PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Raptor Problems

Stock 400 rider
04-02-2003, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking of buying a raptor but I don't have much money to spend. There's a big diference at the price on the 2001/2002.
Many people said to me: don't even think getting a 2001 it has lots of problems in suspension, very tippy....
Is that true? What big problems the 2001 have?
I really want to get a 2001 because of the price, should I?

Ben
04-02-2003, 11:28 PM
In short.... NO! Stop, halt, run away, do not pass Go, do not collect $200!! The 2001 Raptor had serious transmittion issues (and other smaller issues as well) that could be extremely dangerous (i.e. you could be traveling down the trail at 30mph and the transmittion could lock up and throw you violently to the ground. Not to mention the prohibitive cost of fixing the transmittion shortcomins - about $800. Run, don't walk, from an 01 Raptor. Yamaha corrected the 01 Raptor issues with the 2002 model and I would feel comfortable buying an 02 Raptor (heck I owned an 02 Raptor at one time) if that is the quad you really want (but you aren't asking that question).

Ben

Knight440
04-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Ben is right stay away from the 01's!!!!!!!!

Nutster_98
04-03-2003, 12:26 AM
Not all 2001 models are bad. I bought one about 2 months ago and there is no signs of anything being wrong at all with the tranny. In fact, I ride with 2 other 2001 Raptor's and they haven't had any trouble either. But I have seen the posts on blue traxx, which does seem to indicate a problem with some of them. So I guess it would be like a flip of a coin as to how lucky you are. Btw dude, if you hold out about a month, I will sell you mine (need it to go to Waynoka at the end of April), but after that I will be selling it. Have to keep the ol' 400ex cause I bought it brand new and still owe too much to sell it!

Nutster_98

blusteel1
04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
if you ask me you need to stay away from the raptor all years...there are a ton of guys here where i live that have nothin but problems with them...not just 01's. and if you ever plan on doing motor work to it..just forget it,cause as soon as you break the bolts to do motor work,your tranny will bust ,or your starter drive gears are going to strip due to the extra compression,and the head will either blow gaskets or o rings and water will get in the engine and blow steam out your pipes,not to mention the carb boots pop off on a regular basis.....the raptor is a new engine that is powerfull but not researched long enough. its a straight up terd. i used to want one but ive been around them long enough to see the problems they have....so if you plan on getting one,i would suggest doing nothing to it except a pipe and thats it.

QuadJunkies
04-03-2003, 02:34 AM
please take Bens advice serious and dont....:eek: its not worth the gamble IMO. tons of tranny problems... Heck my buddy even had a few probs with his 02 model with the tranny a few months into owninig it, but they did warrenty that and its now fixed...;) This is not a bash on Raptors, just sharing what I have seen personally from one

goochy
04-03-2003, 05:30 AM
:mad: DO NOT BUY A 2001!!!!!!!!!!! , I just sold mine and got a Z 400.. I love the Z, the Craptor SUCKS.....

Tranny
Starter One Way
Axle weak
too narrow
Clutch
Tie rods weak
Rotor
DO NOT BUY A RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

400grl
04-03-2003, 05:31 AM
We have on 01 Raptor that is a full-on race quad....and it has seen some hard times, that's for sure. The frame broke in about 15 places (not joking) after about a year of hard racing (but then again.....what stock frame won't!)...we have just replaced the tranny for the 3rd time. One note on the tranny....it's the dogs on the 2nd wheel gear that go out-they just rip off after a while....I have heard from sever great techs that you can help eleviate this problem by going up 3 years in the rear sprocket, which will basically change the 01 to the 02 gearing. We have dropped a tooth in the front, and this seems to help it last longer. If you can do your own trannies, it costs us about $200 do replace it in parts.

The axle nuts are another issue you might run into - keeping them tight is tricky!

The axle on ours broke - but again, it's stock.

Swingarm broke - again - stock swingarm - you race a quad hard and stock stuff is gonig to break a lot!

You won't get away from tipiness or weight or anything with a different year Raptor - the changes were more of an internal nature when going from older to newer. You can modify your Raptor just like the Hondas....get them wider and lower and better suspension if you don't like the stock set-up.

As far as power mods - don't really need any! It's so detuned from the factory, that with taking off the airbox and getting a good filter kit/clamp on accessory - opening up the pipes by aftermarket header and muffler - and rejetting....the thing is a beast!!! More than enough power!

As for the carb boots blowing off - yeah, that will happen if you gas it when you start it sometimes....causes a backfire, and that's what will do it. That can be easily worked around - learn how to start it by applying throttle before you start - use your choke.....our boots have only blown off once or twice with all the riding we do.

We have sunk tons of money into the Raptor - while in comparison, my Honda is basically problem free. However, Raptor peopel for the most part love their quads.....if it's what you want, and you go into it knowing the pros and cons - then you are in good shape.

One more note - dealers work is not necessarily good.....we had the tranny done under warranty the first time....the 2nd time, we did it ourselves. Found a hack job, basically, when we got into the cases.....cotterpins/clips had been re-used, etc. We actually put the tranny back together with a slightly worn shift fork (didn't order the right one) - expecting it to wear down the drum in about 6 months......when the trany finally went again, it was the 2nd gear wheel dogs.....the shift fork and drum were wear free. I believe this was because we did the work ourselves, and did it right. Beware of dealerships...make sure they do good work before you trust them with your machines. You can' see inside - can't see if they do a good job or not until it's too late.....go by word of mouth.

