PDA

View Full Version : easy out help

EXDUNER127
04-03-2003, 08:45 AM
:has any one used an easy-out, i broke a bolt in the oil filter cover on my 400, what is the best way to use this so i dont funk things up, help appriciated.

ridered86
04-03-2003, 09:06 AM
take a center punch and punch the broken end of the bolt(the piece thats in the engine), this ensure that your drill can start in the center without rolling off. drill into it a good ways prob like 1/2 an inch, with a drill bit just big enough so that you do not go through the bolt and hit the alumanun threadings in the engine. after drilling take the easy out and put it in the hole, tapping it gently with the hammer and start to turn it in(so it bites more material) and once it bottoms out in the hole you drilled the bolt should start un-threading. good luck, and also stuff some paper towel into where your filter goes to ensure you dont get filings in you engine

Sportrax10
04-03-2003, 09:17 AM
I broke the right bolt on my oil filter cover and all I did was take the case off the the broken end was right there and i twisted it out with my hand.

PHIL_B54
04-03-2003, 01:52 PM
how did you break the bolt?? man i bet you feel dumb

i stripped the threads out of the case instead :eek2:
i really dont want to get back into her, but i need to, have to get a heli-coil

good luck with the bolt

EXDUNER127
04-03-2003, 03:10 PM
I was just tightening the smaller bolt and the long bolt just popped out the dealer ship said it happens often so they can charge 6.00 a bolt...go figure

PHIL_B54
04-04-2003, 02:01 AM
i wish i had broken the bolt, $6 looks pretty good to me. every time i mess with it i screw something up, im going to try to find a place to put in the helicoil for me, or there will be no little sahara for me:(