PDA

View Full Version : Building an R

la400ex
04-03-2003, 04:12 AM
Im about to start building a 250r. All I will have is the frame. Should I make it a complete rolling chassis then look for a motor or should I buy a motor, then make it a roller? Im probably going to make it a roller first. Im probably going with elkas and burgard a arms up front. Im gonna use a stock swingarm for now and a modded stock rear shock. Im not sure about which axle or carrier. I have all the calipers off of my ex, they will work right? I think im gonna go with white plastics, fibe industries hood, and lots of bling from pappy. How does all this sound? I might be done next year sometime because of money. Thanks, Anthony

250rmike
04-03-2003, 08:09 AM
get the chassis first and all the parts that take longer to get in that way when u do get a motor you can just though a couple things on and go ride

Bean
04-03-2003, 09:48 AM
build it chassi first, complete the chassi, so it can roll, and then get the motor, that way you have somewhere to put the motor and more time to plan out your motor mods, BTW, get stock 250r calipers, they are much better

wilkin250r
04-03-2003, 10:12 AM
I'd go with the chassis first, there is more involved. Unless you're a pro, you can't do much with the engine. You can't bore it yourself, or re-sleeve it. You can't even fire it up and fine-tune it until you have the frame to put it in. If you are machining the cases to install a big-bore, or having major porting done, you pretty much send out your engine, and get it back ready to run. There's not much YOU can do yourself.

With the chassis, you can have it coated and do all the bling bling, set up the suspension with the a-arms, axle, swingarm, ect... install the radiator, airbox, plastics, all very hands-on stuff you do yourself. Then, when you get your motor, you throw it in and GO!!

MILF_HUNTER
04-03-2003, 10:16 AM
as for an axle and carrier. id go with either RPM or Lonestar. i my self am goin with an RPM axle when my durabreak goes on me. and like everyone said. make it a roller first that way you can move it around and sit on it and make motor noises and if you close your eyes and put a big fan infront of you it feels like your riding :o