PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250x trouble

tecate87
04-05-2003, 03:06 AM
I have an 87 honda 250x, looking for help.
all forward gears work fine, reverse only works if I unplug on of the wires going to the right side of the engine. but If I leave it unplugged it wont start. stays running when unplugged.
any ideas what might be wrong ??

4TraxRider
04-05-2003, 05:14 AM
Are you using the red button on the clutch perch? I don't know what the wire is for, but i know you have to push the button down when using reverse, or it won't engage sometimes.

toby400ex
04-05-2003, 11:40 AM
either you are messing with the reverse rev limiter wires or the wires coming from the clutch perch that control reveres.:huh

ridered86
04-05-2003, 11:54 AM
those two wires go to a reverse sensor switch, it must be malfunctioning if you have to disconnect it, id try to find another one. i think one of a 300ex will work just fine.

WildCatRacer
04-05-2003, 12:03 PM
I belive all that wire does is..make the rev. light come on. a 300ex has 2 wires, one for rev. and one for neutral. I dont under stand why it wouldnt start onther than the motor wont start while engauged in rev. if you were to take the headlight off you would also take that wire off the side of the motor. I dont see whhy unpluging it in the first place would lock you out of rev. all it does is tell the light when the transmission is in rev. :confused: I guess its a mystery....hope you figure it out, good luck.

tecate87
04-05-2003, 12:19 PM
I have used the red button, when it goes into reverse all it does is die right out, no grinding nothing just dies like kill switch.
the 2 black wires going to the sensor on the right side of the engine, factory connect to one another mid way thru the wires.
but, with engine already running, I pull one of the wires off it will go into reverse and work. shut the bike off with the wire unplugged, back in neutral it wont start.
I have tried reversing the wires, tried another cdi box.
a 300ex has 2 seperate plugs on the right side of the engine. little different.

still looking for other suggestions, really got me confused.
thanks so far

WildCatRacer
04-05-2003, 12:23 PM
a 300ex will work...you just use the rev. wire/sensor and not the neutral. sorry man dont know what to tell you.

tecate87
04-07-2003, 06:31 AM
any more ideas ??

wilkin250r
04-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Do you still have all the stock wiring?

When I bought my 250x, the person that had removed the kill switch (I have no idea why) This obviously created the problem of shutting the motor off, so they wired the reverse light to the kill switch wire. That way, when you put it in reverse, it activated the kill switch and the motor died.

Do you still have the kill switch? Does it work?

I'm pretty sure (not absolute) that the wires only activate the reverse light and reverse rev limiter.

tecate87
04-12-2003, 04:35 PM
stock wires, dont have panel for reverse light, kill switch still works, if I unplug both wires engine starts to run rough and finally stalls. ??
really confusing, switched cdi boxes.
????????????????????????????????????????????????:c onfused2 :confused2 :confused2 :confused2 :confused2 :devil :devil