PDA

View Full Version : Wiseco Rings

GrounD PoundeR
04-03-2003, 03:26 AM
Simple question I hope. On the piston where the oil ring goes there is a little ring inside of it. I'm not refering to the retaining rings that go on the outer edge. Does that little ring need to come out before installing on the piston or does it stay. Hate to have that little thing break after I put it together.

whoops another question what is a good way to compress the rings when slide the piston back into the jug? I dont want to score the sleave.

F-16Guy
04-03-2003, 06:23 AM
Yes, that little wire-like ring stays in the oil ring. As far as install, first make sure your rings are gapped and staggered correctly (follow the directions that come with the rings carefully), and any burrs removed. Then go buy a $8 ring compresser from Checker, the size range will be on the package. Be sure to use lots of oil on the piston and cylinder. Good luck.

GrounD PoundeR
04-03-2003, 09:18 AM
I would have to say the instructions on the piston suck. :mad: I dont feel it gave me enough info. but I'm a rookie at doing this. Next time it will probably be cake walk.

XTC I am assuming stands for exhaust?

GrounD PoundeR
04-04-2003, 03:04 AM
Is there a store that carries a ring compressor for sliding the piston in like Auto Zone.....

F-16Guy said about getting one from checker but I have no idea who or where to get one. Any ideas?

F-16Guy
04-04-2003, 03:36 AM
Yeah, Checker or Auto Zone will have a ring compressor. Look in their tool section. It will be a cylindrical, blue (usually) deal with a little 1/4 or 3/8 rachet device on the side of it. When you put the piston in, make sure the rings are set up (gapped, and staggered on the piston like the directions say). Slide the ring compressor over the oiled piston, rachet the compressor down tight around the piston, and then butt the compressor up against the bottom of the cylinder (make sure you orient the piston in the right direction with the cylinder, arrow points toward exhaust) and tap the piston in with something forgiving, like the wooden end of a hammer. Leave the skirt end hanging down enough that the wrist pin can be slid in, and your ready for assembly.

GrounD PoundeR
04-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the good info.:D There is a good a chance I might of jacked some stuff up.:huh

ChadEXer
04-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Man your scaring me!! I sure hope it works out! You get those gaskets yet?

MXQUAD294
04-04-2003, 04:11 PM
I bought a ring compressing tool from a local auto parts store. It's made by a company called Lisle Tool, the part number is 19000. It's made for small engines for installing pistons from the bottom of the cylinder (ie. ATV's, motorcycles, etc.) It works great.

GrounD PoundeR
04-06-2003, 05:07 AM
Piston is installed. The real pain is when you have to attach the piston to the rod. I had to have most of the piston out of the sleave to attach it to the rod. Everything being oiled down it slid out of the sleave a couple times, but its in and I bolted the jug down.