PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Please Read!!

tippie60
04-02-2003, 12:28 PM
I just bought a 01 400ex about 1 month ago, used from the dealership,,everything ran fine...just mailed my first payment yesterday....today i ride it....its clanking when i move it...it does it even when pushing it forward and backward....friends told me it could be my bearings...so we proped it up and spun the axel and the whole thing seems lose...u can wobble the axel up and down....they are pretty sure its my bearings....being it was used and i looked at the contract i signed it says no warranty whatsoever so i think im pretty much F***ed. Im going to have to fix it but before i go ripping into it i want to know for sure what it is...any suggestions would help.....thanks

jerry-89-250R
04-02-2003, 12:35 PM
if u jacked it up and the axle moves up and down your bearings are history, they don't last forever

dj416
04-02-2003, 12:37 PM
yep, its your bearings. i just had to replace mine a couple weeks ago. if u get the bearings and seals from the dealership it will cost about 100 bucks so i would recomend getting a twin row billet carrier off ebay with bearings and seals installed for between 120-150

tippie60
04-02-2003, 01:03 PM
thanks for your quick response guys...i think im still going to call honda and ***** because its a 01 i wouldnt seem to think they should be going out so quickly....i was riding along the railroad tracks lately and that is pretty bumpy...think that may have contributed?? also im going to get the bearings and races probably from the dealership maybe aftermarket...are there any aftermarket bearings and races around ive never heard of any....thanks

tprender
04-02-2003, 01:11 PM
The bearing wer probality bad when you got the 400, but you were to check them. There are a high wear item just like the rear pads are. Let's just hope that you did not also mess up the axle. I would guess that the stock carrier is gone also, but sometimes it is better get a twin carrier for the cost and time to change them out.

tippie60
04-02-2003, 01:17 PM
i have a dura blue axel that came with the bike when i got it and i think those are lifetime guarentee...anyways i saw the billet carrier that came with the bearins and seals and everything for like 130 so i think im going to go that route...does honda put out a service manual for these...not real sure where to start in changing it...i have the rear break caliper off right now and thats pretty much it...dj did you do the work yourself?

toby400ex
04-02-2003, 01:58 PM
I dont know if honda puts out a manual, prolly do for some big $$, but a company named clymer sells them for like $30.
I suggest getting one before you tear into it.

nojoke4stroke
04-02-2003, 02:03 PM
ive replaced the bearings in my '02 (bought 2 weeks after they came out in 01) 3 times,i actually just replaced my whole carrier 2 weeks ago with a rad mfg. tapered carrier (lifetime warranty) for $230.you can replace the bearings yourself w/ease in under 2 or 3 hours depending on how difficult they come out and go in and for a price tag of around $40 or $45.you may have to do this again in a year or so but its to be expected,it all depends on the terrain you ride in and how aggressively you ride.if you just wanna replace the bearings reply to this and i'll walk you through it,its very easy after you do it once.dont purchase anything yet until you get it torn down and can inspect the carrier for damage,no need to replace the carrier yet unless you have to.if you want some help let me know.

nojoke4stroke
04-02-2003, 02:10 PM
ive replaced the bearings in my '02 (bought 2 weeks after they came out in 01) 3 times,i actually just replaced my whole carrier 2 weeks ago with a rad mfg. tapered carrier (lifetime warranty) for $230.you can replace the bearings yourself w/ease in under 2 or 3 hours depending on how difficult they come out and go in and for a price tag of around $40 or $45.you may have to do this again in a year or so but its to be expected,it all depends on the terrain you ride in and how aggressively you ride.if you just wanna replace the bearings reply to this and i'll walk you through it,its very easy after you do it once.dont purchase anything yet until you get it torn down and can inspect the carrier for damage,no need to replace the carrier yet unless you have to.if you want some help let me know.

quader400
04-02-2003, 02:12 PM
tippie60 you said that the durablue came with your bike. if you did not buy it you will not get the warrenty becuase it is only for the person who actually purchases it. :( so hopefully your axle is not messed up.

tippie60
04-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the help...nojoke i sent you a pm wondering if u had msn or yahoo messanger...also i was just reading about the durablue on their site....im thinking they are very good axels so im hoping no damage done to it....i proly wont be ordering the parts untill i get my tax money back which could be 3 weeks...but i want to get it tore down and ready to put the new ones in and stuff....thanks for all the help....