PDA

View Full Version : Seat the bead with Ether?

Bspring
12-17-2001, 08:24 AM
Has anybody ever used ether to seat the bead on a tire? Have you heard of anyone getting hurt doing this. Is there a proper way to do this?

Lil90man!!
12-17-2001, 09:21 AM
our neighbor has done that before but i wouldn't advise it!!! the easiest way to do it is to take out the valve core with a valve core remover(go figure) and then use an air compressor and air it up until both sides pop on then get the thing off( we have a problem with ours sticking on the thing lol) let the air come out and then air it up to proper tire pressure and ;) ur good to go!! one thing make sure you hold the tire away from the rim unless you really don't want/need you fingers anymore!!!

Bspring
12-17-2001, 09:32 AM
I stuck the air nozzle in the vale stem and finally got it but I would still like to know about the ether.

sly400ex
12-17-2001, 11:19 AM
It's funny you brought up the ether idea. I was watching truck off road racing over the weekend and they user the ether trick when their tire comes off the bead. That don't recommend either. Probably because it's explosive.

exTAZe400
12-17-2001, 04:18 PM
I have seen this tried "to no avail I might add" and all I can say is it looks like an accident just waiting to happen.

There are other methods of doing this that are WAY SAFER in my opinion.

The old expression the right tool for the job comes to mind.

Good luck and please try to avoid doing this method.

"BLAHH"300!!
12-18-2001, 02:41 AM
2 toyota land rover's- (i guess their who makes those truckes)
all modded out to ride at either the south or north pole-
well to keep the trucks from sliding everywhere on the ice
they used realy fat tires with only 3 pounds of presure in them-

sounds crazy huh- well if the tires poped off they couldn't go to
to a shop so they had to use this method to get them "back on track" (so to speak)

to me it sounds like BILLY, BILLY BOB, BILLY JOE, AND
BILLY BOB JOE FRED , out back at a family
bar-b-q- when LODEL, SLYDEL, MARCELL and EUGENE came over with a flat on the families home....:macho

Bspring
12-18-2001, 07:45 AM
Watch it EX CITEING 300, I don’t live that far from Rt. 4 Liberty MS.

4punksdad
12-18-2001, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by exTAZe400
I have seen this tried "to no avail I might add" and all I can say is it looks like an accident just waiting to happen.

There are other methods of doing this that are WAY SAFER in my opinion.

The old expression the right tool for the job comes to mind.

Good luck and please try to avoid doing this method.

I agree.........accident waiting to happen. I have seen it done before. seems to me the ether seats the bead, but you need to get the air too it quickly after that. the "BANG" will get your attention

"BLAHH"300!!
12-18-2001, 09:12 PM
RT. 4 LIBERTY MS..

:huh WHAA....

i'm in vicksburg

Bspring
12-19-2001, 08:23 AM
Sorry, I thought someone that knew the names Lodel, Slydel, Marcell, and Eugeue would recognize Mr. Clower’s address.

Someone else also told me to be ready with the air ASAP but it seams that if the ether seats the bead all the way it would stay. I really don’t see much danger if the tire is mounted on a tire mount stand and you through a match at it. My concern was if it split the tire and stuff went flying through the air. Although I was tempted to do this, my concerns of the danger lead me to post this topic to hear others thoughts on the subject.

Scott
12-19-2001, 09:47 AM
My buddy rolled one his tires off the bead while we were riding, so we did the ether thing to put it back on. It WILL get the adrenalin pumping. Better have some water handy to put the fire out too. Any ether on the OUTSIDE of the tire ignites just like the ether on the inside. I think the mention of "having the air ready" is because as soon as the bead seats, the ether quickly burns itself out, no O2 left in side the tire. Then it cools and the tire collapses like you hooked it to a vaccuum pump. Kinda neat to watch, from a distance that is. I DON'T recommend this method. Too easy for a whole bunch of things to go wrong.

If you're at home/garage/ etc. put a little soap on the bead and rim and use the air compressor. If you have trouble getting the tire to hold air well enough to seat the bead, use a rope and tie it around the center of the tread to compress the center of the tread a little. Then hit it with the air again. The beads should pop right on. Read the sidewall on your tire and don't exceed the pressure the manufacturer lists for mounting the tire. Fot hole shots, that's 15 psi, which is more than enough to seat the bead.

papaw
12-19-2001, 03:06 PM
a couple of weeks ago i was helping a bud of mine put some tires on his 12" wide rims for his toyota.the only way was to use the ether trick.we had them secured to his tire changer and there was three of us doing it.the first guy sprayed the ether(for 8-10 seconds)sprayed a whick so to speak another guy lit the mess and when they exploded the tires jumped off the changer and i would chase it down and put air to it.......don't use that much for your quad tires though.and yes its a rush but is very dangerous...

12-19-2001, 03:57 PM
if you have 2 people it's easy but i just put the rim and tire on the workbench,i start putting air into it while i take my other arm (using my forarm)i hit the tire in the middle of the tread(not to hard but hard)the arm hiting the tire pushes the beads outwards like the explosion,it might sound stupid but it works,try it if you don't belive me

Smoker
12-19-2001, 09:28 PM
Ever try putting a tiedown around the middle and sinch it down? It pushes the bead out to help it seat, the ether isn't that dangerous unless you happen to hose yourelf down with the stuff. It is exciting though.:p

12-20-2001, 01:16 PM
i always have trouble using a tie down,i think my ways always worked better for me

barbwire44
12-28-2001, 09:13 AM
The either does work and it works great! Maybe a little dangerous if not done with some thought, Gasoline also works if you're out in the woods and want to get youre tire back on the bead. My technique is lay the tire on its side spray about a 2 second shot into the tire then light it with a caveman style torch (a stick with a rag on it.) For the gasoline in the woods trick drain some gas into a bottle or whatever you have, leave the tire and rim attached to the bike, pour a little gas inside then leave a trail of gas a few feet from the tire and light it there, And be ready with you're can of fix a flat. Maybe a little dangerous but beats the hell outa leavin the bike in the woods. If you're nervous just remember to put you're helmet and goggles on first.:devil

Taco
12-28-2001, 03:56 PM
I have this weird feeling that barbwire doesnt have any eyebrows or other facial hair.:devil :devil

barbwire44
12-29-2001, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Tacostrk
I have this weird feeling that barbwire doesnt have any eyebrows or other facial hair.:devil :devil

Maybe not, but i do have all my teeth west virginia man(tacostrk) lol !!....Hey taco who's the poorest man in west virginia?............................The Tooth Fairy..! Lol/j/k.:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil

Taco
12-29-2001, 12:33 PM
I only have one thing to say to you.

:D :D :DFIFO!!!!

Bspring
12-31-2001, 08:13 AM
Barbwire44, have you actually done this? The gas thing in the woods? How did you stop the gas from burning the tire and plastic? Also, what happens if the gas just burns and the bead does not set, then you have a fire inside your tire and no way of putting it out because it is getting all the oxygen it needs from around the bead! I have to admit it is a very interesting concept but I don’t think I could do that to my Quad…possibly someone else’s though.

12-31-2001, 08:40 AM
hey bspring good times in magnet cove.i have used either and when i didn,t have either i even used acetalene use then sparingly if it doesn,t seat the bead keep air going into the tire and the fire will go out i use an air ckuck that locks on the valve stem and keep air going into the tire the whole time.never hrut any wheels but they will bounce pretty good sometimes

barbwire44
01-02-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Bspring
Barbwire44, have you actually done this? The gas thing in the woods? How did you stop the gas from burning the tire and plastic? Also, what happens if the gas just burns and the bead does not set, then you have a fire inside your tire and no way of putting it out because it is getting all the oxygen it needs from around the bead! I have to admit it is a very interesting concept but I don’t think I could do that to my Quad…possibly someone else’s though.

Yes, i've done it a few times in the woods, actually the first time we tried it , a guy rolled his yamaha 200 (the one with no suspension) down a hill and 3 outa 4 tires came off the bead and it worked great. As far as the gas burning the tire we haven't had any trouble usually you just kick at the flame with you're boot and pretty much good to go.:devil

RideRed400EX
01-02-2002, 01:38 PM
It's always easier to set a tire if one bead is already seated. With the fronts you can put the tire/wheel on top of a proprane can then stand on the tire to push the tire on the bead.

Every little trick helps.

JabberJaw
01-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Seat the bead with Ether?

Does that leave "skid marks"?

01-03-2002, 09:20 AM
Lighter fluid works better and not near as explosive. This is a very last resort though. Try the strap or I have used a rope and a stick.

01-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Before joining the military, I use to work on tires. And from personel experience DO NOT try this unless its an emergency, and even then becareful. I was usinf ether on a 11x22.5 tire (semi size). I spread the ether in and went to light. The side wall on the tire was very weak and it blew up in my face they were pick out schrapnel out of my legs and hans for hours (doctors).
so don't do it......

Bspring
01-03-2002, 02:18 PM
This is why I started this post. I was concerned that something like this might happen. It is my understanding that the velocity of the explosion is related to the fuel to air mixture. Too much ether or too little ether will reduce the force of the explosion, so if you happen to get it just right I am thinking you could blow the tire to pieces!

Scott
01-03-2002, 02:27 PM
When the bead isn't sealed, you've got no shortage or air (oxygen actually), so the more ether you use, the bigger the boom you're about to receive.

Let's just leave it at it's a bad idea. There's better ways to do it unless you're stranded and don't have any other options.

But then again, who carries a can of starting fluid in their fanny pack???