PDA

View Full Version : Internet Poll

SGA
04-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Ok, heres the spill. The son wants DSL or a cable modem. We have 56k, and for my use, is ok. We are not poor by any means, and he has alot of things. I have also tried to raise him not to be spoiled, that if you really want something, you should work for it. He gets $10 a week allowance, feeding the dogs, helping with yard work, take out trash, etc. I told him if he gives up $20 a month in allowance, I would pay the rest ($30), for DSL or a cable modem, which is $50 a month. He opted to keep 56K and his cash. How many of you have 56K, DSL or a cable modem and pay for it yourself, or have others foot the bill?

04-02-2003, 04:27 PM
mom and dad pay 56k:macho

Woodsrider
04-02-2003, 04:35 PM
I pay for it( Iam the Dad). And I aint payin $49 a month for cable internet plus $40 for cable tv. And DSL isnt an option here:ermm: ( use the hi-speed at work for DL's):D

JOEX
04-02-2003, 05:14 PM
I pay 12.95 for 56k dialup:) Along with a mortgage and utilities.....
If the kid wants extra, let him pay for it;)
I didn't get paid for doing chores when I was a kid.
The short time that I got an "allowance":rolleyes: it was $3 a month!

Joe

Castor-426ex
04-02-2003, 05:25 PM
i got cable and i pay for it myself

my bill is a whopping 90 bucks cable included....i spoil myself :D

MILF_HUNTER
04-02-2003, 05:26 PM
urm i get shaw cable for free at my college. woot.

Zuki
04-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Well, DSL here at home and DSL at work, plus an AOHell account for when traveling. I only pay for my home DSL, but hell, i'm 29 and i should be right LoL. Anywho, get the lad bustin his arse a little extra and maybe only have him chip in $10 or so. Half the allowance is kinda steep. And I'm the farthest thing from someone who was spoiled. But as long as you raise him to no be spoiled and dont give in to every whim, I dont think its that's bad of an idea. And not only will he benefit but so will you. You will come to appreciate the "always on, fast connectivity". Good luck whatever you decide.

AndrewRRR
04-02-2003, 05:47 PM
I get dsl for $35 a month. You have to pay for 56K? Here it's free since it's a local number. You just have to pay for the service provider (AOL, etc). When I was living on campus it ruled. Free ethernet hooked to the school's T1. Download a 12mb file in 40 seconds on a slow day :)

Wheelie
04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I pay 19.95/mo. for 56k, thats for the provider, it's a local number. I plan on upgrading to DSL before the year is out......need a new computer first.

FourFiftyFour
04-02-2003, 06:56 PM
I get 56K for $5 a month.. unlimited min and 7 e-mail accounts....

QuadJunkies
04-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
i got cable and i pay for it myself

my bill is a whopping 90 bucks cable included....i spoil myself :D I pay the same as Castor does...And yes. I pay for it myself..

killed300ex
04-02-2003, 09:39 PM
well i quess im spoiled had 56k but then we finaaly convinced dad to buy cable for us. So now dad pays the whole bill.
killed

CBRSLIDER
04-02-2003, 10:08 PM
I have 56k or should I call it alleged 56k. And pay about $20.00 a month.

Ray

T1 at work:D

QuadTrix6
04-02-2003, 10:21 PM
i got cable for christmas and it was supposed to be a year and then i was gonna pay but i think they forgot the last part, cause they been paying for 3 years now :devil

Ben
04-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
I have 56k or should I call it alleged 56k.

LMAO!! :D :blah

I have cable and pay an outrageous price for it - about $45 a month plus my cable TV costs. But running this site (and all it entails) really requires me to have a fast connection. But I will say that after having cable internet at home I could probably never go back ;)

Ben

Leo
04-02-2003, 11:50 PM
stuck in the boonies 2 way sattellite was my only option.. works OK I guess (way better than dialup) but it isn't cheap..

still can't get the wife to spring for the bill either :D

Leo

Guy400
04-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Cable internet and cable TV on one bill for $63...

my wife pays;)

Ben
04-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Cable internet and cable TV on one bill for $63...

my wife pays;)

Shouldn't you be working now slacker!? :o

YLW400
04-03-2003, 01:20 AM
63.00!!!???? Thats cheap! I think the last bill I saw (I dont do bills, thats the wife) was 102.00 That was digital cable and a cable modem. :rolleyes:

TagRider
04-03-2003, 01:21 AM
56k modem that really only does about 33.1k on a good day. My fat, lazy wife won't get a job so it's all I can afford right now.

