PDA

View Full Version : Hatfield McCoy

02Yellow400
03-31-2003, 03:12 PM
I leave for hatifeld next wed night. Anyone in here have anhy ideas of what i should bring? I need to get a list together so i dont forget things. Sucks that i cant go with all the exriders but work schedules would not allow that. Thanks for the help

Taco
04-01-2003, 12:58 AM
are you camping or what?

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 01:12 AM
Yeah i will be camping for 4 days.

Taco
04-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Besides the obvious things I would bring Beer, Water Hose, Beer, Lantern, a small grill to cook on, Beer, Sandals to take your shower in, Coolers, Beer, and thats all i can think of now. There is a Walmart fairly close by if you need to pick any odds and ends up.

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 01:26 AM
LOL thanks.. I will definatly be bring lots of beer. What trails should i ride? The people i am going with have never been there and neither have I. So it would be nice to know which trails are the best. And also how do you know where and where you can not ride you quads in the towns?

Taco
04-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Bearwallow is pretty fun but a lil rocky. Rockhouse by far my favorite. It has pretty much everything from Rocky sections, hills, and some balls to the wall trails plus you can ride into Gilbert and grab some grub gas up and head back towards the trailhead. The Waterways trailhead is also a nice set of trails but more tame but still pretty fast. You will see this trailhead on your way down Rt.119. And the last trailhead is Rev. Compton it allows to ride the trail to Matewan and get some food and gas but to me it wasnt near as good as the others. For any other Info go to www.trailsheaven.com and you can print off trailmaps and everything.

04-01-2003, 03:50 AM
make sure to watch the signs colors change...i can't remember what color goes with what..but there are easy trails and there are,,Send yo arse to the ER,,, trails....Rockhouse is the best and bearwaller ain't too bad...make sure to take several maps with you when you do go riding..that is a must. Fill up your gas tanks to the top....plenty of beer, and all the camping gear you can bring..

Doibugu2
04-01-2003, 04:30 AM
If memory serves

Green trails are easiest
Blue = medium difficulty (some of these are pretty hard)
Black = ER (if you are on a 2x, make sure you know what your getting into if you go on these trails)

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks alot. Is there any open pits or anything to mess around in or any jumps? We are staying at chief logan and i think that is between rockhouse and Bear wallow. It should be a good time

Doibugu2
04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
No real pits. There is one section on bear wallow that has hill climbs. Its a big coal hill.

Not hardly any jumps. You will get a little air on some of the trails just from the speed your going at.

If you have never been there before, I highly suggust you ride as many of the trails once at in easy pace. Then go back and pick up your speed. Its very easy to go off the sides if you don't know whats around the corner and there are some nasty bumps if your going fast.

I almost went off the edge because I was getting tired and got lazy. Luckily I hit a stump and it bounced me back on the trail. Bent an a arm though.

Wait type of rider are you?

And bring some asprin, your going to be sore all week.

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 10:34 AM
What kind of rider am I? HMM pretty agressive but i like to mess around alot. As long as the trails are alot of fun I should be happy with this trip. I will be on my quad for 4 days so theres no way i can be bad.

And yeah im gonna have to make sure i dont go off any cliffs. Ive already done that once here in pa. Its was like a 25 footer.. Not fun..

Doibugu2
04-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Well you'll have fun. We went for the first time last year in Sept. We rode bear wallow for the first 4 days. and 1 day at rockhouse. There is plenty to do for that amount of time.

Realize you are in the mountains, not big ones, but the average drop is alot more than 25 feet.:eek2:

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Yeah i have been to WV before i know what its like. I ride up the poconos in PA alot also. So I know how big the drops can be. How long are the trails? I really have no idea what to expect. Where does the trail end? Back at the trail head? Or do i have to figure out how to get back to where i started.

Doibugu2
04-01-2003, 10:57 AM
I don't know how many miles it is but I think they are over 300.

Each trail kind of leads back to the trail head. I only rode rockhouse and bear wallow and there is one main loop then there are a bunch of side trails.

go to www.trailsheavens.com they have maps there. Make sure you bring money with when you ride because at rockhouse its a good idea to fill up at the gas station and get something to eat. Bear wallow is a lot slower more techincial so I don't think you will run out of gas.

FYI, beer down there was like $16+ per case. Thats like $4 more then by us, so if you drink its a good idea to bring as much as you can.

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Good call. We are renting a uhual so we should be able to bring tons of beer. And again how do i know where i can and cant ride on the roads? Are there signs that will let me know?

04-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Going off a hill in HM could be over 300+ feet down....mistakes could be a bad thing. Gilbert is the only town you can ride thru..and it's off of rockhouse...if you have a map you can't miss it. Make sure to take a map with you at all times and plenty of gas.. Be smart up there or it can bite you in the butt.. If you ride from the trailhead at rockhouse to the town of gilbert and back..it's about 40 miles of riding I believe..

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 01:56 PM
So when you say 40 miles do you mean by quad or by truck? We still have alot of planning to do since we have 4 quads and 0 trucks. We are probobly going to get a uhaul box truck. Not sure yet though.

Yeah im gonna have to get some maps so i dont get lost or anything. This all somes really confusing as of right now. Im sure once i get down there i should be able to understand things alot better.

ridered86
04-01-2003, 01:58 PM
a drivers liscence will be enough to get you in right, no age limits are there?

02Yellow400
04-01-2003, 02:02 PM
As far as i know thats all you should need. But i have never been there. Not yet anyway