PDA

View Full Version : another a-arm question

zephead400ex
04-01-2003, 10:29 AM
If a person was to get like +2+1 a-arms would the length of the shock make a difference? Or are the shock valves adjusted to compensate for the +" on the arms?

I know a guy who is fabricating some a-arms, he is going to have Fox custom build shocks b/c he is real good friends with the main dude at Fox. He said that the shocks would probably be the same length just valved different for +" arms over stock arms.

Is this true? Any input would be appreciated!

peace

zephead400ex
04-01-2003, 12:14 PM
does anyone understand what I am asking...?

QuadTrix6
04-01-2003, 01:12 PM
you will definately need to change the valving for the added width but i also think u need to change it for the forward movement

zephead400ex
04-01-2003, 04:32 PM
So what you are saying is...I dont need to get long travel shocks, the "stock" length will work, just needs to be revalved?!

boogiechile
04-02-2003, 03:38 AM
reg + 2 arms are built with the shock mount in the stock location on the arms with relation to the frame. That means that stock length shocks can be used. It also means that the motion ratio(leverage) is increased. This requires a stronger shock to handle the same weight rider. Your freind is saying he will have fox set up the shocks for the extra leverage of the extended arms.

The + 1 forward has little or no effect on shocks. Technically if you move the wheels +1 forward you shift weight to the rear making the frt lighter which in theory would require a lighter shock. But it is so minimal that it has no noticable effect. Plus if you have a +1.5 swing arm you have countered the +1 a arms anyway.

Bottom line to answer your question is that what he said about same length shocks just valved different is true, although for a heavy rider it will probably take stronger springs as well, not just a valving change.

QuadTrix6
04-02-2003, 03:40 AM
yes just cause you are going plus one it doesn't mean you need a longer shock the shock bracket is still in the same place the actaul a arms is just a bit wider , whatever shock company you go through will ask you a series of questions about your riding abilitly, the kind of riding you do and the setup that you are running. if you plan on getting a arms in the near future than make sure that they are setup for those a arms and for the time being run the shocks with stock a arms they will be a little stiff but better than sending them back out to be revalved again.

zephead400ex
04-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the reply guys, makes great sense! I am going to try, pocketbook allowing, to get the arms and shocks by summer!! God this is going to be good....:blah

04-02-2003, 08:24 PM
To echo the statement above, you can use stock length shocks, which are 16 1/4". There are longer shocks out there too. Just be sure the arms your friend is fabricating have the mounting tabs the same distance and angle of stock, that should take care of things. I have TBR +3+1 a arms and TCS shocks which are stock length, but they also sell a arms that accept 17 1/4" shocks as well. Just know this the +1 foreward will put more weight over the rear wheels and add traction and make wheeling marginally harder. The +2 wider will cause more push in turns if you don't get a wider axle so turning will require a little more body english. Good luck!

zephead400ex
04-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Awsome! Thanks for the reply mrbluehair (not balls, right?)lol! Seriously though, the replies are exactly what I was looking for!