PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacment

LynchmobR
04-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Hey,

I have a 86 250R and i need to replace the clutch badly can anyone tell or try to explain to me step by stpe on how to change the plates??

thanks
Lynch

oynot400
04-03-2003, 03:11 AM
Changing a clutch is easy. If you have never done it, I highly suggest getting a manual. ;) Other than what the manual might say, I recommend soaking the fibers in oil over night. Then scuff the steels, slightly with steel wool or scratch them on some rough concrete. Just be sure to clean them off before installing them. :)

e gracie
04-03-2003, 05:46 AM
what happens if u do not soak fibres in oil over night?
just replaced mine and have not done so.do i need to get them back out? or take it easy for a little while elp plz...

have not fired her up since dun it soo now i is worried :huh

oynot400
04-03-2003, 07:47 AM
By soaking the fibers, they will hold better. Less chance of slippage. That is what Mike at For Dirt Only told me, and I have heard that from other people. If it is not a big deal to take out, I would do it. Otherwise take it easy until they soak up some oil. In other words, no 2nd gear starts on pavement. :devil

oregonrider89
04-03-2003, 07:51 AM
Soak the fibers!!! If you don't soak the fibers you will smoke your new clutch 5 minutes into your first ride. Just set them in some tranny oil of 30 minutes and you'll be fine.

oregonrider89

LynchmobR
04-05-2003, 09:51 AM
hey i was wondering where i could get a manual or something like it. i called a local store and they told me 65-70 dollars
i found one for my blaster for like 25 bucks, does anyone know of a cheaper on like that ???

thanks
Lynch

ridered86
04-05-2003, 11:10 AM
id call up rockymmountainatv or nacs racing, or maybe even our site sponsor;)

300exazzkikr
04-05-2003, 03:37 PM
any clymer manual is 30 bucks, best investment. What you do on the water pump cover take out the plug to drain the antifreeze. then you take the two water hoses off. Take the kickstarter off. Take the clutch cover off. Then you'll see all the clutches. Take the 5 bolts that hold the pressure plate on. Each bolt has a spring on it. Slide the pressure plate off remove clutches and steel plates. and reassemble in reverse order.