PDA

View Full Version : In Defense Of The 250ex

keith mcdonald
03-31-2003, 12:30 PM
I have a '02 250 EX and I am not ashamed! My bike is alittle over a year old and I have no complaints.I am sick of magazines and other people bashing or puting down this very dependable machine.Being a married 26 year old doesn't leave me a lot of money to play with,so Iwanted a machine that requires little maintnance,fun to ride , and fits easily into the bed of my S-10.Astime went on,Iadded a few mods to make this great bike even better. Well any way people say a250EX is just aRecon with sportier plastics and that is not true.A250EX does share frames and engine cases with a Recon but has totally different cylinder head,carb,brakes,and amch better suspension.I will be the first to admit a250EX would not be avery good MX quad but with just the mods in my sig. these things can really run.For the record with just a pipe ,filter and jet kit my 250 kept ahead of a stock 350 Warrior until Ihit the rev limiter in 5th gear,and everyone says a250EX is not a sport bike! SO ride with pride fellow 250EXers and when you see a"sport quad" with aloose or broken chain ask them whos laughing now.

Sportrax10
03-31-2003, 12:36 PM
I have no problems with the 250exs. The only time they ever get bashed is when people try comparing them with other machines that isnt realistic. And even then, there not really getting bashed.

kxrider
03-31-2003, 12:51 PM
ya dude i got my 250ex, pretty fixed up, i know its not fast, but it is respectable, and it will beat stock 300ex, and 250x, sure i would love to have a bigger quad, but i got my kx to do my freestyle, the 250ex is just a play\pit bike, its all good

03-31-2003, 12:54 PM
man my lil bros power wheels seems like it has more balls that thing dont stop spinnin the tires its insane and no way in hell will it beat a 250x or 300ex jeez

kxrider
03-31-2003, 01:02 PM
say wat you want but there was about 200 witnesses at the dumes that day, ,and they all had droped jaws, neither one of us had paddles

Striker49
03-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Its a good machine, very reliable...and I have one, sorta. I just dont like it for the fact that its not fast and lacks in some departments. I cannot keep up with anyone I ride with and have quit ridin for the time being.

Different strokes for different fokes. :ermm:

keith mcdonald
03-31-2003, 01:07 PM
This little 250 hasn't been babied .I have landed it from 8ft.,without bending or breaking anything,regularly have it 5ft. off the terra firma .It is always being put up the stepest hills I can find,which is the reason it has a slightly tweaked steering stem(Ok I took it over backwards).:devil Now you see the reason I added more power. LET THEM KNOW WE WON'T GO QUITELY!!!!

03-31-2003, 01:08 PM
then the kid didnt know how to ride, shaft drive, less h orspoer and more weigh wouldnt make it faster

born-to-race
03-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Why do exriders dis a fellow EX? The 250EX is a great bike.

03-31-2003, 01:34 PM
we dont mean to but u can go sayin it will beat 250x and 300ex lol

Glow Plug
03-31-2003, 01:35 PM
i don't really have a problem with a 250ex it's just that i would rather take a 400ex over it, and i don't really consider a quad without chain drive "sporty"

03-31-2003, 01:39 PM
I have no problems with the 250exs. The only time they ever get bashed is when people try comparing them with other machines that isnt realistic. And even then, there not really getting bashed

see...

01TRX300EX
03-31-2003, 01:47 PM
The 250EX is a great bike, I love riding my brothers. Actually freeride, its lighter than the 300EX, and you can definately feel it, the 250EX's front end comes up without trying, and you have to sometimes coax the 300 up a little. The 250 could definately stand to have a little softer suspension and a softer seat, but its still a great bike, and also very good in the mud.

keith mcdonald
03-31-2003, 01:53 PM
It is a good thing though , that magazines don't give the 250ex a very good review, because it gives me a good chance to drag race other entry level bikes! Out here where I live not to many people can afford high dollar sport bikes, so having an under rated quad isn't to bad! You should have heard the excuses I have heard from a polaris trail blazer owner after I out ran him in fourth gear, AFTER he bragged it up!! Or the excuses I got from the warrior owner, when he didn't catch with me for a half a mile, from a dead stop. There can't be that much wrong with shaft drive since Kawasaki chose to use a shaft on their new 700.

