PDA

View Full Version : idle problems on rebuild

TheX1992
04-03-2003, 04:42 PM
okay long story short. stock carb, went from pump gas to ported head, 12:1 .020 piston and race gas (b-32). supertrapp pipe and k&n filter(added supertrap on rebuild). also added spitfire plug. i start it up (starts before i can get 1 full kick) but it idles real high and when i give it gas it hesitates alot. i think im too rich. i havnt done a plug check yet sorry to say it was freezing rain today. no smoke coming out of the pipe, just the nice smell of race gas. i tried adjusting the idle screw while it was running but there was no effect. i also have a problem with gas pouring out of the return lines. the book says its a stuck float so i hit the sides like it said and it helped but its back again.

so it wont idle and gas is pouring out. any ideas? i think i need to rejet.

04-03-2003, 07:18 PM
You gotta get the carb problems fixed b4 you start thiniking about jetting

TheX1992
04-04-2003, 05:21 AM
okay i got the leak stopped this morning. its still pretty bad. high idle and dies when u give it some nuts. what do you think???

04-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Ok now try adjusting your air/fuel screw and then your idle etc.

If you find any more problems just pick them off one at a time from there.

TheX1992
04-05-2003, 04:16 AM
sounds good i'll try it when the SNOW GOES AWAY :eek2:

F-16Guy
04-05-2003, 07:15 AM
12:1 CR, porting, pipe? I'm no expert on 250x's, but my dad put a 400ex carb on his, so I know it will fit. Maybe you should think about finding a used one and jetting it down a little. With the high compression and porting, you should be flowing enough to use a bigger carb and see some benefits. Look in the "for sale" section here, I'll bet someone has one they'll sell to you. Otherwise, go up on the pilot 1 or 2 sizes and start way fat on the main and work backward until there's no improvement, then go back to the next size up. Better to be a little rich. Leave the needle in the stock location until you get in the ball park, and then fine tune. As for the gas, take the float bowl off and check the fuel inlet seat for debris and the neddle to make sure the rubber nipple is still intact and in good shape. You must be really lean, because most of the time, a stuck float or leaking needle will cause the engine to flood and idle poorly (if at all). Check your intake boot for cracks/leaks,too, that will make it lean.

TheX1992
04-06-2003, 02:55 PM
i talked to my bud today and he said its proably the float because he had the same problem. how do i unstick a float? i tried beating the side of the carb like the book said.........:rolleyes: