PDA

View Full Version : What to look for on 400ex?

ZSK
04-03-2003, 12:03 PM
I didn't know which forum to post this but a kid at school has a 1999 or 2000 400ex for sale sounds like stock, maybe with an aftermarket fmf pipe but not 100% sure. What do I need to look for that could be wrong? Frame, suspension, engine? I need to know if I'm getting something I'm going to regret. Also if/when I test ride it what should I look/ listen for? Thanks for the help.

DoPeExRiDeR20
04-03-2003, 01:15 PM
i'd say check for nics in the suspension, check the rear brake pads..... take off the seat and check the airfilter and make sure everythigns clean...... check our the exhaust make sure the pipes in full tact and try to tell if everythign is in alignment( make sure the tires dont sway back and forth when u test ride it so u dont have a bent axle )..... and maybe to close the deal try to get him to sign a written agreement tht everything is working in good condition and all incase sumthign happens a week or so after u buy it........... thts all i got for now ......btw how much u getting it for ????

ZSK
04-03-2003, 01:22 PM
I don't know if I'm actually going to buy it or not or if he's really serious about selling it. He said make a reasonable offer and I was thinking about $3200 maybe MAYBE he might take a trade for my 300ex and about $500 I don't know though. I just wanted to know what to look for when I do look at it. Anybody else?

nojoke4stroke
04-03-2003, 03:13 PM
pretty much what he said also check for zero play in your axle to make sure the bearings and carrier are in good shape,they can be pricey.check the oil if its low or empty then this gives you an idea of his maintenance abilities and possibly what kind of shape the motors in.check for worn sprockets and chain,at dead center halfway between the top and bottom of the sprocket try to pull the chain out towards you,if it comes off more than half a tooth length the chain is shot.look for bent or dented rims.make sure the throttle clutch and brakes operate smoothly.last but not least check the undercarriage for dents to the a-arms,frame,and swingarm,also check the front bumper and the subframe for tweaks.If everything looks well pay around 3000 to 3200 for a 2000 and 27or 2800 to 3000 for a 99.But for all thats wrong deduct the proper amount to replace the damaged parts.Remember,you can shell out another 2000 and get a 400 you know hasnt been beaten.Keep runnin that 300 till you get enough money,it might be worth it.

zfire_28
04-03-2003, 08:38 PM
smoke when you start, or make any odd knocking noises?
clutch working?
cracks in frame?
axle bent?
swing arm bent/twisted?
steering stem bent?
pipe in good shape?
check oil/air filter
a-arms bent/cracked?
rims, tires, and hubs can be expensive to replace.

chain, sprockets, brake pads, levers/cables, and handle bars aren't too expensive, but if u got to replace more than one it can add up.