong).

Thanx batgeek, I can make a 103% in geometry class, but have a hard time remembering all the termonology :blah
perpendicular = making a right angle with two segments or lines :p

kicker696
04-06-2003, 05:28 PM
All of janssen racing products are the cream of the crop!! Joel is a great guy, i mean you can't beat there customer service and turn around time on parts! The # out there is 1-920-766-3411 give em a call and tell them luke sent ya

bmw500hp
04-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by spropson
Check out how much rear suspension travel I have with my awesome Janssen +1 1/4 swingarm and new Elka elite. I can’t wait to ride this thing.

The travel looks great but I am a littel confused. What exactly are you attributing the extended lenght of travel to... and when the quad is sitting with no rider, how many inches of sag. :confused:

Sick0
04-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Ok, I would agree if you had that much travle and your swingarm extened that much you would land hard, maybe breaking or bending the swingarm or axle becuse you be landing in a way the shock couldn't do its job. but how does curving the swing help in this problem. I think it wouldn't.

Bean
04-07-2003, 03:59 PM
with a curved swingarm, you can land with the nose farther up in the air before this breaking of parts becomes a problem, because the swingarm is bent and is still moving

Sick0
04-07-2003, 04:19 PM
OK how does bending the swingarm change the swingarm arc.. Now thats think about they bend the swingarm because thats how they fit a long travel shock in there. JUst like there front.

spropson
04-08-2003, 03:10 AM
I guess I haven’t really put a tape measure to it but the sag right now is pretty substantial. Actually it currently pushes corners so I need to raise the rear ride height a bit. Here is a picture of it sitting on the ground. The angle of the picture isn’t really that great but it kind of conveys the idea.

Extremeracer167
04-08-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by R-Crazy
who makes LT swingarms, other than roll?

dave

I really dont think anyone makes a LONG TRAVEL swingarm for a 400EX. They make the banana swingarm for the 250Rs and i believe the z-400, but that doesnt necesarrily(sp) mean that its long travel. Just like Roll A-arms. Everyone thinks that all of those are Long Travel, well........they arent. Mot of them guys still use 16" shocks.

sly400ex
04-08-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Sick0
OK how does bending the swingarm change the swingarm arc.. Now thats think about they bend the swingarm because thats how they fit a long travel shock in there. JUst like there front.

I'll take a little stab at this......If you look at the top pic, it is much more close to being perpendicular to the ground with a straight arm. If you look at the one with the angled arm, it is not nearly as close to coming to that 90 degree angle. Both with the same amount of travel. Sorry for the lame pic, I am artistically challenged!:p

Sick0
04-08-2003, 06:51 AM
I might be wrong here, but how does bending the swingarm help. the pics still doesn't help. If you bend the swingarm it still won't change the geomtry of the swing arm. From my understanding, the more the swingarms ( It works the same for the a-arms too) the less effective the suspesion has. If it drops far enough, I would think you would complete make the suspesion useless. It would have to drop alot to have this happen. And the more the swingarm drops the more stress the axle, swingarm, frame, and you would have to take.

I'm not sure why Rolls designs the swingarm like they do. I always though it was to put a long travel shock. Maybe its there for looks, or maybe its there to lower the backend and still have the same amount of travel. Also does the rolls have a linkage. Maybe they put it there to make a no linkage work. I'm sure somebody knows a little more about this set than I do. thanks.

PS I'm not saying I'm wrong. But this how I understand how the swingarm works.

Sick0
04-08-2003, 06:59 AM
And The more you have the axis(center line, whats ever you want to call it)(and this doesn't mean the swingarm. Its the line going from the swingarm pivot to where the tire hits the ground.)of the your suspension the better it works. Thats why Lt works better. it can travel more without changing the angle of the a-arms or swing arm putting more direct force on the shocks.

boogiechile
04-08-2003, 07:38 AM
The bend in the swingarm does nothing to the geometry and will not help in the case of landing with the swingarm perpendicular to the ground. A line drawn from the center of the frame pivot to the center line of the axle would determine the arc and the geometry of the arm regardless of whether or not it has a bend in it. If you land with this line perpendicular to the ground the bent arm is going to act just like the straight arm and your axle can still bend or break just the same. The Roll swings that I have seen with the bend in them use a no link setup with a long shock. The bend allows the long shock to be mounted through the arm without having shock brackets hang below the arm. You can see pics of the swing arm alone and mounted with the no link shock at Roll's web site. www.rolldesign.com

The swing arm in the pic that started this post looks like the frt end would have to be really high to land with the swingarm perp. to the ground.

Sick0
04-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Well pretty much whats I said. And thats what I was figuring with the bend.