PDA

View Full Version : Yup, I'm dumb

BigThumper33
04-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Alright, I need some help. While rebuilding the 416, I was rotating the crankshaft trying to get the cam chain to hop back on the gear, well I wasn't paying much attention and now it is bound up. I can't get it out for anything. It also will not rotate in the other direction....so that option is out. It is bound up on the front side, facing the quad. I've taken off the clutch side case to get a peek, and it looks like I'll have to take off the clutch basket to free up those gears.... Anyone got any easier way or am I stuck, cause I don't have the clutch holder tool to loosen that nut on the basket.....any other way to hold it without ruining the basket?

BigThumper33
04-03-2003, 02:50 PM
bump

04-03-2003, 03:32 PM
I have heard of people having success with a impac gun etc, and either putting it in gear or using a tie down to hold the basket.

Just cant understand how you did that and why it would not "reverse".

BigThumper33
04-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Sometime is keeping the motor from going backwards.... It is not in gear, not that it matters, the clutch is out....

It has to be because it is bound up right? I dont have a clue... What a pain in the ***

RED121572
04-03-2003, 04:29 PM
I think I may have an answer.

Get yourself a really big sledge hammer.......:D

BigThumper33
04-04-2003, 05:41 AM
I thought of that as more of a last resort..... ;)

Extremeracer167
04-04-2003, 06:24 AM
impact gun is what i used, and u dont have to hold the clutch from spinning..........cause it wont. Just get an impact gun, and u will have the problem fixed in a matter of minutes

BigThumper33
04-04-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm curious, does the ex motor spin both clockwise and counterclockwise freely? I have the clutch out and did some looking, and it looks like if I can get the crankshaft to spin clockwise if looking it it from right side) that it would pop right out, but I can't get it to budge.....

BigThumper33
04-04-2003, 11:21 AM
I'm dumb......really really dumb..

Well I got it fixed. I'm an idiot.....flat out...

I figured out why it wouldn't turn the other way...... I had my starter cover off, polished, and sent to get powder cleared.. I stuffed a rag in there to keep crap out. Well some of the rag got caught up in the gear....cant turn backwards, but could forwards.. I got the chain out, had to take off the clutch basket, oil pump and then it fell right out...... I wish I had the cash to get a hinson basket while I'm here.......

This is my darkest hours..... :huh :blah :mad: :grr :scary: