PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

H_W
04-05-2003, 03:46 AM
If its not one thing it is another. I just got through installing a new bearing carrier and axle and now my clutch is messed up. I put my new FCR 39mm carb on it and rode it a few times yesterday. This morning I rode it once and the clutch stopped working. The lever is easy to pull (too easy) and the piece that the clutch cable connects to on the engine is moving when the lever is pulled. I mean the clutch lever is still pulling the the little arm on the engine like it should, but the clutch is not working. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and could offer some advise. Thanks.

Live2Ride300
04-05-2003, 03:57 AM
Is your clutch all stock? If it is you might need to replace the clutch plates/discs and springs, they may just be worn out. Do you have a manual? Take apart the clutch and see whats goin on, or maybe the cable is way out of adjustment?

H_W
04-05-2003, 04:15 AM
Yes, it is all stock. I was thinking I might need a clutch kit. I do have a manual. I am going to take it apart and check it out. I was going to do it today, but it started raining and I don't have a shop big enough to work on it in. I don't think it is the cable, because it is still pulling the little arm on the engine just like it did before.

MX250r
04-05-2003, 04:19 AM
Well if it just stopped working all of a sudden, then I'm going to say that the clutchlever that you see coming out the top of the motor broke. I have had that happen before and its not a hard repair. Good luck

H_W
04-05-2003, 04:24 AM
I will check that, I hope that is all it is. Thanks.

oynot400
04-05-2003, 05:37 AM
You might have to take the side case off. If it will still shift fine and it went all of a sudden, then my guess is that the shaft broke. It should be an easy fix. Let us know what it was.

H_W
04-05-2003, 09:37 AM
It stopped raining, so I did get to take it apart after all. There is a little piece sticking out from the middle of the clutch assembly (the manual calls it the clutch lifter) that has a round end on it. The round end broke off. Now I just have to find one.

oynot400
04-07-2003, 01:32 AM
I see that Riva Racing has them for less than $10. I am sure service Honda is about the same price. :)

pimpin400
04-08-2003, 07:13 AM
The end of your lifter piece broke off. It happened to me. The lifter piece comes out then tapers down real thin then has what looks like a dime at the end which your lifter arm catches for your clutches. If the end has broke off try to find it some place in the motor. I looked for mine, but never found it and ended up doing $1,800 dollars to my motor. I suggest while having your sidecase off tilt your bike up on its side so that it can hopefully fall out.

H_W
04-08-2003, 09:56 AM
Yea, that end that is shaped like a dime is what broke off. Luckly I found it, it was still in the little slot on the lifter arm. I bet it really would cause some damage if you did not get it out. I ordered one from service honda for $6.40.