PDA

View Full Version : after a year of waiting

TT 400ex
04-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Well just got back from my 6 hour drive to sparks. Gettin the 416. Just curious if anyone has or if anyone knows how fast it will be? Is it worth the 1800 benjermans. How will it fair against piped craptors? thanks for any feedback.

04-04-2003, 05:39 PM
u shoulda ordered it offline for a lot cheaper...

TT 400ex
04-04-2003, 05:47 PM
yea sure how do i get my head work done offline?

RAPTORAZ
04-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by TT 400ex
How will it fair against piped craptors?

It depends on how radical you go. My 416 is no match for my Raptor. My Rappy has only gone down to a few 400EX's. All were running alcohol. However the fastest non-alcohol EX I've seen is my buddy's. Here's his combo:

I.M.S. 440 kit
head ported and polished
GT Thunder cam
39mm FCR carb
Sparks X6 exhaust

His bike will run side by side with my Raptor. So if your 416 is gonna be similar to his combo, you'll do okay.

Extremeracer167
04-05-2003, 03:14 AM
wow 1800 for a 416!? Damn is that steep. I bet my dads got not even.....1200 in his TC465. And that thing SCREAMS. Differant strokes for differatn folks i guess:o

skemp
04-05-2003, 08:58 AM
$1800? Ouch... It better be damn good.

ridered86
04-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by skemp
$1800? Ouch... It better be damn good.

i got my motor bored at marcums and with the cam rev box port and polish and all the other stuff with the JE 10.8:1 piston it was under 500 :scary:

cheetah
04-05-2003, 03:11 PM
From what I hear a sparks 416 can easily stomp piped raptors, but I have not witnessed first hand. Be sure to give us a complete review on the perfrormance.

Sparks425Ex
04-07-2003, 01:41 PM
All You guys Raggin on him for puttin 1800 into the engine.. You guys all say you are spending 500 bucks for a 416.

I got news for you guys.. Your 416 ain't gonna touch his.. I have a Sparks 416 as well. I didn't spend 1800 bucks but that is only cause I had a hook up.

Ever since I have got my Spark Engine back I haven;t been beating by any 4 stroke... Raptors are easy along with Modded raptors..

For all of you that raggin on him: You may have a 416 but your 416 is puttin no where close to what his 416 is puttin out for HP. Sparks has proved this year at FSW that he makes the badest arse 4 Stroke engines..

Don't Rip On Somone Because they are going to have a more powerful engine than you have. And not to mention that he has the money for it....

Why don't you guys get your 416s on the DYNO and get some HP numbers.. I willing to bet if his is exact to mine that it will eat your numbers apart...

Leo
04-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Machine shop time $100/hr

Mnowing where to machine, and how much PRICELESS..

You can do a 416 kit yourself for much less than you can have it done at many of the big name race shops..

BUT they all got excellent reputations from building killer motors.

I guess it all boils down on how much HP you want :D

Leo

RAPTORAZ
04-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Sparks425Ex

Why don't you guys get your 416s on the DYNO and get some HP numbers.. I willing to bet if his is exact to mine that it will eat your numbers apart...

You got any numbers on yours?

JD400exrider
04-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Last time i called it was a year wait. Did you send the motor to him a year ago or could you get on the list and send it in when he was ready for it ?

TT 400ex
04-07-2003, 03:16 PM
i got on the list a year ago he said he should have 4-6 weeks.
and for you $500 416. 12.5 to 1 piston curtis own version, custom race grind, hardface rockers, valve springs,8 plate heavy duty clutch kit,clutch basket, port head. if you got all that i did get the shaft but i dont think so just look at 4 stroke wars and who wins.

Sparks425Ex
04-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
You got any numbers on yours?

I will have some very soon...Just waitin on getting it running again after winter rebuild...

quadrcr87
04-07-2003, 04:18 PM
well then you didnt just get a 416 kit. you got alot of parts. your price sounds right it should rip. and with those parts it will be reliable

Dave400ex
04-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Only thing he is missing to have a complete 416 kit is the 39mm FCR. I am betting his motor will rip.

04-07-2003, 04:35 PM
i paid 1200 for my 406 kit and it ripped, then i blew a head gasket, then my c-clip fell outa the enigne, so i got my sleeve bored to a 416 and a new wiseco 11:1 piston sor about 180 total plus 31 for the top end gasket kit from cometics and i did all the labor myself with my friend here that rebuilds 4-strokes all the time and my service manual, so i paid about 1500 for my 416, ill get a dyno test soon and i can tell you it will be up around the 40-45

TT 400ex
04-07-2003, 04:48 PM
yes i already have a fcr39 and an x6 pipe from curtis sparks

skemp
04-08-2003, 07:01 AM
I know what is included in the Sparks motor, but that price just seems like a lot to me. No doubt it will be fast, but I would rather do the work myself (except for porting, I don't have the equipment here) and save a boatload of money.

forum
04-08-2003, 07:59 AM
if your running 12.5 compression. you better have him install a connecting rod or your engine could be a mess in short time. Those stock rods are pretty weak.

