PDA

View Full Version : Best MX 4-Stroke for $5,000?

MX26
04-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Hey guys. I just sold my 89 R and am having a hard time deciding where I want to go from here. I start college in 4 months and should probably keep the money and invest it in that, but I am having other thoughts. Option A: New Truck. Option B: 4 stroke quad

My 93 Nissan is still in good shape with almost 110K miles, but I would really like to get a new truck. I'm not positive on what would I would get.. But I saw an 01 Dodge 1500 5.9L in the paper today with 33K miles for $14K I think. Power everything.. Exactly what I wanted. I figure that if I put the $5K from my R towards it, sold my truck ($3,000) and scrape together everything from all of my dwindling savings accounts, I'd have almost $10,000. I really don't want to finance $3K going into college, but I am still undecided. I work at an auto parts remanufacturing plant for $6.50 an hour and usually rack up about 20 hours a week. During the summer I'll be working full time, so that's a $500 paycheck. That seems like it would be easy to repay a short-term loan from the bank, but I have to start saving for college.... Dang, Growing up SUCKS!!!!!

The other option... And the main point of my post.... The other thing I would like is to get back into MX racing. I haven't raced in almost 1 full year due to injuries and money problems so the desire to race has dulled a little, but its still a rush. What I'd like to know is..... Just like the title says: Which quad for $5,000 is the best for MX?

$5K would get a fairly modded EX, and would also get me the keys for a brand new KFX400. I know this is a 400EX board but I want some unbiased opinions on the other high-performance sport quads out there. I would trailride maybe 10 weekends out of a year, and MX probably about 30. I want something with a good record of reliability, but I'd also like something that was 1/2 way competitive when I brought it home. My friend has a 440EX that feels totally foreign to me. I guess coming straight off my 250R and getting on it was a drastic change, but I was soo much faster on my 250.

I'd like a few opinions from the people that have seat time on the new 4 strokes out there. I don't mean to start a flame war, but I have heard that the Z and KFX 400 are better on the track than the EX. Thanks in advance for the replies.

David

lex luger
04-01-2003, 12:58 PM
*looking at your sig.* you sell all the good stuff huh?!?!

Chanman420q
04-01-2003, 02:08 PM
get a cannondale

ridered86
04-01-2003, 02:25 PM
may be a little more but i would wait on yamaha to see what they come up with

batgeek
04-01-2003, 02:27 PM
yep c-dales are going for under 5k now :D

get a c-dale.

bradley300
04-01-2003, 04:39 PM
i agree, get a dale, parts arent as hard to find as dealers say, just kinda a hassle for them so they just say they cant them. i'm sure thequadshop would help you out in finding parts though.

hollywood43
04-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Dude, having been through college with a pickup I can say that they are excellent to have during school. Especially if you're living on campus. Now I have an '01 Ram with the 5.9 L and I get horrible mileage. I mean 13 mpg is doing really good for me. Just keep in mind how much of a gas guzzler these things are before you get the full size with the 5.9. I know when I was in college I worked full time and went to school full time and money was still tight. Just some advice to save you a possible headache later.

oynot400
04-02-2003, 03:14 AM
I graduated from ISU a couple of years ago. My serior year I orded a new 99 Silverado. Granted I had a good job but making payments on a new truck while in school sucked big time. :(
I don't want to tell you what to do but I would hold off on a new truck, get back into the quads. Granted they can be pretty expensive too. :eek:
I keep seeing c-dales go for 4-6K, not bad for a new quad. I don't know what Cannondale has figured out yet what is going to happen. ( I hope they make a come back :) ) It is a little more money they you want to spend but I would work something out on my stroker if that is something that you would want. :D

rookiex
04-02-2003, 05:32 AM
Count on seein Cdale come back with in the next year...There are still a TON of unsold dales...And there are few of us compared too you EX riders now...So we are going to use little parts...Plus they have not shut down the factory it's still making the quads and parts...untill peg. shuts it down an or selling them ( i hope)...But really the guy at the dealership says they have a ''surplus'' of cdale goods so many that few people are buying them an the dealer is kinda outta luck....I wish some one would just buy all the remaining parts and goods get a machine shop an figure out how to make heads pistons frames all the stuff, And have all the stock parts...so we could just call up an be like HEY we need this an that part an they can ship it too us!...

Cdale !!!! I think they are going to 1. sell off all the machines that make the dales..Or sell the factory as a whole in a second auction.

I think when they come back alot of people are going to be upset about not getting one

But hey if they don't ya dodged a bullet an I got shot ! but I don't care still a sweet ride.

MX26
04-02-2003, 11:35 AM
I said many time son ATVConnection that a Cannondale would be my next quad but I'm very skittish on buying one at this point in time. Yeah, they are cheap... MxDale71 lives 10 minutes from me and has a superclean 02 Cannibal for $4500, but I don't want to step into something that everyone else is stepping out of. Catch that? I hope just as much as the next guy that they make a HUGE comeback and do very well, but at this point in my life (18), I don't want to spend $5K on a risk. Another reason I am looking a different direction is because the closest "dealer" is about 4 hours away.

oynot400, I definately see what you mean. I was looking for a V6 actually, but I'd probably take a smaller V8. My friend has an 00 Dodge with a 318 in it, and I love that motor. The 5.9L would be a little too much for driving almost 80 miles a day for college. Also, since I wouldn't have a quad, I wouldn't need a big motor. A 4 Cylinder like I have would probably suit me best, but I'm tired of having a slouch!

lex luger - Yeah I guess that's about right:D Some call it stupidity.. I call it experience. lol

04-02-2003, 12:47 PM
CANNONDALE:blah

MX26
04-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Bump.

Bean
04-03-2003, 02:04 PM
i wish i had a 4popper sometimes, i drive a 5.7 now, and i only work 2 hrs a day cause the shop closes at 6, and now weekends cause they aint open, and i got school and stuff, so let me tell you, i am a conservative driver

MX26
04-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Bean
i wish i had a 4popper sometimes, i drive a 5.7 now, and i only work 2 hrs a day cause the shop closes at 6, and now weekends cause they aint open, and i got school and stuff, so let me tell you, i am a conservative driver

Yeah.. I hate the internet. The more I sit here and look at pics of forum's bad@ss 426, the more I want to buy another quad and just mod the beejeezus out of it. But.. I guess I've got alot of thinking to do.

400EX, KFX400, Z400, Raptor(eh.. no), Cannondale?

Fred55
04-03-2003, 03:48 PM
Predator!:muscle:

James70214
04-07-2003, 11:26 AM
You can get a new 2003 cannondale for 4400.

Paul400ex2002
04-09-2003, 12:51 PM
:eek2: where?????:eek2:

James70214
04-09-2003, 02:19 PM
From ME
Actually it has 1 hour of break in time on it so it is not Brand New, but it is as close as you can get. Not a scratch on it. MINT
Let me know

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-09-2003, 05:06 PM
I'd honestly pick up a used EX...I know you can find one for under $5k...then spend a couple hundred to set it up the way you want, and be on your way :macho

WalshKFX
04-23-2003, 01:56 PM
get a kfx400

Quad18star
05-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Keep your 5 Gs and wait another 2 months MAX and see what Yamaha has in store . You're gunna be VERY surprised . I heard/read this from a dealer Memo , and a very credible source from this site which I cannot name has informed me about it also . I'm holding off and buying the new 4 stroke . :D

CHAUNCY
05-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Keep your 5 Gs and wait another 2 months MAX and see what Yamaha has in store . You're gunna be VERY surprised . I heard/read this from a dealer Memo , and a very credible source from this site which I cannot name has informed me about it also . I'm holding off and buying the new 4 stroke . :D

Yamaha's new quad should be sikk. I would wait for it too!