PDA

View Full Version : lots of Q's about a R i am looking at

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 04:00 AM
Hey, finally found a bike w/ a title, but there are a few Q's i have about it

1. it has been bored to 265, what kind of head gasket should i run, stock, or does it have to be special because of the larger bore?

2. The rear brake seem to go down really far, but it is low on fluid, but the resivor (sp?) is a little warpd (edges are spreading out) should it be replaced?

3. The radiator overflow doesnt have a lot of fluid in it, is that okay or should i add some?

4. The swing arm has a small gouge, maybe 1/8 inch deep from the chain breaking and it gouging the swingarm (right behind the front sproket), is there anything to worry about. I dont think so, but my dad is a little sketchy about it.

5. The bushing for the steering block that holds the stem doesnt seem to be lined up perfectly and it is wearing the bushing down. What is up w/ that?

6. The compression is really high, and i dont wanna put race gas in it (265 w/ split stock 250 gasket). If i put a stock honda gasket in it without spliting it, would i still have to run race gas, or could i run premium w/ octane booster?

7. It has works shocks on it. I have to get them rebuilt cuz they are too heavy for me (set for 190, i am only 130 :]eek ) , but the springs have a decent amount of rust on them. Are they still good to use if i just sandblast them and PC them?

8. This summer i wanna do a COMPLETE rebuild, with all new SS bolts and all the stuff. The motor is fine, but some of the olts are rusting. Where can i get a COMPLETE bolt kit for the chassis and motor?

If there is any more Q's, i will add to this post. Sry for the length. thanx

dave

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 05:17 AM
bump

dave

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 10:07 AM
bump

dave

Bean
04-06-2003, 10:17 AM
1: i forget

2: either the caliper needs rebuilt, new brake pads, the brake pedal is bent, or all of the above

3: fill it up, if it keeps losing fluid, you have a leak, probably near the waterpump

4: this probably isnt a problem (if chain derailed, make sure case isnt cracked)

5: the bushings are probably worn down, order some new Hinson bushings (20$), they will last alot longer, remember to lube them busnings once in a while (when you do this, pull the stem out and lube the bottom stem bearings, they can and will freeze up)

6: same as 1

7: sandblast the springs, PC them, and rebuild the shocks for 145ish

8: i believe K&K sells a complete SS bolt kit, chassi, plastic, and motor, for around 100$

NTPracing22
04-06-2003, 10:17 AM
i have a few questions aboutt he R, how much is the owner asking? what year is it? what kind of riding was done on it? have you checked the frame for stress fractures and junk?

in the gasket, i do believe it has to be a 265 gasket...but don't take my word for it.

add to the coolant...

for the steering stem bushing, take the 4 bolts off and adjust the bushing as needed, or replace

you can talk to people like 2R's, Pappy etc..about pcing...they do a great job and will make your springs last forever

if your doing a complete rebuild, get the r. you'll be fixing anything thats wrong with it, that's half the point of a rebuild. i probley wasn't much help, but i hope it all works out for ya

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 10:25 AM
thanx a lot. 2 more Q's

1. i hear a deep rattle coming from my motor when idling. i dont think it is pinging cuz it has 110 in it, but i was wondering if it was piston slap. the motor should be in spec cuz it was just rebuilt.

2. The clutch return spring is broken; the clutch seems tight until it has been used a little, then it seems that it always sorta engaged. If i pull the little lever on the motor that the cable pulls all the way back, it will be fine for a little while, but then go back. do i just need to replace the return spring, or is it more complicated than that? how hard is it. i dont see any way to get the lever above it off. thanx

dave

Bean
04-06-2003, 11:14 AM
1: if you keep riding it, you will find out what that rattling is, good luck on that

2: remove the brake pedal, and kickstarter, and then pop the clutch cover side case, prop the bike on its side by using tires and a stand, right above a drain thing cause oil, and antifreeze is going to come out, so either drain it before this, or stand over a drain in your garage, anyway, now that the case is off, figure out the problem with your manual i hope you also own

R-Crazy
04-06-2003, 11:57 AM
i think the spring just needs to be replaced. i figured out most of my problems without spending over 5 bucks on each (except the shocks). Thanks all

dave