Extremeracer167
04-08-2003, 10:35 AM
I think Sparks is just lucky that TC doesnt show up with Chads 505 kit. Becuase im willin to bet that if TC even would care enough to see who can go up a hill faster, he is prob. more then capable of building one that will destroy a sparks 416. Like i said, my old man has a 465 kit, which consists of....TC pipe, crank, and GNCC grind. He also just got a 40mm FCR carb. And i can almost garuntee that it will walk away from that 416 kit. Maybe not with the GNCC crind cam if they were dragging. But im sure if he switched cams, the thing would eat that 416 up. Plus its prob. 100Xs more reliable. But im not trying to flame, but it sounds to me like u r payin ALOT for the name. U waited a year for a 416 kit, paid aLOT of money for it, when u coulda got all of those parts ALOT cheaper from differant places and coulda SAVED ALOT of time and money

Dave400ex
04-08-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm sure you could of got a lot of those parts cheaper, but there's no doubt about how fast that setup is. I don't think $1,800 is to bad if you got the clutch stuff too, but more then I am willing to pay...

gojk
04-08-2003, 12:48 PM
I think even if he did buy the parts himself and put it together himeself he wouldn't have saved that much money. Make a price list. Sparks cams and what not aren't the cheapest on the market. But I have to say, they are the best.

Sparks425Ex
04-08-2003, 01:48 PM
You guys really think that TC can walk all over Sparks????

You guys are nuts..I not gonna rail on everyone and say my sparks is faster and that it better and all that.

I just wanna say that TC has never shown up to FSW..So non of you can say that TC can do anything over Sparks.. and until TC shows up Sparks is still the king of FSW.

And yeah I agree that a 465 from TC is gonna smoke a Sparks 416. If it doesn't I will cry...

As for the 505..

If Tom wants to show up to FSW with his 505..

and Challange Sparks.. I say let him go right ahead. Cause Sparks has already got a 485 and a 502 in the making for next year.. Not to mention that FSW includes all 4 Strokes.. Not just Exs..

And if ya wanna see who can build the fastest and quickest 4 strokes I don't see Tom beating Sparks Raptor..(Not anytime Soon)

As for 416s.. I have beat TC 416s. and TC built 426s in Drags.. I am not totally sure what was in the engine but I know TC did the work and I know I beat them.. Or I was told TC did the work..

I am not bashing TC. I think Tom is a great guy and does amazing work. I just feel that every little bit counts and In my opinion. Sparks does that little bit more and has that little bit of an edge.

For most of you: You guys can not talk. Most of(I say "MOST" not all)you have never ridden a Sparks or TC built EX or Quad for that matter. You just are talking out your bum from things you have "HEARD" not actually seen or done in person...

Not tryin to Flame. But I feel Some of you have no clue what you are talking about and are just mad because you can't afford to spend 1800 on the best or close to the best engine. Maybe that is the case or maybe not...Just another Idea I thought of......

trx400ex
04-08-2003, 01:52 PM

You guys are nuts..I not gonna rail on everyone and say my sparks is faster and that it better and all that.

I just wanna say that TC has never shown up to FSW..So non of you can say that TC can do anything over Sparks.. and until TC shows up Sparks is still the king of FSW.

And yeah I agree that a 465 from TC is gonna smoke a Sparks 416. If it doesn't I will cry...

As for the 505..

and Challange Sparks.. I say let him go right ahead. Cause Sparks has already got a 485 and a 502 in the making for next year.. Not to mention that FSW includes all 4 Strokes.. Not just Exs..

And if ya wanna see who can build the fastest and quickest 4 strokes I don't see Tom beating Sparks Raptor..(Not anytime Soon)

As for 416s.. I have beat TC 416s. and TC built 426s in Drags.. I am not totally sure what was in the engine but I know TC did the work and I know I beat them.. Or I was told TC did the work..

I am not bashing TC. I think Tom is a great guy and does amazing work. I just feel that every little bit counts and In my opinion. Sparks does that little bit more and has that little bit of an edge.

For most of you: You guys can not talk. Most of(I say "MOST" not all)you have never ridden a Sparks or TC built EX or Quad for that matter. You just are talking out your bum from things you have "HEARD" not actually seen or done in person...

Not tryin to Flame. But I feel Some of you have no clue what you are talking about and are just mad because you can't afford to spend 1800 on the best or close to the best engine. Maybe that is the case or maybe not...Just another Idea I thought of......

well said

04-08-2003, 01:55 PM

As for the 505..

well said, if i ahd 1800 and i wasnt in a hurry(a few weeks) to have my motor back in the quad, i would send it to sparks, lrd, tc, or four stroke tech

Dave400ex
04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
That was well said, but who said anything about TC? It wasn't me this time. I know Sparks builds some great motors and is top notch...

racerx573
04-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Well as for price, take into account that an 8 plate clutch system is around like $700 or so from Hinson...you get the pressure plate, basket, and inner hub...I think 1800 is a nice price for what he got...

I've never ridden a Sparks R motor, but my TC 265 blows the doors off my Paul Turner 275....it was a 285 but I had it resleeved after I threw some main bearings...and even then it was faster IMO..

Also remember its the riders ability that decides who wins...even in drags...

just my opinions...

Bean
04-08-2003, 04:04 PM
lmfao, no sh*t a TC 465 will walk all over a Sparks 416, thats like saying a built 250r will beat a stock 400, put a Sparks 416 vs a TC 416, and so on, then see who wins...

ROGERS
04-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Well, back to TT 400ex's question, I think you will probably be pleased. One of my acquaintances has an engine very, very similar to the one you have had built. I am not kidding when I say it is amazingly fast! :eek: I am glad to see you got (or already had, whichever the case may be) the FCR carb. That seems to be the sweet, sweet icing on the cake for a build of that sort.

I think it was money well spent.
Have fun!:D

Later,
-Josh