PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Predator

VegasEx'r
03-31-2003, 06:16 PM
Well I went last week & bought a Predator. After riding it for a couple of hours, I must say I am impressed. For a stock quad, this thing has a ton of power. The suspension & handling is incredible, although it seems a little loose through the middle of corners (to borrow a NASCAR term). I don't know if it is because the tires don't hook up, or if I need to "re-learn" how to work the throttle & clutch going through them. Could be the rear suspension needs some tuning (I haven't touched that yet). It doesn't seem to have any (or much) bottom end. Kind of like a Banshee, it wants/needs to stay high in the RPM range & go. Some people had said they had problems shifting, especially powershifting. I have found the clutch to be incredibly smooth. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe I am just a good rider (I'm sure it's the latter :devil ). The shifter is a little higher than normal. I lowered it as far as it can go, but to put it where it would be on other quads, it would hit the frame when you downshift (& wouldn't downshift). But I think I have gotten used to that now, so it is no big deal.
Overall I am very happy w/ the purchase, now the aftermarket just needs to get in high gear & start making parts for it.

RuffRyder400ex
03-31-2003, 11:24 PM
Sounds cool. How do u like it compared to your 416ex?

QuadJunkies
04-01-2003, 02:19 AM
Congradulations.. Hope you love your as much as we have ours..:D This quad likes to be revved for sure, but turning should be be incredable and in tight cornering ..its a bit different than the EX for sure, but it shouldnt take too long to get used to feel, It Def needs a wake up call for some torque in 1st gear,but the mid range is AWESOME!! anytime now I know of three good name pipes coming avail. Im waiting , I have not heard too many that have been happy with there WB pipes and I cant wait for more nerfs to become avail.( Troy has already ran his foot over twice,he is used to having the nerfs on the 400):eek: Its def not lacking power.Vegas, on thing to pay close attn. to is your master cylinder, its becoming an issue for poeple and even ours is getting replaced and tested to see if its a defect so that polaris can get it right, if your brake pads rub, and you dont have free wheel spin when you try to turn tires , they need some minor adj. I found a few good info sites on the predator if you are interested..All in all, I think this machine will be one great ride... Tina :)

exriderdude
04-01-2003, 06:03 AM
yea vegas you are just a good rider.... there were people riding one at my local dealer and they had trouble shifting and were nailing the rev limiter, but when i got on it i had no problems:ermm: and yes it does get loose in corners, i think its cuz of the rear suspension and you have to learn to ride it right;)

it does need something to help it out in the bottom end, that really disapointed me, but it really pulls ya in the mid though:cool:

04-01-2003, 06:19 AM
From what I can figure the problem with the rear sliding out has as much to do with the front set up as the rear.

What I am thinking is that since the front seems to work very well from the pro tie rod set up etc it only helps the rear break loose cause the front isnt "pushing" and the quad stays flatter than most.

I have not rode one yet (I will be in your hood in a week vegasEX'r hint hint) but from what I have seen of the few that were running at a small mx type track out here they seem to track very straight and flat and even the lower style set up on the suspension will add to slidding the rear out.

I know tires will make a difference but once the machine is flatter its gonna be less prone to two wheel and that energy has to go somewhere.

Now that bottom end power problem , hmmmm guess your gonna have to rip into the engine for that one :)