RuffRyder400ex
03-31-2003, 01:56 PM
The 250 is a great bike for starters or some people who just like to have some fun and not race around. Yeah they are not that fast but they are an all around good machine. My neighbor has a 300ex and and my sister has a 250ex and they are both totaly stock. The 300 will win for sure but not by much.

kxrider
03-31-2003, 02:23 PM
freeride i dont know if you ever seen any dyno runs, but a stock 300 only has 1.2 hp over stock 250, and i got a pipe, jets,filter,and smaller tires, now tell me why i wouldnt be able to beat a stock 300??

03-31-2003, 02:27 PM
auto clutch, shaft drive

kxrider
03-31-2003, 02:30 PM
wtf does that have to do, auto clutch so wat i can hold the shifter up and drop it on the starts, and the shaft, ,so wat it weighs the same, if not less than 300

kxrider
03-31-2003, 02:31 PM
have u ever rode a 250ex??

keith mcdonald
04-01-2003, 09:12 AM
I think that is the biggest problem,almost every 250EX basher most likely hasn't even riden one.And another thing,it is not the balls UNDER the seat that determines how fast you can go!As far as for drag racing on the road why don't we compare a400EX to a CBR900. When was the last time you saw a 400ex wound out in5th in the woods?

04-01-2003, 09:23 AM
You have to admit its no 400ex :rolleyes:

Basically this post is about you complaining that you cant fit a big quad in your truck, you have little money and its lighter than a 300ex.

250ex's are slow, its true, so dont try to tell me different.

but you cant beat the size of that thing in the woods, add some nice a-arms, better shox, youll have a tight woods contender.

It also depends on how much you weigh. i weigh 240, i wouldnt buy anything smaller than a 400ex.

04-01-2003, 09:24 AM
i have seen 400exs going topped out in woods areas...i dont like 250exs. i think they are pointless, just get a rincon... of course the people who have 250exs are gunna stick up for them.. but i wont.. i think they should go back to the 250X. they were at least clutch and chain driven. 250exs are easy as hell to keep the front end down, i would be afraid to rev the piss otta one and shift it into gear:rolleyes: :devil :scary:

kxrider
04-01-2003, 10:15 AM
i have a 250ex, ,and i only stick up for it cuase its so reliable, and deserves more credit, i think it is perfect for wat it is, it doesnt need a clutch, cuase it is to slow no use, ,and as for chain, that is to much maintence, for a lil quad u dont even race, to slow, but it is defiatly better than a recon, suspenion, geared diffrent, carb,......, i know its not fast, it will never be, but i dont care all i do is ride wheelies down my road anyways, its fine for me, it will hold a wheelie from 1st to 5th gear

04-01-2003, 10:19 AM
a rubicon is reliable? a recon is reliable? a xr50 is reliable? and im sure people can ride wheelies one thro 5 on a recon? should we start sticking up for those?

keith mcdonald
04-01-2003, 10:59 AM
If I really want to go fast Iwould go to a CR250R but would probably kill myself and my wife could collect on my life insurance.My uncle has a Recon ,it is not bad .I was pleased with the power and that is why Idecided to buy the 250EX.Much to my pleasure the 250EX had a lot more power stock.The last time my uncle rode my bike he immediately stood it strait up not realizing the now huge difference in power.He then took it back to the woods and up a hill and came back white facedand said he wheelied it the whole way up! My experience hill climbing has tought me to pin it in3rd and you can go near vertical without loosing any rpm's.

kxrider
04-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by bobby88
a rubicon is reliable? a recon is reliable? a xr50 is reliable? and im sure people can ride wheelies one thro 5 on a recon? should we start sticking up for those?

:D sure lets stick up for them:D :D , i know none of them are fast, but they sure are fun to ride, and when i wanna jump 100ft gaps or go fast i just hop on my kx, and i am proly fixin to get a xr50, you dont gotta go fast to have fun:D

jay's 300
04-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Why can't we all just be happy he didn't get a Timberwolf! :rolleyes: Because a 250EX is a good machine and they are fun to ride! :macho

RuffRyder400ex
04-01-2003, 12:55 PM
The way i see it is atleast they ride have a quad and have fun. Thats all that counts.

