PDA

View Full Version : alluminum air box

exracer
03-31-2003, 11:07 AM
i just got a new UM aluminum air box, does anyone have one and do u have any brief instructions on how to install one

thanks

Razorback
03-31-2003, 12:12 PM
I just got one of these last week and there were no instructions. I contacted UM about it and they didn't have any instructions, but were in the process of creating some (a little late IMO). I muddled through it and got mine installed. I'll try to get some pics to show you. It was somewhat of a pain and did not end up as I had expected, but overall, I'm happy with the box.

I'll try to take the pics tonight and get them to you. I'm still thinking about modding the box a bit, but haven't even considered starting it yet :)

exracer
03-31-2003, 12:36 PM
thanks man, if those pics do work it would be a great help

one question,
when i was riddin, my airbox came loose from the bike and was destroyed, dust ran into my carb unfiltered for a couple of laps around a local track. do you know the best way to clean out the carb, and will my engine be ok?
thanks again

Str8Wicked
03-31-2003, 12:55 PM
With my CFM I disconnected removed the battery, box etc.

Than removed the filter, than the box with the plastic air tube.

I believe with the CFM you have to cut the original air tub thou so it fits in the new box which was no big deal.

Bolted up the box in the rear of the subframe and started bolting all parts back up...

Make sure if you re route your ground wire like I did that you grind the frame down enought where you are bolting it up so you get a good ground... My bike didn't start for a few days until I finally found out the dumb *** ground was bad even thou it was tight....

Razorback
03-31-2003, 12:56 PM
ok, i'm getting ready to post the pics. they should be self-explanatory. the main thing i didn't like is that all the wiring is not intended to go into the box itself, and that was part of the reason i chose the box in the first place. at least the battery is in there, which was my main reason, though.

that being said, the little piece with the ears either needs to attach to the airbox itself, or it will fit perfectly in two of the old holes from the battery box. there is a small white plastic piece with wires that has two holes. these can attach to this metal piece, although the bolts aren't provided. the solenoid piece then slips onto the ears of the metal piece.

here is another problem. the wire that comes with the box for the positive battery connection is not long enough to fit from the solenoid to the battery, so i hate to mate the old positive cable and the new one together because of this. the picture shows it clearly. i also drilled a separate hole for the negative (ground) cable to attach to the frame, because both positive and negative cables will not fit through the hole that's predrilled. you can mount that negative cable anywhere on the subframe, but i wasn't happy at first, so drilling a new hole worked for me. again, the pictures should show this.

regarding your other questions, it all depends on what all got sucked into the motor. if it was very minor, then you "might" not see problems for a while, but it would be worth having it checked out. also, to clean your carb, just get some carb cleaner at an auto parts store, take the carb off the quad, and spray the heck out of it - every piece.

pic1:

Str8Wicked
03-31-2003, 12:56 PM
Another view

exracer
03-31-2003, 12:58 PM
where did u bolt the other 2 attachment points to, my bike has no holes in the frame there????

Razorback
03-31-2003, 12:58 PM
pic2

Razorback
03-31-2003, 01:00 PM
pic3

exracer
03-31-2003, 01:01 PM
i see, u just zip tied the airbox on the other two holes, right?

Razorback
03-31-2003, 01:02 PM
last pic

exracer
03-31-2003, 01:03 PM
thanks for all the pics, u saved me alot of time
:)

Razorback
03-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by exracer
i see, u just zip tied the airbox on the other two holes, right?

yes, and that was for two reasons, 1) to keep the box from bouncing around, and 2) to keep the grommets from coming out.

exracer
03-31-2003, 01:18 PM
the main attachment point in the back of my air box is welded in the wrong place, i am either going to have to drill a new whole or contact them about a new one, what do u suggest?

exracer
03-31-2003, 01:33 PM
nvm, i know what im gunna do

THANKS alot for all those pics, they will be a big help