PDA

View Full Version : I just rode a Z the other day.

NTPRacing#19
04-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Well my buddy got a Z400 and they are way more hyped up then are to be. i got on it and took off and they get credited for more power than they really have. maybe this one was runnin like **** but when my 400ex was stock i could wheelie it no problem. well i was ridin this Z on pavement and it was kinda hard to wheelie and didnt seem to have the zip they talk about.

anyone else get to ride one and were dissapointed with them

BigThumper33
04-04-2003, 08:25 AM
I like the ride of them, I think they sit alittle higher than the ex :confused2

I don't think they have any low end.....which kinda blows. If I didn't want any low end....I'd get an R.

The quad is a nice one, but the hype blew it up so big, you'd think it would go 200mph! Nice quad, but no bottem end....I think that comes from its short stroke. I'm wanting to ride a piped one, I want to see if there is any low end that can be brought to life out of her. When I review a quad, I ask myself if I'd sell my ex for it....well definately no :cool:

NTPRacing#19
04-04-2003, 08:28 AM
now thats at good question to ask yourself! i would def not sell my 400ex for it!

ScreaminZ400
04-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Z's are the easist thing to do wheelies on !!!

erac4019
04-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
Well my buddy got a Z400 and they are way more hyped up then are to be. i got on it and took off and they get credited for more power than they really have. maybe this one was runnin like **** but when my 400ex was stock i could wheelie it no problem. well i was ridin this Z on pavement and it was kinda hard to wheelie and didnt seem to have the zip they talk about.

anyone else get to ride one and were dissapointed with them

Smoke much crack?:huh Wheelie in 1st,2nd,3rd with just a push of the thumb on my Z...Stock motor.

luvmyex
04-04-2003, 03:43 PM
I think the Z has plenty of power,but thats all it has going for it.It will beat any stock ex in a drag.But i think they are tippy,dont hold up worth a crap.And have the worst design ever thought of in the rear end.Id rather rebuild my ex motor than try to adjust the chain on a Z.And there's no way in hell id trade my ex for one.

erac4019
04-05-2003, 12:23 AM
First of all its design is almost identical to the ex. Secondly it is not tippy and it does not sit any higher than the ex, it just looks that way because of the plastic. The chain adjustment is crap but the reliability is not an issue. They fixed the axel and the frame bending thing was blown way out of proportion.

AtvMxRider
04-05-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by ScreaminZ400
Z's are the easist thing to do wheelies on !!!

It doesn't matter what you ride it's up to you to ride the wheelie. I bet I can ride one on my son's trx90 just as good as anybody.

ZRider400
04-05-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by luvmyex
I think the Z has plenty of power,but thats all it has going for it.It will beat any stock ex in a drag.But i think they are tippy,dont hold up worth a crap.And have the worst design ever thought of in the rear end.Id rather rebuild my ex motor than try to adjust the chain on a Z.And there's no way in hell id trade my ex for one.

I agree with you about the goofy chain adjustment lmfao..... i always make fun of my swingarm and how it looks like a box:rolleyes:

and for the tippyness...it is more tippy than a Ex....but you just have to get used to it. i dont really have trouble with it tipping anymore.

NTPRacing#19
04-05-2003, 03:53 AM
well it must of been runnin like crap

DEAL
04-05-2003, 04:56 AM
My friend has the KFX
Its all right, its quicker off the bottom than the 400, it doesn't like to be lugged in higher gears at all, Its a decent bike but like most of you guys said I wouldn't trade my 400ex for it.

ScreaminZ400
04-05-2003, 07:43 AM
tell me if im wrong this is an EX site right?? more than likely thats why people r saying that

BigThumper33
04-05-2003, 01:06 PM
This may be an EX site, but I'm not narrow minded. After riding a Z I would never trade it in for a stock Z. Modded? Maybe just depends on the quad. I just feel that the magazines blew it way out of porportion to get sales, they bashed the ex like it was a blaster, but yet they are pretty close. I was never beat by a stock z when I only had a pipe and new filter....
If I were to buy either a new ex or a new z I would probably get the z, but trading in my ex for one...thats just out of the question.

