PDA

View Full Version : can i put racingfuel in stock motor?????

franciscoluis
03-31-2003, 05:35 AM
is there any harm to the motor (stock) if i put half racing fuel and half pump gas.
Thank you.
francisco Luis

Pappy
03-31-2003, 05:36 AM
just too your wallet:p

franciscoluis
03-31-2003, 05:41 AM
thank you, but that wont be bad to the motor???
Im gona be racin this next weekend and i have a friend that drag with cars and he give me the fuel for free

Pappy
03-31-2003, 05:43 AM
ive always run 110 octane in all my quads..some stock...some not and ive never had any troubles with it:)

franciscoluis
03-31-2003, 05:48 AM
:D

intruder
03-31-2003, 07:58 AM
it doesn't help any on a stock quad and on mine it ruined the valves had to replace with stainless.

Wheelie
03-31-2003, 08:21 AM
I ran 100+LL Aviation fuel through my stock 00' 400ex for three years without any negative side effects.

Although, while running the fuel, I noticed improved throttle response and the engine ran cooler. Not to mention the cool smell.......

wilkin250r
03-31-2003, 08:44 AM
There is a common misconception that race gas is faster or more explosive than regular gas. It's actually more stable at high pressures and tempuratures, and burns slower. Thus, an argument could be made that you actually LOSE power.

When you increase the compression, you increase pressure and tempurature of the fuel/air mixture. This is why you need a higher octane rating (like race gas) to keep the fuel from igniting too early. The power comes from the higher compression, not the fuel.

franciscoluis
03-31-2003, 08:59 AM
so... its gona be less power with race fuel????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Wheelie
03-31-2003, 10:52 AM
IMO--I don't think you would experience any power losses by running high octane fuel. Yes, it does burn slower, but it also burns longer for more complete burning during combustion.

On that note, the increase in flame duration during the combustion stroke could result in a small increase in power.

Then again, I could be wrong..........

My experiences with high octane fuel show a very small, but noticable increase in power.

oregonrider89
03-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Would You see an increase in power with a 440 @ 11/1 compression when using race gas?

oregonrider89

Wheelie
03-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Very possible.......there's only one way to find out for sure.

If anyone sells aviation fuel in your area, give that a shot. Last time I bought some near Tillamook, it was 2.05 a gallon, not bad considering Supreme was 1.96.

BigThumper33
03-31-2003, 11:35 AM
All race fuel does is basically keep from igniting to early. If you "feel" more power and better throttle response....its in your head.

At stock compression you will not notice any improvement, or lose. I've ran it in my stock motor before, it does nothing except be an air freshener....

I shouldn't confuse anyone, you will not notice any improvement at any compression ratio. You will at like 12:1 over like a 91 octance only because the 91 will start prematurly igniting.....not because the "race" fuel burns better.......

If you want to run cooler, run alcohol, I believe it burns 30 degrees cooler than gasoline, and I've found it to be much keeper than 110 octane 3.50, at 2.85 a gallon. Of course I do believe you run through much more.....

86atc250r
03-31-2003, 01:05 PM
it doesn't help any on a stock quad and on mine it ruined the valves had to replace with stainless.

?

Race gas is BETTER for the top end (i.e. valves) because of it's lead content. If you ruined (bent? burnt?) your valves, you better check into what happened because it very likely wasn't the race gas.

Another advantage to race gas is it is much more consistant than the crap they mix together to meet minimum requirements to be pump gas. This makes for more consistant power and jetting.

Not much advantage to running race gas in a stock 400EX engine except for the intimidation factor from the smells flowing from your exhaust.

Here's one of many informative articles on race fuel
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/rt-fuel1.html

Pappy
03-31-2003, 01:17 PM
well i started using it in alot of my small engines when maryland went to the oxygen blended fuel:huh i used to melt down atleast one weedeater and one push mower each year( i think the oxygenated fuels cause a lean condition) since i switched to running 110 i have had zero problems and a much lower sears credit card bill...lmao

86atc250r is very correct on the fluxuation in the fuels available at the pump. they suck. a consumer company did a study in this state that showed there was on average only 1 or 2 octane points difference between regular and unleaded...not the 6 or 8 advertised.

BigThumper33
03-31-2003, 01:20 PM
Actually I've read that the government regulates pump fuel much more strictly than "race" fuel, and that it is best to purchase from good named brands that have a stable consistancy....but then again who knows?

With the emissions crisis, I'm sure the pump gas is regulated pretty good.

I'm running Unical, anyone heard any problems with them?

86atc250r
03-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Pump gas = crap...

Had a 100 mile endurance race last weekend. Didn't have any race fuel handy and didn't have time to pick some up.

Bought some 91 at a station on the way to the event.

About 1/4 way into the race, the engine began detonating badly under load. It was a cold day and this engine has been together for a couple years & I've never had a problem with detonation.

Don't know what they sold me, but it certainly wasn't the 91 advertised.... Needless to say, I'll never buy gas there again - in fact, I'm tempted to sic whoever the regulating authority is on them to make sure they aren't selling the same gas as 87, 89, and 91. Could have caused me serious engine damage.

The govt does regulate pump gas, but again, they have minimum requirements - guess what you get.

Race fuel is a premium product that doesn't have to meet emissions standards. Most petroleum companies take pride in the quality of their race fuel.

Just because something is regulated by the govt, doesn't mean it's better - usually the opposite.

franciscoluis
03-31-2003, 02:01 PM
all your comments are very useful to me
Thats why a like a lot this forum and this site.
BTW here in chihuahua, mx. all the pump gas is $!tt its like 89 octanes.
See ya
francisco Luis
And thanks.

BigThumper33
03-31-2003, 02:12 PM
I found some 92 in my town, I was surpised. I'd like to get ahold of some 93 somewhere. I do believe I should be able to run that fine with 11.1:1 compression?

shamisc
03-31-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by oregonrider89
Would You see an increase in power with a 440 @ 11/1 compression when using race gas?

oregonrider89

I wouldn't say a power increase, but a decrease in detonation. I would run at least a 50/50 mixture of race gas and 92 or 93. JMO. Mine only sees 76 Unical the Official fuel of Nascar 110 !

Dune Surfer
03-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by oregonrider89

oregonrider89
I have to run a 50/50 mix in mine with 11.2:1. If I don't it pings. I think it would be the same for you. Try it and see if it helps.

oregonrider89
03-31-2003, 05:43 PM
I'm not having any trouble with the 92 oct. that I'm running, no pingging or detonation. I know the owner of the gas station I get my gas from, he makes sure he gets good fuel. I have a 10.5/1 JE piston, but I'm running a thinner cometic head gasket so I'm probly only 10.8/1. I think that how I can get away with the 92 oct gas. I just didn't know if race gas would give me more power. Thanks for answering my question.

oregonrider89

Big - D Racing
03-31-2003, 05:59 PM
I have seen dyno runs that prove race gas boost hp. Atleast with a high compression piston, can't say for sure with stock piston. I ran dynos with regular gas, 4 weeks old vp c-12, and a fresh vp c-12. The fresh vp s-12 ran 1.5 hp higher than the old stuff and 1 hp higher than 91 octane. Not only does it boost a little power, but it keeps your valvetrain cooler. Don't let the gas sit for longer than 2 weeks or it goes bad, 4 weeks if in a metal drum.