PDA

View Full Version : Elka recomendations

Martin Blair
04-01-2003, 12:01 PM
I sent elka a price quote form and they rercomended 1700 dollars worth of shocks, looks like new extended a arms for a while. Im going to grab shcoks first but i still need 600 more.

Heres what they recomended i told them i do a little bit of everything but manly woods. XC type terrain.

Front:
Compression adjustable triple rate with anti-sag device and remote or piggy back resevors, $895.

Rear:
Compression and rebound dual rate with anti-sag decive with remote rezzy, $775.

Is there any price difference between remot rezzys or piggy backs? I would prefer the piggybacks because they look better and theres no worring about mounting them.

canadian400ex
04-01-2003, 12:03 PM
No price difference between remotes and piggy-backs.:cool:

forum
04-01-2003, 12:09 PM
what the he|| is anti-sag? are you sure its not SSD?

Dave400ex
04-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah I'm sure he means SSD. I will be racing XC this summer and I have the same fronts they listed, but got the rear rebuild instead and so far so good. If you are going to race XC you really don't need a-arms unless you go to LT...

Tommy 17
04-01-2003, 01:14 PM
i have the same fronts and love them... for the rear i'm just goin to get a rebuild on it next winter...

you can probably get from shocks for around 830$ to 850$ for the fronts if u go to the quadshop or c&d...

Martin Blair
04-01-2003, 01:18 PM
yeah i was going to get a rebuild but then your still stuck with the stock shaft and the elkas give a bit more travel. Buy anti sag i mean SSD but elkas email said anti-sag so thats what i thought it was referred to on elkas.

Dave400ex
04-01-2003, 03:10 PM
If you have the money for the full new Elka rear, buy it. I got the rebuild because money was limited, and I don't think I will be racing hard enough to need the new rear, but it would be nice to have...

Martin Blair
04-01-2003, 04:23 PM
should i just keep stock a arms? since im going xc or should i go with some plus 2s or the houser lt plus 1s that use stock shocks?

Dave400ex
04-01-2003, 04:37 PM
You do not want +2's for in the Woods. I suggest keeping the Stock, or you could get those 16" LT arms Houser offers...

bradley300
04-01-2003, 04:46 PM
sounds like you need the houser +1/+1 LT set up w/ 4+1 wheels

04-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Wow those are some heavy prices they quoted you.

You could easily trim a lot of the fat by sending that form to the site sponser, and I know they will be lower than that.

And by my thinking self sagging device and anti sag sound like two very different things so make sure you clarify what your getting.

QuadTrix6
04-02-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
If you have the money for the full new Elka rear, buy it. I got the rebuild because money was limited, and I don't think I will be racing hard enough to need the new rear, but it would be nice to have...

:confused: im not sure about elka but with a PEP rear rebuild there is NO performance differece, the only difference is that with a completly new shock every single little part is replacable whereas a rebuild on some parts can be replaced

Dave400ex
04-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Well I know quite a few guys on here had the rebuild, then got the new rear and said there was a big difference. I know Nausty had the rebuild then got the new rear and likes it much better...

Nausty
04-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Well I know quite a few guys on here had the rebuild, then got the new rear and said there was a big difference. I know Nausty had the rebuild then got the new rear and likes it much better...

Lol, yeah he's right. I had my stock rear shock sent it to be revalved and I blew the seal twice and pry bent the shaft riding and racing waiting for new seals. But yeah stock rear rebuild has no compression adjustment at least nothing compared to my elka aftermarket. Also The stock rear rebuild could no where compare to the performace of the aftermarket. The rear was always to stiff for the ruts and to soft for the big hits.

I think by anti sag he meant just going with duel rate instead of the ssd.

j37
04-03-2003, 07:36 AM
I would prefer the piggybacks because they look better and theres no worring about mounting them.

If I was you i'd go with the remote resevoirs. Somebody where I race had a rock get kicked up and break his adjuster knob off his Elka piggyback shock resevoir. If your racing in the woods and a stick or something hit the adjuster you never know what could happen. But thats just what I heard. Nothing may happen if a rock gets kicked up and hits the adjuster knob. Im just saying its up to you and what you get this is just something bad that I heard happened to someones shock.

Martin Blair
04-04-2003, 02:38 AM
i think im keeping stock arms for a while, about the anti sag there triple rate shocks i will have to clarify that.

maybe i will think about remotes, maybe hid them underneeth the body a little to protect them, i never heard of that hapenning but i guess its possible.

Dave400ex
04-04-2003, 03:26 AM
The remotes are ok, but when you go to get a Stabilizer and stuff like that you run out of room real quick... Here's how I mounted mine...

cdalejef
04-04-2003, 03:37 AM
You are way more likley to have a hose get ripped off than a rezzy brake off. I have seen many hoses get pulled out over the years but never seen a piggyback brake. I can see a knob getting hit by a rock but that can happen to a remote too. Knobs are only $3 to replace.

Martin Blair
04-04-2003, 05:07 PM
yeah i think i will get the piggybacks and not the rezzys i wil just replace anythign if it gets broke. i will get a dampener so i need to save some room

04-06-2003, 03:02 PM
I think you will be happy with your decision