PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Q's about an R i am looking at

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 04:01 AM
Hey, finally found a bike w/ a title, but there are a few Q's i have about it

1. it has been bored to 265, what kind of head gasket should i run, stock, or does it have to be special because of the larger bore?

2. The rear brake seem to go down really far, but it is low on fluid, but the resivor (sp?) is a little warpd (edges are spreading out) should it be replaced?

3. The radiator overflow doesnt have a lot of fluid in it, is that okay or should i add some?

4. The swing arm has a small gouge, maybe 1/8 inch deep from the chain breaking and it gouging the swingarm (right behind the front sproket), is there anything to worry about. I dont think so, but my dad is a little sketchy about it.

5. The bushing for the steering block that holds the stem doesnt seem to be lined up perfectly and it is wearing the bushing down. What is up w/ that?

6. The compression is really high, and i dont wanna put race gas in it (265 w/ split stock 250 gasket). If i put a stock honda gasket in it without spliting it, would i still have to run race gas, or could i run premium w/ octane booster?

7. It has works shocks on it. I have to get them rebuilt cuz they are too heavy for me (set for 190, i am only 130 :]eek ) , but the springs have a decent amount of rust on them. Are they still good to use if i just sandblast them and PC them?

8. This summer i wanna do a COMPLETE rebuild, with all new SS bolts and all the stuff. The motor is fine, but some of the olts are rusting. Where can i get a COMPLETE bolt kit for the chassis and motor?

If there is any more Q's, i will add to this post. Sry for the length. thanx

dave

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 05:27 AM
bump

dave

250rtone
04-06-2003, 06:34 AM
How much are you willing to pay for it?

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 06:53 AM
well, he wants 5k, with all the motor work, arms, axle, pc frame,anti vibe stem, new bottom end, and new swingarm

dave

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 300ex rules
Hey, finally found a bike w/ a title, but there are a few Q's i have about it

1. it has been bored to 265, what kind of head gasket should i run, stock, or does it have to be special because of the larger bore?

2. The rear brake seem to go down really far, but it is low on fluid, but the resivor (sp?) is a little warpd (edges are spreading out) should it be replaced?

3. The radiator overflow doesnt have a lot of fluid in it, is that okay or should i add some?

4. The swing arm has a small gouge, maybe 1/8 inch deep from the chain breaking and it gouging the swingarm (right behind the front sproket), is there anything to worry about. I dont think so, but my dad is a little sketchy about it.

5. The bushing for the steering block that holds the stem doesnt seem to be lined up perfectly and it is wearing the bushing down. What is up w/ that?

6. The compression is really high, and i dont wanna put race gas in it (265 w/ split stock 250 gasket). If i put a stock honda gasket in it without spliting it, would i still have to run race gas, or could i run premium w/ octane booster?

7. It has works shocks on it. I have to get them rebuilt cuz they are too heavy for me (set for 190, i am only 130 :]eek ) , but the springs have a decent amount of rust on them. Are they still good to use if i just sandblast them and PC them?

8. This summer i wanna do a COMPLETE rebuild, with all new SS bolts and all the stuff. The motor is fine, but some of the olts are rusting. Where can i get a COMPLETE bolt kit for the chassis and motor?

If there is any more Q's, i will add to this post. Sry for the length. thanx

dave

1. I'm pretty sure you can still run the stock headgasket. I have to run big bore gaskets but thats because my cylinder is larger than a stock one (externally and internally).
2. Mine does that too. It doesnt' leak fluid. As long as the rubber boot is in there it should be ok. If you want to replace it, I dont' think they are very expensive.
3. I would add some. I fill mine up to the fill line. Check the radiator, and check that the overflow bottle is actually hooked up to the radiator neck.
4. A small gouge in the swingarm shouldnt' be a problem. There should be a chain slider in that area though.
5. I've never heard of that problem. Those bolts go into the frame. If the whole block isn't aligned I'd pull it off and check the frame bolt holes.
6. What do you mean splitting it? Pretty much the only thing you can do to decrease compression on a R is get a different dome if it's a coolead, or get a stock head if it's a milled stock one. If it has a CR250 gasket, going to a stock trx gasket will decrease the compression some.
7. If it's sprung for a 190lb rider and you are 130 it's amost certain you will need different springs as well as different shock valving. If it's just surface rust on the shocks you could probably sandblast them and re-PC them.
8. If you take a lot of time you can pull the bolts and go to a hardware store and replace them with SS bolts. If you don't want to do that there is a guy on ebay selling complete motor and mostly complete SS chassis bolt kits for R's for like $60 or something.

