PDA

View Full Version : what to do with serial number when repainting frame????

fourtrax400ex
04-02-2003, 07:58 AM
i want to paint or powdercoat my frame, but what do you do guys with your serial number?? is it possible to have a new stickers of serial number(the one that is in the front of frame) to replace the old?? or maybe someone can redo it on the frame???

Pvt. Maggot
04-02-2003, 08:14 AM
i guess when they cover it in tape or something?...thats what i would do...

ralph2
04-02-2003, 12:50 PM
nope, mines gone,, u dunno what i would do if i was forced to prove it was my bike,, i guess there must be another one somewhere:rolleyes:

Pappy
04-02-2003, 12:52 PM
the seriel number is on the top bracket where your bumper mounts. its usually still readable after powdercoating...unless its a 3 or 4 layer powder.

fourtrax400ex
04-02-2003, 01:17 PM
humm, ok sound that there no magic solution, doesnt matters, cops never been able to catch me anyway!!!:rolleyes:

muff
04-02-2003, 02:33 PM
I took some pics of mine, and of the stickers that were on my frame

i just got my frame back today and its barely readable from powdercoating, paint is thinner so you wont need to worry as much

04-02-2003, 03:20 PM
if your powdercoating it ..& you are really coencerned with being able read it clearly afterwards ..there is tape available that will w/stand heat to cover it & you will be able to remove the tape afterwards ..this tape is made specifically for doing things like this
it can used to mask off cetains areas where you dont want the powder
we have used it to do axles ...

Sparks425Ex
04-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Rip it off and throw it away... That is what I did....

AndrewRRR
04-02-2003, 05:42 PM
When my R frame was powdercoated the rear serial number (etched on a tab on the subframe) went bye-bye, so did the sticker in the front. Oh well. I guess I could remove the PC on that section.... of course it's not too hard to spot my frame now :)

phatswinn
04-03-2003, 11:52 AM
take a pencil and paper and draw lightly over the number on the frame(paper over it ofcourse), then take a picture showing they match and powder over it, the powder will scratch off if you need it to and u can see the number if ya need it, thats what i did. do that on your motor too, i did them both in my owners manual and the manual is in my fireproof safe, with a couple pics of the whole quad and copys of the regestration and insurance card, sounds gay but better safe than sorry:D :eek2:

Rip_Tear
04-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Pappy could answer this one, if he could just clear coat where the serial is, so you could still see it ?

Pappy
04-03-2003, 12:59 PM
well, if you used the high temp tape and cut it so its not to noticable( like just enough to cover the serial #) you could add some clear touch up over it when the pc was done with....or yes...remove the tape before the clear was put on. the easiest place on the 400 to do that would be the # on the lower frame rail...it would look kinda hob nobish if ya had a big tape out spot:confused2

not all pc shops will do a clear coat...either way it could be cleared so as not to rust. just use some touch up clear and a lil brush.

04-03-2003, 01:42 PM
well if worst comes to worst, and u get in trouble and the cops wants to see the serial number on the frame, just take a car to your bike and scrape away

fourtrax400ex
04-04-2003, 12:23 AM
thanks a lot for your advice, i think i will take some picture of it and try to cover it with some tape, it seem to be the safe way!