04-01-2003, 01:14 PM
yeah sorry didnt mean to bash 250exs so much, as long as you ride:D

Sportrax10
04-01-2003, 01:55 PM
I actually have a lot of fun when I take my sisters 250 out for a spin. It is SO incredibaly easy to do a wheelie on them things cause they dont have clutches.

Striker, I know its not the same, but I had to ride my sisters 250 out with a lot of my friends a couple of times. For stupid reasons mostly like I dont have gas in the 400. If you are a good enough rider on the 250, you can learn to keep up a lot easier. I keep up with Blasters and 2 stroke 80 dirtbikes. Just a bad reason to stop riding IMO.:)

born-to-race
04-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Kidd Kipendberg (sp??) in a pro 4 stroke stock race smoked stock 400EX's on a stock Mojave.

Size doesn't matter, its how you ride it. Who goes
wide open all the time anyway?

keith mcdonald
04-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Her I am on this cool web site and it is time for me to go to bed.It has been brought up about how easy a 250EX wheelies, well you should feel howlight the front end is on mine.With a cam ,pipe ,filter and jets the thing is almost dangerous in 1st you can stand and lean over the bars and gas it and up she comes.2nd will easily dump you on the ground and 3rd easily comes up to clear logs ,ruts ,water holes and whatever.I would not put an in-experienced rider on this bike! I chose the 22inch Knarlies to keep the 55 mph top end. Kenda did a great job on this tire they hook up awsomely but can still break loose when you want them to.However 22inchers do look a little silly with the tall side-walls of a flat profile tire. THS CONCLUDES MY DEFENSE OF HONDAS 250EX...RIDE PROUD 250EXERS

04-01-2003, 03:15 PM
oh go to bed keith... i dont have a bedtime i can be on here allllllllllllllllllll night:D

Bean
04-01-2003, 03:24 PM
some of you 400 guys really embarress me, you ripp and ripp on the 250ex, but then you b*tch and moan when someone rips on your 400, let me tell you, most of your 400's arent fast either, so get over your little fast power trip crap, and quit b*tching

kxrider
04-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bean
some of you 400 guys really embarress me, you ripp and ripp on the 250ex, but then you b*tch and moan when someone rips on your 400, let me tell you, most of your 400's arent fast either, so get over your little fast power trip crap, and quit b*tching

Preach on brotha:D hahahaha, my friend has a 400ex, with jets,lrd exhaust, tires i rode it and i realy wasnt impressed, i mean it will kill my 250, but it wont even think of keepin up with a raptor, ,or dale, in the last few shoot outs ive seen they didnt even put the 400 in it???????

J-06
04-02-2003, 02:32 PM
I have a 250ex its not a Drag Racing Machine at all its fun to mess around on and it does the job quite well. Its fun to ride its better than nothing at all and unlike some peopel that just sit on here and bash 250's because there "slow". Its not meant to race aganist 400's. You go race a raptor and see who wins?

Striker49
04-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax10

Striker, I know its not the same, but I had to ride my sisters 250 out with a lot of my friends a couple of times. For stupid reasons mostly like I dont have gas in the 400. If you are a good enough rider on the 250, you can learn to keep up a lot easier. I keep up with Blasters and 2 stroke 80 dirtbikes. Just a bad reason to stop riding IMO.:)

Funny you should say that, considering my riding buddies are MX racers. :huh And Rico, not even gonna go there.
Im pretty sure when you put Rico on a 416 and some pretty good rider on a stock 250ex, Rico is gonna hand him his *** in the woods.

My uncle has a Recon ,it is not bad .I was pleased with the power and that is why Idecided to buy the 250EX.Much to my pleasure the 250EX had a lot more power stock.The last time my uncle rode my bike he immediately stood it strait up not realizing the now huge difference in power.

LMAO. My dad has a Recon as well, and honestly there is not that much power difference. Actaully, the only difference is the gearing and weight. Im not impressed by my dad's Recon nor the 250. If i do ride for any reason, I hop on the Recon just b/c it feels bigger than the 250 does.

