PDA

View Full Version : axle question

john308
04-02-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm having trouble with the axle removal. I loosened the two lock nuts and was able to slide the c-clip off, but the two lock nuts and the lock bolt won't come off. The manual says that the two nuts and bolt should just slide off. They slide about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and then they stop. It feels like there might be a burr on the outer lock nut but I'm not sure. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-John

nojoke4stroke
04-02-2003, 04:53 PM
yea it should just come right off but those stock lock bolts suck.i just got done replacing my bearing carrier and that lock bolt assembly.i'd try turning the lock nut all the way on to the bolt so you can see the end of the bolt and inspect it for burrs.if nothing there try to thread the nut all the way off that way if there is something wrong with that nut hopefully you threading it off will take care of any imperfections and force it off.give it a try and see what happens.the nuts should thread off by hand...if they dont and turn very hard when using a big wrench you'll have to replace the whole assembly,expect to spend $43.its money well spent cuz they only get worse.

john308
04-02-2003, 05:17 PM
I tried turning the bolt all the way off, but it won't turn much past where the c-clip would go. I had my friend hold down the rear brake while I used a pipe wrench and cheater bar and loosened it as much as I could. It seems like it would only turn a few turns past where the c-clip groove is. I also tried puting a piece of metal between the bolt and the brake rotor and tightening the nut aginst the burr to force it past the burr and still nothing. I do have a meszaros lock nut to put back on though if I ever get this off.

nojoke4stroke
04-02-2003, 05:43 PM
well i guess your past the hard part,atleast you got the clip off,my threads were so bad i couldnt even do that.it took me a monkey wrench,a 4 foot bar and a friend on the brakes.if its catching right where the nut meets the circlip then the burr must be on the nut right where it meets the groove possibly even on your axle.but i think upon close inspection you would be able to see something wrong but if you cant try and thread it all the way on the nut so its not over hanging on the axle,if it wont go force it,you'll be forcing past the burr which is what you have to do then check for a burr or whats holding you up.i assume your taking this off so you can replace your bearings so dont worry about putting ridiculous pressure on them and your going to have to replace the locknut assembly anyway and there's nothing else that you will hurt during this process,give it all you got,it will come off.