04-03-2003, 01:24 AM
I;m on a special deal and I get my digital cable (100+ channels), 2 phone lines, and cable modem all for around $130 a month...and it all works thru cable...if I loose cable connection i loose my phone, modem, and TV..:(

QuAdRaCeR244
04-03-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Ok, heres the spill. The son wants DSL or a cable modem. We have 56k, and for my use, is ok. We are not poor by any means, and he has alot of things. I have also tried to raise him not to be spoiled, that if you really want something, you should work for it. He gets $10 a week allowance, feeding the dogs, helping with yard work, take out trash, etc. I told him if he gives up $20 a month in allowance, I would pay the rest ($30), for DSL or a cable modem, which is $50 a month. He opted to keep 56K and his cash. How many of you have 56K, DSL or a cable modem and pay for it yourself, or have others foot the bill?

wow, that is my old allowance i used to get.....and for the same chores:eek2: lol. i have dsl and my parents pay for it

p@iNn3ck
04-03-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by TagRider
56k modem that really only does about 33.1k on a good day. My fat, lazy wife won't get a job so it's all I can afford right now.

I hear ya, only option we have is sat, but unlike Leo, I ain't springin for that. Dial up to my machine here at work at connection speeds of 21-28.8K......crappy old overhead telco lines.

You should definitely make him split the cost.... or charge him an hourly access fee.... say $5 an hour oughta recoup some of the cost.

QuadJunkies
04-03-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Ben
LMAO!! :D :blah

I have cable and pay an outrageous price for it - about $45 a month plus my cable TV costs. But running this site (and all it entails) really requires me to have a fast connection. But I will say that after having cable internet at home I could probably never go back ;)

Ben I agree, I think I got spoiled really fast on my cable modem, I dont think I would ever go back to dial up unless I had no other option...:)

nacs400ex
04-03-2003, 03:40 AM
My parents pay for the 56k, they said if I want anything else I can pay for it. I cant get cable or highspeed. The only thing I can get is satelite and that cost tooo much. O well, at least I can still chit chat on here.

Doibugu2
04-03-2003, 04:01 AM
When I lived with my parents, my neighbor had cable and I talked him into letting me dig a trench between the two houses and share the connection. We split the bill $20 a piece. He even paid for all the cable.

Since I moved out, I don't have a home phone so I don't have any connection at home. No cable or dsl available yet. And I'm not pay $20 a month for crappy 56k.

I just do as much as I can here at work, but I get blocked on a lot of sites. The rest I just wait to do when I go to my parents house and use theres.

Make him do some extra chores. And how old is he by the way? But if you deciede to give in, set it up where he gets like 5hrs free per week then anything over that he has to do some extra chores. I think most parents are too easy on there kids, that is why we have them going into schools shooting each other. But thats for another thread

SGA
04-03-2003, 07:37 AM
He is 13, but he looks 15 at least. He's a good kid, smart as a whip, great grades in school, tall, good looking, athletic. The phone rings off the hook with girls calling. Yeah, i'm bragging, but I got alotta gray hairs to get him to this point. :)
Actually, i just ran it by him about the $20 a month, to see what he would do. I have no problem paying the $50 a month, but I just dont see where its a need, its more like a want. He does his big downloads at his friends house, they have DSL.
Plus I just bought my wife a new screaming laptop, not to mention other big bills that have jumped up. Once I build up a nice reserve again, then maybe DSL will come to the house. We have everything we need, plus a lot more than we need.
I just dont see the point of spending all of your income just to keep up with the Jones.

Ralph
04-03-2003, 07:39 AM
OUR CABLE IS ONLY 30 BUCKS A MONTH, AND 15 FOR AOL...

Can I come spend a weeks vacation with you Howie???:tired:

Jellyrolls
SFG do you have 1 line for phone and one line for 56k?