Dont get me wrong, the 250 is a great bike for what it is but face it...it is never going to be a 400ex. Not in power or handling. I just want to be able to keep up with people I ride with and its just not gonna happen with that 250. Everyone I ride with has 350+ cc bikes and half of em ar MX racers, the other half are crazy utility guys that run the suckers wide open all the time and are just as hard to catch. It would be easier to understand if you were me, but owning a 250ex and being 17 is not the coolest thing in my part of the country. Actually, I dont know of anyone else in my school grade that has anything less than a camed and piped 300ex. :huh
I really am looking forward to getting either a KFX/Z or a Predator this fall when my Summer work has earned me enough money to put torwards one. I just want to get the 250 off of my hands b/c all it does is collect dust except for the occasional ride that my sisters take on it. :rolleyes:

Sorry I am such a "cry baby" but I could really care less what you all think of me, and like I said, if you was in my shoes you would be able to understand better of where I am comin from, but you're not so you'll prolly cry at me b/c I do not ride nor like the 250ex. But hey, thats life...its just the net. :)

kxrider
04-02-2003, 02:53 PM
dude im 17 and i have a 250ex, ,and i dont give a flyin f#$% wat anyone says, and you know why, becuase it was free my dad bought it for me 2 years ago, and i am very thankful for that, thats why i dotn ask him to sell it, be cuase i dont want him to think other wise:D

Striker49
04-02-2003, 03:22 PM
My father also purchased mine, but I gave him a full warning before he did that I would out grow it quickly and require something bigger as I grew older and suggested that I pay the cost of what it would take to get the 400 with what he was willing to pay for the 250 but he didnt listen to a word I said. Now he is trying to tell me that the 250 has plenty of power and this and that. I keep trying to tell him that 250ccs is not what it used to be 20 years ago when he was ridin trikes with the locals. So my sisters just ride it, well...it more-or-less theirs anyways now since I do not ride it and its legally my dads. But anyways, I dont know if you know this or not, but riding alone is not by any means recommended or safe...and when you cant keep up with the people you ride with, guess what happens.
While I was riding the 250, I was givin it all it had but the suspension just isnt enough and while trying to keep up I made friends with a tree while pinning it on the rev limiter in 5th. :huh Not fun, not to mention the hill at Turkey Bay I went backwards down b/c the 250 couldnt follow the Raptor...:rolleyes: go figure, fearthisracer and zingnut both witnessed that one and so did the grab bar as it earned itself a nice dent when it met a tree that proceeded to get in the way.

The 250 just doesnt have the power, handling, or suspension that I need.

Trash me all you want, right now I could really care less. Stress is about to kill me and Im on a breaking point at the moment...one of those "bash things with a sledge hammer" points and being laughed at b/c my quad is slow and not havin a g/f really makes my day...everyday. :grr

4punksdad
04-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by kxrider
freeride i dont know if you ever seen any dyno runs, but a stock 300 only has 1.2 hp over stock 250, and i got a pipe, jets,filter,and smaller tires, now tell me why i wouldnt be able to beat a stock 300??

pay no attention to freeride. he is a know it all punk from NY who doesn't know jack. the 250ex is a perfectly capable quad. and like all quads, it has its good points and bad points.

Striker49
04-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Hmmm...I was pretty sure a 300ex had approx 17, and 250x, around 15, and a 250ex around 13. :confused:

04-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
pay no attention to freeride. he is a know it all punk from NY who doesn't know jack. the 250ex is a perfectly capable quad. and like all quads, it has its good points and bad points.

lol, freeride does act like he knows everything,:mad: ...just kiddin freeride:devil :rolleyes:

kxrider
04-03-2003, 09:37 AM
na dude i was suprised to 250ex lik 11.4-12, 300ex lik 12.8-13.4 saw in in buyers guide