QuadTrix6
04-05-2003, 01:23 PM
tell me if im wrong this is an EX site right?? more than likely thats why people r saying that

ah ha i see we have a newbie on our hands boys, listen buddy this aint bluetraxx we have a lot of well respected riders on this site and were all open to new quads and models a lot of guys on here have either had or currently have other model quads beside hondas so lets settle down before this gets outta hand ;) don't get so crazy when someone states an opinion :scary:

400exBro
04-05-2003, 01:24 PM
i agree with NTP we just bought a z 400 today i was expecting some major power... well first off it sits a lot higher then my ex, but there power isn't there... i pulled that z with my ex, i got a wb e-seris, sparks timing key jetting and everything, my ex has a lot more snap then the z, i mean a lot more... the z has a little more top end and that gives it the advantage over the ex... i will repost once i have tested them both on the track and had more seat time with the z, but personaly they are way over hyped... but yet again that z is stock and it will always be so...

balla250ex
04-05-2003, 04:08 PM
My friend has a z and he has a WB e-series on it. He beat a stock 400 a lil while back and was braggin like he had smoked a shee. Personally, If you can ride it, and they both are stock or equally modded you can beat a z on an ex or an ex on a z. That is, if it is'nt a long distance race. Through the woods-the ex will win hands down. If you're talkin bout wide open ridin-the Z will win. I would rather have a 400ex.:cool:

Sick0
04-06-2003, 10:13 AM
I think I would rather have a Z than the Ex. The 400ex motor is to out of date. you can do more with the Z for less money. But I do agree with some of you out there. I wouldn't trade my 400ex for it. Theres not a big enough diffrane in the to. And the 400ex has done for everything I need.

DEAL
04-06-2003, 02:25 PM

I'm definetly not narrow minded , I mean I drove the predator and loved it, it was sweet and if i can say that about a polaris i shouldn't have a problem complimenting a suzuki if I liked it.

FourFiftyFour
04-06-2003, 04:19 PM
I rode a Z with a PC T4 exhaust.. it was fairly responsive, i didnt get to really open it up but it felt like a good solid quad powerwise, not a powerhouse but not lackin any either, felt a little tippy, yes. But that's b/c Im not used to hoppin on stock quads anymore. So of course it's gonna feel really tippy to the racers. It's a good bike.. there's quite a bit of hype about it but I can see why... everyone has been wanting a new sport quad to come out in a reasonable price range such as Honda. Of course theres gonna be a lot of hype about it, it's actually something to talk about other than what mods u can put on your ex, which i am certainly not bashin on the exs they are awesome quads and I really think they are one of the best quads ever made. The Z is a great all-around track and trail quad... so you can get a lot of use out of it. I think that some ppl do well with the Z's and KFXs on the track, its really a matter of how well u do with the quad... u might be perfect on a 400ex, but another person might feel just as perfect on a Z, so whichever quad u choose, as long as you're happy with it, then everythings okay ;)

ScreaminZ400
04-07-2003, 02:41 AM
i agree

mxracer
04-07-2003, 03:54 AM
You guys at exriders say that the ex is better than a z or kfx. So why the bike in pro-production are almost all z and kfx and no ex.???

sly400ex
04-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Very well said 250xchick! My brother bought one. I like the power it produces, but it does not have as much bottom end as a 400. The motor likes to be reved a lot. The torque was an issue though, I was climbing hills on my 400 in 3rd, that my bro had to stay in seond or the motor would bog down too much! Love my 400!

BigThumper33
04-07-2003, 02:01 PM
mxracer, do you possibly think maybe because suzuki is factory sponsoring quads this year? HMMMMMMMmmmmmm

raptor_02
04-07-2003, 02:57 PM
the important thing is a modded Z will smoke a modded ex. I love my ex and wouldn't trade it for a Z but if you mod both of them and sink the same ammount of money in each engine the Z will just start to get that much more better than the ex. Z's are better hands down. But I still wouldn't trade my ex for one ;) I don't like the idea of buying a quad for 5500 then have to put another grand in the motor aloneto make it powerful. That's why cannondale needs to get back in business and honda and yamaha. Put crf and yzf motors in quads and sell them for around 5500 and that would be a steal. We need factory quads that are fast. Larry Ward pulled a holeshot in a Supercross race a couple of weeks ago on a stock CR engine. Now do you guys think someone in GNC could take a stock Z or EX engine and pull a holeshot????? NO WAY. Maybe a DALE though :p

04-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Raptor_02..you going to Budd's Creek? April 26th?

stocktires
04-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33

I don't think they have any low end.....which kinda blows. If I didn't want any low end....I'd get an R.

Seriously, have you ever even rode an R? :huh :eek2: :rolleyes:

BigThumper33
04-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Yup, got one in the garage actually.