PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Had Problems w/PS2????

Kirklandrock
04-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Hi ALL,
got a PS2 for Christmas, have really enjoyed it until last nite... I hooked it up to my HomeTheater Receiver using the Digital Optical out. so that I could get Dolby/DTS thru my theater system.... Plug in Lord of the Rings and man does it sound great.. for about 6mins.. then it just quits..... Audio and VIdeo.... on the screen it says Not able to read disc. so I switch discs to something else........ Nothing at all....... Tried a game,,,, nothing.....
ALl I get is a greyish/lighter black screen with some vertical lines on the left of the screen........ Anyone ever dealt with this???? I hope someone can help...... Sony wants $103... to freakin check it out.......... That sucks big........ its only 4mos. old.......

HELP.....
JOE

Chef
04-02-2003, 04:52 PM
I have had mine for a little over a year, and it wouldn't read the 8 Mile DVD. It also paused in the middle of GTA 3 last night and said there was an error reading the disc. :confused:

JUSTINcredible
04-02-2003, 04:56 PM
i would give a disk cleaner a try.. mine would do that untill i got the disk cleaner.. i got it at sam goody for $10 bucks

TORO1968
04-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Mine's had its fair share of screw ups like those mentioned... But it's still the best console out there!!!

Sportrax10
04-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Same thing happened to me on my old one. My friend said his did the same thing and he just sent it to Sony and they fixed it free. I still havnt gotten to try that so I dont know if it will work.
A person at EB said that you should not play dvds too often and you should always shut it off correctly when your dont using it.

CowsBitePeople
04-03-2003, 12:58 AM
after about 5 months mine stoppedreading everything games or dvd's....I was sooo pissed off....Luckily i have a warrenty on it so im sending it out to get it fixed....

MaTT....

BaD_250ex
04-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Mine wont read anything either. So I got so pissed of that I just made my mom by me a X-Box. I am going to have it sent in to get fixed, thier was somthing on the news about it a while back. Sony said that they deny anything being wrong. I got mine 2 christmas's ago and it started Fu(kin up last year.

Striker49
04-03-2003, 01:08 AM
I would highly recommend running a cd cleaner through it. Computers aren't as bad as they used to be, but PSIIs are constantly being open and closed and dust will collect really fast. Run the cleaner through it and see if that helps, and if it doesnt I dunno what to tell ya. It wont be a waste of money on the cleaner though, you will more than likely need it again in the future for computer and stereo equipment. :) So far I have no had any problems with my PSII and Ive had it since Christmas.
Just make sure you keep your CDs in their cases so dust stays off of them. :)

cyba888
04-03-2003, 01:14 AM
mines been modified to play pirated games and original, so far it still works like a charm and I can get any game thats out for 2 US Dollars :blah I have over 50 games...

MOFO
04-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by BaD_250ex
. I just made my mom by me a X-Box. .

I've seen alot of statements on this site that make me say to myself....WTF is wrong with kids these days....

Fred55
04-03-2003, 08:58 AM
The lens probably needs cleaing. Try that.

sportraxrider10
04-03-2003, 09:17 AM
i have a cheap memory card that you have to load a little disk in for the memory to load and now it won't read that little disk so all my memory on that memory card is gone, i don't know what to do. and how do you go about cleaning the lens?

Lasher
04-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Forget the sending it to Sony. Forget the $10 cleaners that may scratch the lens. It takes me 10 minutes to clean the lazer eye. A friend of mine called Sony when this happened. He got them to fix it for free. Sent the machine in, waited over a month and get it back. 2 days later the same thing happened. So he called and they sent him a brand new unit. (took another 6 weeks) Now if (and it will) happen again, he plans to clean it like I do.

Also, it is a design flaw in the PS2. Dust gets pulled over the lazer eye when the fan runs.

And do not run DVDs in the PS2. I did not get a DVD player because the PS2 could handle the job. But when I started playing more and more DVDs, I needed to clean the lazer eye more often. Save your $200 PS2 by buying a $50 DVD player from walmart. It will work better than the PS2.

First, get some air in a can. They sell this at any Radio Shack or computer store. Now get some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

You will need a medium sized philips and small philips screw driver.

Flip the PS2 upside down and remove the 8 screws on the bottom. Two are small and the others are longer.

Carefully flip the PS2 back upright. Lift the back of the cover up until it just clears the unit. Then slide it forward to clear the control plugs.

Once you have gotten the top free, DO NOT LIFT TOO HIGH. There is a computer connection between the console and the reset button on the lid. So carefully flip the top to the right (if facing the front of the PS2) and lay it on the floor next to you.

Now you can see four small screws on the CD cover. Remove those screws and lift the top of the CD tray off.

Inside the CD unit you will see the lazer eye. Dip the Q-tip into the rubbing alcohol and LIGHTLY rub the lazer eye. Then grab the can of compressed air ans spray the lazer eye until it is dry. If you did not do it first, spray the entire PS2 to get rid of the dust (there will be alot) before you clean the eye.

Once the eye has been cleaned two or three times, you can put everything back together in the reverse order.

If you are still having trouble reading disks after cleaning the eye, then either two things. The game is dirty, which you should always keep clean or the eye is out of adjustment.

If you are out of adjustment, then when you have the PS2 open for cleaning, open the tray door. At the back of the CD unit you will see a small white gear. If you turn this gear you can raise or lower the eye. Bring it closer click by click until you can read the disk. (Yes, you can hold the top of CD tray down and try and start the PS2.

MOFO
04-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Wow...

Thanks for that info... I'll have to keep this in mind if mine acts up. (Knocking on wood as I say this) I have been using my PS2 for a couple years (solid use) and I also use it for playing DVD's (about 8-10 a month). Have not had a single problem yet...

...I probably just screwed myself by saying that... :eek:

Lasher
04-03-2003, 05:01 PM
It is really a hit or miss thing. Some people have never had a problem, other have it all the time. I happen to live in a old house (150+ years) and have a ton of dust. So I clean mine first chance I see the games loading slow. Sure enough they speed right up again.

I have taken the PS2 completely apart, down to every connection. Once you get over the fear of breaking your PS2, it will only take 10 minutes.

UglyMotha™
04-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
I have taken the PS2 completely apart, down to every connection. Once you get over the fear of breaking your PS2, it will only take 10 minutes.

blah, i am so sick of seeing the inside of mine i put a chip in her and she works for a little while then starts acting goofy then i swap chips and now i'm looking for a different chip all together i'm so sick of this i haven't even played my ps2 in several months:(

YamaWarr0121
04-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Chef
I have had mine for a little over a year, and it wouldn't read the 8 Mile DVD. It also paused in the middle of GTA 3 last night and said there was an error reading the disc. :confused:

got the same thing on my GTA 3 chef...but im on my 2nd ps2 and this one runs great, my first one wasnt too wonderful, quit working after 2 weeks (this was their first batch n didnt come out exactly how they planned so i got a free replacement)

mine did read the 8 mile though, guess it liked eminem