04-03-2003, 09:46 AM

4 punks I AM NOT FLAMING YOU but wtf is up with u? every post i make your flaming me, dont u understand that is breaking a rule? if u dont like me cant u just keep your mouth shut? i dont flame you every post you make, your a poor example for new members especially since your an authority figure here

i didnt say the 250ex was a bad quad and i didnt say 400ex was a great quad there slow as hell, im just saying a good rider on the 300 will beat his equal on a 250ex, the 250ex is no doubt the top quad for what its made for and i didnt deny that

i cant beleive some people take things so seriously, u can say whatever u want about me or my quad on here and it doesnt bother me because none of u except 2 or 3 really know me, who cares if my quad is slow , who cares if i think a 250ex is slow, thier all a bunch of metal with rubber tires and as long as YOU like it what is the difference, i dotn understand u people

4 punks ur running stock quads all the time im sorry if i it sounds like i know more but did u ever think i might know more than u or that its possible i could know more....

kxrider
04-03-2003, 10:26 AM
dude freeride, he is just responding cause he knows that we are makin since, and you arent, and maybe he reponds to all your post becuase they are all like the ones on this thread, and he sees that you are bashin a 250ex, and you obviously have never rode one??

01TRX300EX
04-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I can keep up with bigger quads just fine with the 250EX, its all rider I guess. I can imagine not being able to keep up if your going flat out, but I mean come on, do you really need to be full out the entire ride? The suspension isnt all that great, but I have learned to ride around that, basically just nail the throttle and hang on, then its ok.

rider250ex
04-03-2003, 10:31 AM
i think the 250ex sucks. i have had way to many problems with mine. within the first week or so of riding i bent the axle. the plastics crack in the same place on all of them. my axle and hub stripped last weekend and today i found out that i snapped my swing arm. i bent the stock rims and all of the bolts fall out... so much for being reliable. :confused2

04-03-2003, 10:39 AM
dude freeride, he is just responding cause he knows that we are makin since,

that didnt make any SENSE

how did i not make sense? and im not bashin the 250, id bet if u got use to the 300 and he raced u on the 250 and u on the 300 ud beat him thats what im saying ive never bashed the 250ex ever

and u wanna know why he responds like that is cuz he doesnt like me for some dumb thing awhile ago, now 4punks tell me all the things im wrong about and u give me the right answers

freakystone
04-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by keith mcdonald
I have a '02 250 EX and I am not ashamed! My bike is alittle over a year old and I have no complaints.I am sick of magazines and other people bashing or puting down this very dependable machine.Being a married 26 year old doesn't leave me a lot of money to play with,so Iwanted a machine that requires little maintnance,fun to ride , and fits easily into the bed of my S-10.Astime went on,Iadded a few mods to make this great bike even better. Well any way people say a250EX is just aRecon with sportier plastics and that is not true.A250EX does share frames and engine cases with a Recon but has totally different cylinder head,carb,brakes,and amch better suspension.I will be the first to admit a250EX would not be avery good MX quad but with just the mods in my sig. these things can really run.For the record with just a pipe ,filter and jet kit my 250 kept ahead of a stock 350 Warrior until Ihit the rev limiter in 5th gear,and everyone says a250EX is not a sport bike! SO ride with pride fellow 250EXers and when you see a"sport quad" with aloose or broken chain ask them whos laughing now.

I bought a used (mint) 250EX last Nov. for my son. He is 10 and maybe it is just a bit much for him but he does fine with it. Then on Christmas Eve, my wifes dogs got loose at about midnight. It was snowing pretty bad and we had about 7 inches of snow on the ground. I fired up the 250EX because the Trinity on my Z would have gotten the cop on me in a minute.

I was very surprised with the 250EX. It took me a minute to stop pulling in the left side hand break, think it was a clutch but once I did, it was scooting along pretty good. Once I found the dogs I kept playing and was jumping some 4 foot, steep snowbanks getting a good 6 feet high and 30 out. Yes the snow helped the landings since the suspension is not adjustable but I am 6'3" and 225 lbs. It was a ball.

I told my boy some time back that if he gets all A's and B's on his last report card, I will get him a new Z250. I hope I dont have to. The 250EX is rock solid.

Peace.

keith mcdonald
04-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Like I said the 25EX would not be a good choice for MX riding.A lot of people don't know how to take care of their machines.I have seen idiots trash a new bike in a day and I have seen 20 yr. old machines look like new.I personally feel a rider should purchase his own bike and be totally responsible for up-keep.You can' go calling a quad junk when you attempt stupid things the bike was never intende to do!!!!

