PDA

View Full Version : What to look for on a 400ex?

ZSK
04-03-2003, 01:02 PM
I didn't know which forum to post this but a kid at school has a 1999 or 2000 400ex for sale sounds like stock, maybe with an aftermarket fmf pipe but not 100% sure. What do I need to look for that could be wrong? Frame, suspension, engine? I need to know if I'm getting something I'm going to regret. Also if/when I test ride it what should I look/ listen for? Thanks for the help.

Bad Azz Bob
04-04-2003, 04:10 PM
I bought a 2000 a yr ago, it seemed great seemed to run ok and looked clean as hell..... I was wrong hadda alot of minor problems after And it had a chipped valve guide and gettin to junk rings. Def. do a good compression check, look for cracks in the frame, look under the atv, make sure the shocks are good condition, and I would ask to start it up make sure it runs and revs good and ask to take it for a ride. If he says no... you know somethings wrong.

04-04-2003, 04:17 PM
the frame cracks by the upper shock mounts, the lower a arms crack right around hte bracket the shock bolts to soo look at it closely or u wont notice it,swingarm cracks too besides that just check for the usualy stuff

Chanman420q
04-04-2003, 04:26 PM
When you ride it also check for a high pinging noice.. make sure the valves arent to messed up... also make sure it idles and starts fine. Dont let it like skip a beat..... so to say

Honda4trax250x
04-04-2003, 06:01 PM
see if it starts easily but first feel the engine to see if its warm already then u no the guy wasnt confident bout it starting easily so he did it b4 u came check to see that the shocks are not busted and the frame isnt cracked then to bring him down on the price just mention BS problems u have with it this works!