PDA

View Full Version : elka ssd shock ?

exrider123
04-03-2003, 10:41 AM
I was looking to get elka tripple rate w/o rezzies how does the ssd spring do in the woods for x/c would a works shock be better ?...and how does elka compare to works is it worth the extra $150 ?

exrider123
04-03-2003, 11:30 AM
and will the elkas on the front with the ssd be ok with the stock rear ?

4TraxRider
04-03-2003, 11:47 AM
The ssd will work, and it's not that bad for the woods. IMO i'd get the works with rezzies for the same price. I love mine for woods riding.

DirtDiggler
04-03-2003, 12:06 PM
If you wanted to you could put an SSD or ZPS spring on your rear shock so the whole bike sagged evenly.

exrider123
04-03-2003, 12:22 PM
but would the ssd shock be ok with the stock rear ?

DirtDiggler
04-03-2003, 12:27 PM
I don't know that I can give you a 100% answer but I can give you this.

SSD = Self Sagging Device

This lets you lower the ride height. You could adjust the top collars on the front shocks to get the ride height to be the same as stock and the rear would be fine.

Or you could add an SSD or ZPS spring to the stock rear and set the rear up to sag as well as the front. What I don't know about doing this is how it would effect jumping since the rear isn't really set up/valved to do this. It would be great on a flat track if there is no jumps. You could also send in your rear shock and have it reworked/revalved by Elka so it would be a full SSD shock and it would be cheaper than buying a new rear shock.

remlapr
04-03-2003, 12:28 PM
I have asked these questions before and was told, yes the elka ssd's will be O.K., just drop down the pre-load on the rear stocker. As far as running lower with the SSD in the woods, I believe the quote was

"buy a good set of skid plates and don't worry about the little stuff"

I now have PRM skids :D , although I haven't ordered my Elkas yet :(

DirtDiggler
04-03-2003, 12:29 PM
btw,
If they look at the thread I know there are more than a few guys on here that can really explain this well and give you a solid answer. My shock knowledge is limited and I'm just trying to lend a hand with what I do know about shocks.

04-03-2003, 12:44 PM
having sag in the woods is not a bad thing..it's great actually...even though the quad squats more you don't loose enough ground clearance to cause any problems... SSD in the woods on a good trail with some ruts is like being on rails..it's friggen awesome.. The elka's will work better in the woods than the works hands down..Unless the works are setup with a SSD spring..:blah

exrider123
04-03-2003, 12:47 PM
ok thanks...so should i do anything to the stock rear like adjust the preload to make it sit lower or just leave it ?

04-03-2003, 12:48 PM
how big of a guy are you???

I'd say yes..soften the preload and the compression both...but a SSD setup out back is what ya need..:cool:

Dave400ex
04-03-2003, 12:53 PM
I had just my Elka fronts for about a month before I sent my rear out to be rebuilt and I didn't have any problems with the rear and fronts. You could try adjusting the preload to make it sit lower, but you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't noticed a difference in ground clearence really either. I know mine sits lower, but I don't get hung up on anything that isn't really, really deep, that everybody else would get stuck too. Plus most of the time when going over stuff I stand up and in ruts you just got to take a good line...

exrider123
04-03-2003, 01:46 PM
i weigh 135lbs.

Tommy 17
04-03-2003, 02:00 PM
i run ssd elka front with a stk rear shokc and i'm 100% fine... the bakc sucks compared to the fronts but it works...

exrider123
04-03-2003, 02:03 PM
i weigh 135...for x/c and trails should it be setup more or less than my actual weight?

Dave400ex
04-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Well that depends if you like the shocks soft or hard. When I ordered my shocks I weighted 205 and had them setup for 215 because of riding gear and all of that. I think if you want them soft tell them 135, but for just about right go with 145. My shocks seem just fine and they are setup for XC. Actually I have lost about 5 pounds and am at 200 and the fronts still feel spot on, but really from stock I can't tell if the shocks are setup good or not.