Sportrax10
04-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Striker49
Funny you should say that, considering my riding buddies are MX racers. :huh And Rico, not even gonna go there.
Im pretty sure when you put Rico on a 416 and some pretty good rider on a stock 250ex, Rico is gonna hand him his *** in the woods.

My uncle has a Recon ,it is not bad .I was pleased with the power and that is why Idecided to buy the 250EX.Much to my pleasure the 250EX had a lot more power stock.The last time my uncle rode my bike he immediately stood it strait up not realizing the now huge difference in power.

LMAO. My dad has a Recon as well, and honestly there is not that much power difference. Actaully, the only difference is the gearing and weight. Im not impressed by my dad's Recon nor the 250. If i do ride for any reason, I hop on the Recon just b/c it feels bigger than the 250 does.

Dont get me wrong, the 250 is a great bike for what it is but face it...it is never going to be a 400ex. Not in power or handling. I just want to be able to keep up with people I ride with and its just not gonna happen with that 250. Everyone I ride with has 350+ cc bikes and half of em ar MX racers, the other half are crazy utility guys that run the suckers wide open all the time and are just as hard to catch. It would be easier to understand if you were me, but owning a 250ex and being 17 is not the coolest thing in my part of the country. Actually, I dont know of anyone else in my school grade that has anything less than a camed and piped 300ex. :huh
I really am looking forward to getting either a KFX/Z or a Predator this fall when my Summer work has earned me enough money to put torwards one. I just want to get the 250 off of my hands b/c all it does is collect dust except for the occasional ride that my sisters take on it. :rolleyes:

Sorry I am such a "cry baby" but I could really care less what you all think of me, and like I said, if you was in my shoes you would be able to understand better of where I am comin from, but you're not so you'll prolly cry at me b/c I do not ride nor like the 250ex. But hey, thats life...its just the net. :)
Well all im talking about is Blasters. And all im saying is that its better then nothing. I didnt call you a "cry baby"

toby400ex
04-03-2003, 12:30 PM
The 250ex does what it is made for, it is a perfect low cost trail bike that doesnt break down when used correctly and maintained correctly. It is not a race quad, like many of you said, but it fits certain peoples needs perfectly with its easy to ride power and handling. I had a recon for a year, it was my first quad and nothing ever went wrong on it, so i know what im talking about. So lets all stop being little *****y *****es and go riding.:D

4punksdad
04-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by freeride132

4 punks ur running stock quads all the time im sorry if i it sounds like i know more but did u ever think i might know more than u or that its possible i could know more....

NOPE............I have forgotten more than you will ever know. I run stock quads because I don't fix things that aren't broke. I run stock quads because I LIKE to embarrass punks like you who show up with all your fancy crap & still can't ride. I run stock quads because I choose to. When you turn 18 you can start making your own choices too.

AlaskaSpeed
04-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Seems to me that a lot of people on this site have forgotten that we are all in this together. We are all atv riders, not the average riders either; since only fanatics would be logged in here as much as most are!
I think if someone has a quad that fits a niche for them, great! I would venture to guess that most of the guys on here that dis smaller quads and see themselves as Jeremiah Jones or Dana Creech's are living in a fantasy land that this site facilitates.
So, let's get back to supporting each other and lay off trying to make others feel bad for the quad they CHOOSE to own!:o

AlaskaSpeed
04-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
NOPE............I have forgotten more than you will ever know. I run stock quads because I don't fix things that aren't broke. I run stock quads because I LIKE to embarrass punks like you who show up with all your fancy crap & still can't ride. I run stock quads because I choose to. When you turn 18 you can start making your own choices too.

LOL.....not much left to say here.....:eek2:

04-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Seems to me that a lot of people on this site have forgotten that we are all in this together. We are all atv riders, not the average riders either; since only fanatics would be logged in here as much as most are!
I think if someone has a quad that fits a niche for them, great! I would venture to guess that most of the guys on here that dis smaller quads and see themselves as Jeremiah Jones or Dana Creech's are living in a fantasy land that this site facilitates.
So, let's get back to supporting each other and lay off trying to make others feel bad for the quad they CHOOSE to own!:o

right on my brotha:devil