PDA

View Full Version : starting problems, plzz help!!!

DoPeExRiDeR20
04-05-2003, 04:59 AM
any ideas wuts wrong??? i changed the spark plug a week ago, cleaned the airfiter, charged the battery..... and still t sounds like the spark plug isnt catching, but thts the 2nd one ive gone through in the past month... could it be nbecause the weather change tht the plugs been missing??? plzz help!!

4TraxRider
04-05-2003, 05:11 AM
I'm going to assume that by the spark plug catching, you mean firing. Take the plug out, and leave teh wires hooked up. Put the electrode on something metal, and hit the starter for a second. Then you can tell if it has spark or not. If it doesn't, then you have something electrical, or you need a new plug. If it has spark, you dont have enough compression fot it to work, or a gas blockage. Your jetting could be far enough off that your quad won't start, now that the weatehr is changing as well.

nojoke4stroke
04-05-2003, 05:12 AM
first check for spark,pull the plug hold the threads against your engine and look for spark while you turn over the engine.if you have spark it could be something easily overlooked,did u tighten down the plug and secure the cap,are you using the choke,did you flood it.if no spark it could be alot of things beginning with your cdi going,your jetting should be fine because you didnt add or subtract any major engine mods,sorry thats all i have for now.edit:did you make sure the area around the plug was clean when you removed it,this is vital.also did some junk get pulled in through the carb when you had the air filter off.

cals400ex
04-05-2003, 07:45 PM
i bet your problem is the lean setting from factory on your pilot jet assuming that you have spark and is cranking over good. this is what i would suggest doing. i would change your pilot jet from the factory 38 to a 42 and see what happens. these jets are the 21 series. as for now, i would turn the choke on full, pump the throttle lightly 4 or 5 times. then hit the start button without giving it any gas. by giving it gas you will probally flood it. this should help it start.

DoPeExRiDeR20
04-06-2003, 05:19 AM
weres the pilot??? and how do u set it at exactly 42

cals400ex
04-07-2003, 06:47 PM
you don't actually set it to a 42. you need to swap the factory jet and put a 42 in. i believe there is a procedure for this in the faq section on this site. it is easy once you do it one or two times. the pilot is in the bottom of the carb. check out the faq section and you will get the help you need by that procedure.