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 09:50 AM
thanx a lot. 2 more Q's

1. i hear a deep rattle coming from my motor when idling. i dont think it is pinging cuz it has 110 in it, but i was wondering if it was piston slap. the motor should be in spec cuz it was just rebuilt.

2. The clutch return sping is broken; the clutch seems tight until it has been used a little, then it seems that it always sorta engaged. If i pull the little lever on the motor that the cable pulls all the way back, it will be fine for a little while, but then go back. do i just need to replace the return spring, or is it more complicated than that? how hard is it. i dont see any way to get the lever above it off. thanx

dave

250rtone
04-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Personally i would walk away, and save my cash to find a nicer R. For 5k you can get much nicer ones without all the ?'s. But thats just my opinion, this sounds like it could turn out to be a money pit.:rolleyes:

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 10:59 AM
idk, the motor is STRONG and the frame and such is NICE, but just minor things need to be done. maybe 200-300 bucks investment.

dave

250rmike
04-06-2003, 01:33 PM
my r is in better condition for 3600.00

AndrewRRR
04-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by R-Crazy
thanx a lot. 2 more Q's

1. i hear a deep rattle coming from my motor when idling. i dont think it is pinging cuz it has 110 in it, but i was wondering if it was piston slap. the motor should be in spec cuz it was just rebuilt.

2. The clutch return sping is broken; the clutch seems tight until it has been used a little, then it seems that it always sorta engaged. If i pull the little lever on the motor that the cable pulls all the way back, it will be fine for a little while, but then go back. do i just need to replace the return spring, or is it more complicated than that? how hard is it. i dont see any way to get the lever above it off. thanx

dave

Most R's have a knocking sound comming from the tranny at idle. It's not something to be worried about.
As for the clutch, what do you mean by the clutch return spring? There isn't a spring in the clutch lever/cable assembly. The clutch actuator arm (thing the end of the cable attaches to on the motor) has a spring on it. Also the 5 springs in the pressure plate in the clutch assembly contributes to the clutch pull. Basically you should adjust the cable so there is very little free play in the cable and the clutch lever has a good feel. You can adjust where it engages by the adjusters on the clutch lever and the clutch cable adjuster where it mounts to the motor.

$5000 sounds pretty steep. What kind of mods does it have? I paid $2900 for mine, but put ALOT of money into it.

R-Crazy
04-07-2003, 01:58 AM
it has laeger +2+1, works tripple rate w/ rezzies, Lonestar anit-vibe stem, denton stering stabailizer, oversize radiator, 265 motor w/ 89 crank/ water pump/ clutch/ and new tranny/ new seals and bearings in motor, PC frame, arms, stem, and other small parts, 38 mm PWK Keihn carb, Works rear shock, MOB swingarm, BAD saddle seat cover, Clark gas tank, Durablue axle, Douglas 190 all around, and K&N w/ outerware. There is more, but i cant think of it now. The problems w/ it are minor and i plan on doing a rebuild anyway.

dave

nuttynewt
04-07-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by R-Crazy
thanx a lot. 2 more Q's

dave

That "rattle" sounds like your counter balancer. I have never heard an R that didn't have that noise.

Also, in an earlier post you was asking about running octane booster. Stay away from that $hit. It doesn't do a darn thing for performance, anyway.

norm330440
04-16-2003, 03:32 AM
That really sounds like entirely to much money to spend on the machine.

Like someone else posted earlier.
You can find nicer ones for less money.
If you "have to" spend 5000 bucks you can buy mine. (which incidentally sounds nicer and has less questions then the one you are looking at.

scott

YLW400
04-16-2003, 03:37 AM
I agree with the other guys man. I wouldn't drop 5K on that. There are always Rs' on here for less then that, and you probably wouldn't have to do anything to those.

Chanman420q
04-16-2003, 09:44 AM
offor him 4000-4500 and just be like look theres some work that needs to be done, dress up idems. see what he says but dont pay 5,000