PDA

View Full Version : Help! broken oil cover bolt

EXDUNER127
03-31-2003, 05:38 AM
I was tightening the oil filter cover back on when all of a sudden the long bolt broke in half in the middle of the thread, and the tip is stuck in there...How do I get that little piece out cause i cant put that bolt in ..any help please! this sucks....

Castor-426ex
03-31-2003, 05:44 AM
well these bolts break all the time...if it is pretty deep in there and if you dont drill it out and retap...you could possibly take that cover off and get to it from the reverse side...i cant remember though..or if theres enough thread left to tighten a shorter bolt go that route

gojk
03-31-2003, 05:53 AM
Most of the time it doesn't break in the threads so just pull the clutch side cover off and the you should be able to put some vise grips on there and take the bolt out. That has happened to me once and that is how I fixed it.

Mxbubs
03-31-2003, 05:56 AM
First try to drill a small hole in the broken bolt and put a small screw extractor, aka "easy out", in the hole and try to back the broken bolt out. Be careful, it you break the small easy out, you are screwed. You will then have to get a small center punch and chip and chiseil the easy out to break it up.

If the easy out wont turn it out, try to find a left handed drill bit real small and see if it will back it out.

If none of the above work, get a drill bit and drill the hole dang bolt out. Now you will have to rethread the hole and go with a bigger bolt. Or you could use an insert, aka helicoil, or wedge type insert to put back into the hole.

There, you probably have no idea what I just said, but you have to do some research on your own.

Mcmaster-carr.com will have everything you need, and so will a good hardware store.

Castor-426ex
03-31-2003, 05:59 AM
i wish i could replace every bolt on my ex with a stainless allen head bolt....honda really skimped on the fasteners for this quad

Chino
03-31-2003, 09:19 AM
I've had it happen many times seems like everytime i change oil a bolt breaks lol. I took mine to the honda shop to put in a helical now im waiting on my new oil tank cause the drain plug on my stock one sorta came out w/ a big chunk of metal wrapped around it :grr