PDA

View Full Version : whats all involved with stroking?

Juggalo
03-31-2003, 03:20 PM
first of all i wanna ask that this is serious and no making fun of the title (cuz i know its just asking for masturbation jokes). now thats out of the way i was wondering if you guys could fill me in a lil bit. i know stroking makes the piston travel farther down in the cylinder making more cc's but what exactly is done to the motor to ahcieve that? the reason i'm asking is i am getting a 416 big bore and then eventually stroking the motor to 440cc.

Chef
03-31-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
first of all i wanna ask that this is serious and no making fun of the title (cuz i know its just asking for masturbation jokes). now thats out of the way i was wondering if you guys could fill me in a lil bit. .

LMAO! That is really hard to resist juggs...

But, as far as my understanding goes, when you stroke the crank, you actually kind of move the hole that the bottom rod pin bearing thing sits in over, towards the out of the tank more. You do this by kind of filling in one side of the hole, and then machining out the other side. Understand what I mean?

Glamis400ex
03-31-2003, 03:23 PM
oh dear lord....where's Jabber...:eek: You just tee'd this one up for him...sorry, couldn't resist

Glamis

400grl
03-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Oh...Juggalo - you totally ruined it for me...I was all ready and had my fingers on the keys and I read your post.....darnit! LOL!:D Now...what was the question? J/k!

Dune Surfer
03-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Boy a post like that is asking for it:devil Stroking it is.....no I just can't do it:D

Big - D Racing
03-31-2003, 06:05 PM
chef had it right it relocates the pin hole lower on your crank and allows for more piston travel. Make sure if you do it, you get an aftermarket rod, because the stock one can't handle all the power and will break and ruin your whole engine.

Juggalo
03-31-2003, 06:14 PM
thanks a lot for the info. and also thanks for the tip. i'd really like to get a carillo rod but i doubt i'll be able to afford it. i think wiseco makes the hot rod do you think that one will be ok? what other companies out there make connecting rods?

Big - D Racing
03-31-2003, 06:15 PM
check out sparks, fst, and powrol.

K_Fulk
04-01-2003, 02:07 AM
You could also go with a longer rod, but moving the crank pin is the most common way for the 400ex.

F-16Guy
04-01-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
i'd really like to get a carillo rod but i doubt i'll be able to afford it.

I talked to a guy at Carrillo a while back, and he told me the price was $175 direct from them. That's not exactly cheap, but it's only a little more than IMS and others. Pretty much everyone will tell you that Carrillo is the way to go if you can swing it.

A hu-hu-hu.... he said stroke.... A hu-hu-hu-hu. :p

Juggalo
04-01-2003, 09:47 AM
175 huh? thats not as bad as i thought it would be. maybe i will go with them. don't they also have a titanium rod?

mikeboone
04-01-2003, 09:56 AM
I have a Carrillo enroute right now. They are currently sold out for next 6-7 weeks per Scott Greatrake who also quoted $175 plus S&H. You can get one through Crankworks or Sparks racing; both of whom buy from Carrillo. Crankworks-(480) 897-1746 Sparks racing--(661) 872-4343 You will need new rod bearings--Crankworks is sold out and awaiting word from Sparks on those. They are NOT avail at Honda dealer--they only sell the complete crank with stock rod. Carrillo uses stock size bearings.

mikeboone
04-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Just spoke with Scott at Sparks. The rod bearings are $48 plus S&H.

wilkin250r
04-01-2003, 01:28 PM
When you stroke your crank, you actually end up getting a shorter rod. If the rod was the same length, the increased travel would DRAMTICALLY increase compression, possibly even contact the valves and cylinder head. A 4mm stroker crank usually has a connecting rod that is 4mm shorter. All told, compression usually increases by about 0.5

Also, KY jelly helps to keep the friction down :D

Juggalo
04-01-2003, 03:06 PM
haha thanks for the ky tip,
anyways so if i stroke am i gonna wanna get a higher compression piston than normal? or will my compression stay the same?