PDA

View Full Version : Dead motor in water.

Stunz
08-06-2001, 12:44 PM
Every time I run through water that splashes over the front fenders, the motor starts to run rich, to a point that it fouls the plug (or so it seams). I usually have to rev it up for a while to clear it or if it dies, I have to let it sit for a few minuets before it will start again.

I've checked the air-box when this happens, and there is usually a small amout of water in there, the drain tube is usually about half full or full.

As long as water does not come over the front fenders, I'm OK.

Do you think this is caused by steam entering the motor?

I'm going to put dielectric grease on all of the connection to see if it is the ignition getting wet.

oynot400
08-06-2001, 12:51 PM
I would guess that something electrical is getting wet. I have noticed that on mine when I would hit a big water hole.:devil

Razorback
08-06-2001, 01:04 PM
I've had the same problem. I believe the plug gets a little wet which seems to cause it to want to stall. Like you said, if you keep it rev'd up for a little while, it clears up. I'm guess the water dries out. It could also be a variety of electrical connections, as previousely mentioned, because a lot of wires are right up front. A little trick that I use is to spray WD-40 over the plug area and all the electrical connections. This helps keep the water off, and it seems to work pretty good for me.

4punksdad
08-06-2001, 06:24 PM
if you have some water in your airbox, you might be sucking some into the filter. There is a tremendous amount of suction on that air filter when you have it pegged & the lid is on the airbox. This will cause the same symtoms you described.

08-06-2001, 11:21 PM
mabay it only happens cause water is now gettin into the snorkal or souch also. the 400 plug cap seems to seal good so i can't see it being water on the plug

E400X
08-07-2001, 05:54 AM
GO TO YOUR LOCAL CAR PARTS OR PEP BOYS AND GET SOME OF THE ELECTRIC WATER PROOF SPRAY. I THINK IT IS CALLED WIRE DRY BY SNAP. THAT MIGHT HELP KEEP THINKS DRIER WHEN GOING THROUGH WATER.

Stunz
08-10-2001, 08:35 AM
Well, I don't think its electrical.

I checked all the connections, cleanned up the ground on the coil to frame and put dielectric grease on all the contact from the motor forward.

I warmed it up, then started to spray the bike down with a garden hose. I dirrected the water right at evey single electrical connection (even the spark plug boot). No stalling or skipping.

Conclusion:

1. It must be water getting on the air-cleaner that causes a rich condition.

2. It was one of the connections that I cleaned up and put dielectric grease on.

3. The bike needs to have a load on it to feel the stalling or skipping. When I hosed it down, the bike was a idlel.

(LOL) I could have my kids spray me with the hose and throw bucket of water at me as I ride around my back yard.

AlaskaSpeed
08-10-2001, 02:01 PM
It seems obvious what the problem is. Water is being taken in through the snorkel, into your airbox. This is why some of those four wheel drive quads have those snorkel kits installed. You simply can't ride through that deep of water without expecting your quad to die. JIM

Stunz
08-10-2001, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Alaska_400EX
It seems obvious what the problem is. .... You simply can't ride through that deep of water without expecting your quad to die. JIM

The water was not even over my foot pegs! But I hit it a little to fast. It splashed up over the front fenders. That's when it started to stumble. I was able to keep it running, but it soon died when I put a load on it (coming out of a mud hole).

The drain tube was only half to almost full of water at this point.

Everytime I get water "splashing" over the front fenders, the motor starts to run like crap.

dbsbl1
08-10-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Stunz
(LOL) I could have my kids spray me with the hose and throw bucket of water at me as I ride around my back yard.

Make sure you have your wife video tape it, so we can all laugh at you:D :huh

AlaskaSpeed
08-10-2001, 03:37 PM
Did you not read my reply to your problem???? It doesn't matter how deep the water is that you are going through, if it is splashed up and taken in through your air intake....once again, your problem is water taken into the snorkel......JIM

worm
08-11-2001, 10:30 PM
obvious....... you fixed your problem when you cleaned it up right?