SGA
04-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Can I come spend a weeks vacation with you Howie???:tired:
Sure, the doors open. You will have to put up with 80 degree weather, sandy beaches, girls in bikinis all over, BBQ's in the back yard, etc, etc...

Doibugu2
04-03-2003, 07:44 AM
SGA, if thats how you feel than stand by your Guns.

If he really needs it, he's got a buddy, school, or the libarary. Tell him you already support 2 of those. Use those resources.

QuadJunkies
04-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Sure, the doors open. You will have to put up with 80 degree weather, sandy beaches, girls in bikinis all over, BBQ's in the back yard, etc, etc... Boy....you have it rough........... Il be right over !!! I need to ride some new sand anyways...:D

Tommy 17
04-03-2003, 08:07 AM
i have 56k right now and my rents pay for it... if we want cable which should be in my area for the 1st time in a month or 2 my rents are makin me and my sister split the extra ontop of the 19.99 a month for the 56k... i think cable is 50$...

sportraxrider10
04-03-2003, 08:16 AM
my parents pay for cable, they use the computer almost as much as me too though.

AndrewRRR
04-03-2003, 08:19 AM
My parents live out in the boonies and all they can get is Satellite TV and internet. It's Starband, and I must say it SUCKS!!! It's supposedly fast, but it's so off-and-on and always having problems, so it ends up being slower than dialup most times. It's something like $60 a month (just for the internet part).

AZblaster44
04-03-2003, 12:58 PM
It's 40-50 for the cable int., and the digi cble dad pays for it but hes the one who wanted it the most (and my step mom wanted more movie channels)

Rip_Tear
04-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Only read the first page...

Mom pays for my 56gay... We would have DSL,Cable, what ever high speed internet, if it was avaible up here, in the middle of know where, just past a little place I like to call "DOWN TOWN CANADA" (my peronal joke). I hate 56k, its not alleged, its not 56 kilobytes, its kilobites (or the other way around) its still "gay" sorry for the use of the G word... but I know no other way of discribing it.

Ride400
04-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by SGA

dont be so cheap, go with cable or dsl.

SGA
04-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Ride400
dont be so cheap, go with cable or dsl.
Finally! Someone had to say it! :D

lex luger
04-04-2003, 02:39 AM
LAN w/o proxy

DESDAK4
04-04-2003, 02:56 AM
I pay for 30 a month for my DSL and soon will have it set up to run my computer, one for the kids and my PS2. I just enjoy having the speed and the kids get lucky I guess.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

04-05-2003, 08:25 AM
I am SGA's son.

Since when did i get 10 bucks a week? Pshh, i get 7 dollars, unless something changed i did not know about. I feel i need DSL because of the connection. I am apart of a message board and i have a few net compatable games. The games i do have lag like crazy if i try to play them on the net. This 56k is making me angry.

But yeah, just an extra thing i would like to have.

If my allowance does change then i would be happy to pay 20 dollars. But i havent gotten any word of that.

Krazy Kid
04-05-2003, 11:04 AM
im 14 and i wanted dsl but my dad wouldnt pay for it since he can barely use a comp....so i foot the whoe bill....i pay him he pays for it....i think its like 45 dollars :D :macho

Stevie-D
04-05-2003, 12:44 PM
man SGA, i LOVE Wren! i used to watch Wren and Stimpy every day until they took it off. lol:rolleyes: :p

SGA
04-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
man SGA, i LOVE Wren! i used to watch Wren and Stimpy every day until they took it off. lol:rolleyes: :p
Haha, great show! Ren Hoek is a asthma-hound chihuahua,
Stimpson J Cat is just plain brilliant and stupid.
My favorite episodes are Space Madness, Untamed kingdom and the fire fighter one. Save my baby! Save my horse! haha!
I really like the commercials, who can forget "LOG" and "Dont whiz on the electric fence":D

cudaman
04-07-2003, 11:15 AM
i have the best cable line that is offered which is 1.5 mbps download and 128 mbps upload(stupid company cut my upload from 386 to 128 GRRR!!) anyway its 65 bucks a month and i dont have cable tv. i can deal without it as long as i have internet. btw i pay half and my dad pays half.