OK - I gotta work!!! Good luck on whatever you get!!!

QuadJunkies
04-03-2003, 05:41 AM
lets hope my buddy got good work done on his from the dealer, he picks it up today...;) I know what you mean about dealers, My daughers mini had a total wire harness melt down thanks to a guy that didnt know squat!:grr ?Had to redo all the wiring but now it sounds and runs better than it ever did doing our own work on it......

Nutster_98
04-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Hmm...now you guys got me wondering why I am having none of the above problems. Starter works just fine, and tranny shifts and sounds just like any other year Raptor. I guess it could be possible that the original owner had the tranny updated, but it would seem like he would have told me about something that significant. Oh well, it runs much better than my 400ex (don't get me wrong, the EX is much more fun to jump and wheely) so I am ok with that :)

Nut

400grl
04-03-2003, 07:39 AM
It could have alot to do with the way it has been ridden and what type of riding has been done with it. If it's only been trail ridden and not put throught the rigors of racing or duning, then you just may not have many problems with it. I didn't have any problems with my raptor except the carb boots/rear rotor warping before I sold it.......so......this will just be good info for your down the road in case anything similar happens to you! :) Enjoy your beast! :)

QuadJunkies
04-03-2003, 07:59 AM
very true.. alot has to do with how it is rode and how well a person does his maintenece(I know ALOT that dont) use of proper oils, ect.. I hope you enjoy it, and one way to look at it is....its better than having nothing right!!:blah ;)

joeroadking
04-03-2003, 11:40 AM
STOP DO NOT BUY A 2001 RAPTOR I had one and what a nightmare the tranny blew, the one way starter assembly goes every couple months to the tune of $200.00 in inferior parts, the key way on mainshaft broke 3 times throwing off my ignition what a POS the worst atv I ever owned I spent more weekends fixing it while buds where out riding I was so happy to be rid of it !! I almost burned it just to see the flames!! no kidding even writing about that POS inspires anger! :mad:

honda_250x_87
04-03-2003, 12:43 PM
hey.. 01 raptors seem like garbage.. but i'd still rather have one than my old 250x.. damn thing runs so good tho.. & aboot the transmission problems, would that lock up when ur wide open? wow.. u'd be dead!

660bigdaddy
04-06-2003, 01:03 AM
you guys are crazy. when your back tires lock up on a quad. they don't throw you over the handle bars. geez. quads don't stop that fast. anyone ever throw a chain and have the rearend lock up? did you go over the bars?
my 01 was raced hard. lasted a year and i bent a shift fork drag racing it.
traded it for a 03. gear spacing is great, tranny is smooth and finished 5th at a gncc race the first time out w/ it. so i would say i like it ! if you think it's tippy, get your butt of the seat and lean. oh btw, i beat about 15 400ex's that day. top 4 was 250r, 250r, 400ex and 250r. than my CRAPTOR in 5th out of 23 riders. it's not what you ride, it's how you ride.

goochy
04-06-2003, 01:49 AM
:mad: well my tranny locked up and YES it almost threw my over the bars, had two cuts on each leg where i hit the bars so hard with my legs. Raptor tipppy, yes VERY!!!! It is to narrow, maybe yours is not tippy becasuse your BIGDADDY , but mine was tippy, the plus 2 in the ft and plus 2 axle really helped. How many starter one ways have you been though?? It took me 4 one ways to FORCE me to sell my 2001 Craptor. Its too big, too heavy, tippy, breaks down to often. Yes I had a 2001 so I know what I'm talking about. I have 3 friends now needing one ways. Yamaha missed the boat, I will NEVER buy another Yamaha. I love my weak little Z 400, it is faster in the tight stuff , than my old Craptor. But when I get done with it , it will not be weak for long. Sorry but the Raptor just sucks.... I know they all break , but the Yamaha Raptor broke ALOT, and Yamaha would NOT help us 2001 owners out.:mad:

joeroadking
04-06-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by goochy
:mad: well my tranny locked up and YES it almost threw my over the bars, had two cuts on each leg where i hit the bars so hard with my legs. Raptor tipppy, yes VERY!!!! It is to narrow, maybe yours is not tippy becasuse your BIGDADDY , but mine was tippy, the plus 2 in the ft and plus 2 axle really helped. How many starter one ways have you been though?? It took me 4 one ways to FORCE me to sell my 2001 Craptor. Its too big, too heavy, tippy, breaks down to often. Yes I had a 2001 so I know what I'm talking about. I have 3 friends now needing one ways. Yamaha missed the boat, I will NEVER buy another Yamaha. I love my weak little Z 400, it is faster in the tight stuff , than my old Craptor. But when I get done with it , it will not be weak for long. Sorry but the Raptor just sucks.... I know they all break , but the Yamaha Raptor broke ALOT, and Yamaha would NOT help us 2001 owners out.:mad: could not have said it better myself!:mad:

660bigdaddy
04-06-2003, 11:20 AM
i've never replaced any starter parts. out of the 5 raptors i ride with only one of the guys has had starter and tranny problems. and that was a 01.

4punksdad
04-08-2003, 12:02 PM
i have 2 friends with 01 raptors. one shifts fine, the other shifts like there is a cinder block on your toe. both are tippy and the power is not useable in the tight stuff. They would probably be awesome in the wide open stuff though. I would consider owning a 02 model.

4punksdad
04-08-2003, 12:05 PM
PS..........the raptor jumps well :)