PDA

View Full Version : stock carb mod

cals400ex
03-31-2003, 11:59 AM
i was wondering if anyone did the stock carb mod. i believe you can get this done by sparks and some other companies. i was just wondering what they drill out or grind out and if there was any benefit to this. there better be a benefit for the $175 that it costs. thanks

ill_lil_romey
03-31-2003, 12:22 PM
I had one of mine done by TMM and it made a big difference. They remove the choke and grind down the little fins inside, then do a little bore job on it. It's not worth the money unless they bore it to about 38mm though. On my second one I did the ish myself. Just remove the choke, get your rotary tool and grind down those fins inside(you'll see when you take the choke out) and that's it, you have yourself a stock carb mod. While I had mine out I did a little clean up bore on it too. It runs great, huge improvement over stock. You get great throttle response and when you build up you can keep it w/o having to pay 450 for a FCR. I don't know why some guys get huge carbs anyway, with a stock carb flowed and jetted right you get all the benefits and retain the bottom end.

cals400ex
03-31-2003, 06:17 PM
does this improve top end power? is it beneficial with the choke still in place? just wondering because my bike won't start without the choke. i am running a 42 pilot already. it did not help. i bump the throttle before i try to start the bike and i still need the choke. if the bike is cold, summer or winter, i need the choke. it pisses me off because i talk to many people that don't even need the choke in winter with this pilot in place. not the case for me and i don't know why. where you lost me is where the fins are located. i am not sure what the fins look like. i appreciate your help

UglyMotha™
04-01-2003, 01:56 AM
call up rocky ridge they did my carb, they took the fins out of it and bored it out to a 38 and it was only 125 give them a call there very helpful when i talked to them and i'm sure they can answer all your questions i haven't had the chance to try mine out still got some things left to get together

cals400ex
04-12-2003, 05:36 AM
i have one more question on this topic. i took the choke out and looked inside the carb. there is a litttle bronze/gold color rod behind the choke? do you drill this off too? also, did you drill the carb out more where the dark metal piece slides vertical(up and down) when you hit the gas. this piece i am talking about is dark in color and it opens the carb when you hit the throttle. i was wondering if you actually drilled a little bit off where it slides on inside the carb? i really appreciate your help.

JD400exrider
04-12-2003, 03:40 PM
I talked to curtis sparks the other day on this stock carb mod. Is anyone running there stock carb mod.
Uglymotha do you have a phone number or web site for rocky ridge? I am interested in doing the same thing.

cals400ex
04-13-2003, 07:42 AM
rocky ridge's # is 1-502-259-9604.

JD400exrider
04-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks cals :D