PDA

View Full Version : Ok Dumb ? about Propegs (installation)

generalg
12-17-2001, 09:32 PM
Just recieved my propegs from Marcum's, can't complain except for the usuall NO INSTRUCTIONS as I have read in other posts. My question: When installing the nerfs, do I drill a hole through the alluminum peg down through the bracket that the peg slips over? Do I also drill holes into the side of the peg for the heal guard support?

Thanks

400MXer
12-17-2001, 09:37 PM
YOu shouldn't have to drill anything.

SGA
12-17-2001, 11:49 PM
you probably saw my post about drilling & putting some screws to attach the nerfs to the mounting posts. i used 3/4'' long self drilling screws, found out it makes them more secure. heres a pic.
Someones gonna tell me i got my mounts backwards, but i wanted them lower, i got long legs. i didn't like them at all with the mount w/spacer on the brake side, peg side up, but doing it my way i had to drill a hole in the motor mount to attach the front.

hippy440
12-17-2001, 11:55 PM
i drilled mine too,i just used the 2 long bolts and nuts that were left over.

Pepto_Bismol
12-18-2001, 08:02 AM
I actually have a set of (albeight copied) instructions, and according to them, you DO have to drill to install the heal guards, and something else too. If I can actually find drivers for my USB scanner for windows XP, I'll upload them soon. So far though Epson has not released any :mad: . Pep.:cool:

Pepto_Bismol
12-18-2001, 08:04 AM
In case your wondering, I just got mine from moto-joe's yesterday delivered by UPS, so I have'nt intstalled them yet.

12-18-2001, 12:54 PM
Hey sgaexer did you know your pegs are upside down??;)

I didn't fasten mine at all on the pegs but when I get my new pegs in I think I'm gonna do that,,cuz one side always slipped out about a 1/2 inch..

generalg
12-18-2001, 06:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I would really like to see the instructions that you have Pepto_Bismol. I really think that they should be secured to the peg mounts in some way.

12-19-2001, 10:47 AM
If ya don't secure them they won't fall off or anything,,just make sure when ya mount them up,,you put them in a bind to make them hold tighter..

knighttime
12-19-2001, 12:32 PM
Yeah I can c that screws though the aluminum nerf through the steel peg is the way to go. I'll most likely do this soon. I used a big rubber mallet to pound the nerf to the peg. Also the aluminum guards must me mounted with bolts onto the nerf. It's tough to do cause u gotta drill, mark, and drill again. You'll c what I mean when u install them.

Pepto_Bismol
12-20-2001, 08:33 AM
Well, I cant find drivers for my scanner yet, so I'll just explain it, it's not too hard. The three places you need to drill per the instructions are as follows: 1) Heal guard need two holes through the small, flat part of heal gaurd to the rear of the footpeg. They should provide you with 2 6x20mm screws, washers, and nylon locknuts for this. 2) The Third place is to drill a single hole in the middle of the footpeg, through the steal footpeg mount, and out the other side. Use the 8x55 mm bolts (or 8x50 mm, I can't remember exactly which), washers, and nylon locknut. (one per side). These are the three places to drill as per the intructions.
One more note, the 1" spacer is for the motor mount, and the 3/4" spacer is supposed to be for attaching the footguard to the round part of the nerf, using the 8x35mm bolt setup. Hope this helps...The only thing I'm not sure of is the torque specs on the bolts to the motor mount and chasis.
Pep.

buckeye400ex
12-27-2001, 08:21 PM
Pepto, SWEET, I know exactly what I need to do now. Some drilling and I'm done. Thanks. Glad I found this thread.

generalg
12-27-2001, 08:59 PM
Ya thanks.. I did go ahead and drill a 5/16" hole on both pegs. The ProPegs are rock solid now!

trx400ex
12-28-2001, 11:37 AM
THOSE BLACK THINGS YOU BOLT UP WHERE THE OLD FOOTPEG USED TO BE,,,,,ARE THEY NEW? DO THEY COME WITH THE PROPEGS?

I JUST BOUGHT A SET FROM ATV ADDICTION, AND THEY DONT HAVE THE STEEL MOUNT THEY SAY TO USE THE STOCK BOLTS ON AND THEN SLIP THE PEGS OVER,,,,

I AM :grr

trx400ex
12-28-2001, 11:40 AM
please help,,, thanks

trx400ex
12-28-2001, 12:05 PM
i emailed atv addiction, they better take care of it fast

Pepto_Bismol
12-28-2001, 08:15 PM
Yah, the steel pegs do come with it, and they mount up to where the original foot peg used to be. Use the original mounting screws (hexhead) that come on the bike to mount the new steel pegs. Then the aluminum pegs slide onto the steel mounts, then drill as I explained earlier. By the way, I torqued those hexhead bolts to about 47 ft-lbs. I measured the torque B4 I took them off.
Hope this helps...
Pep. :cool: