View Full Version : Elka shock review

Dune Surfer
03-30-2003, 06:23 PM
I bought the Elka replacement shocks without rezzies. They are preload adjustable only. They were purchased through the Quadshop. Jeff was very helpfull, answering all of my questions. He suggested the Elka shocks without rezzies over the Works with rezzies. He said the are built better, have bigger shafts and better springs (better steel).
I recieved the shocks in about two weeks. They come with a manual, tools to adjust the preload, and some Elka stickers. My first impression was they looked well made and tough, nice colors too. Installation is a snap, four bolts and there in. So far so good.
My first ride was at Glamis. I rode some dunes, bumps and small jumps. Overall they worked better in every aspect. They corner faster, handle transitions, bumps, and jumps much better than stock. The only problem I had with them is that they seemed just to stiff for my type of riding. I ride mostly dunes with a little trail riding thrown in during the summer. I wanted a plush ride.
I called Elka and they suggested I adjust the stock rear shock. I adjusted the rear to thier suggested set up and went back to Glamis to try them out. I rode them HARD, Hammering through bumps, transitions, and jumps (10-20 ft) Still to stiff for me. My wrist were toast!!
I called Elka again and explained my problem. They said I would need softer main springs. First they tried to charge me for the springs. I told them NO !! They relented, sending the springs at no charge.
I rode them today on some rocky, rutted trails. The verdict??
MUCH better. They handled everything great, allowing me to ride faster and with better contol in every situation. These are a quality product. The best $500 bucks I've spent to date.
All in all a good experience, I would order them for a weight lighter than you really are though. Unless your joe racer.
If your in the market for shocks consider the Elka's. Buy shocks before you do any other mods. Power won't help if your not in control.

forum
03-31-2003, 05:31 AM
:D

forum
03-31-2003, 05:32 AM
:)

YZROOSTINYA
03-31-2003, 07:40 AM
mine loosend up after one ride

bluebaron
03-31-2003, 10:34 AM
were do u get elka shick wares

honda400exrider
03-31-2003, 10:39 AM
what is the exact bill with and without s & h? good review;)

forum
03-31-2003, 10:42 AM
mine came with them

yellow400ex0102
03-31-2003, 11:04 AM
how much did they cost ya 500 bucks?

is there any where cheeper like c&d maybe?

Rip_Tear
03-31-2003, 11:06 AM
I think when I get aftermarket shocks they will be ELKA's :D

Chanman420q
03-31-2003, 11:52 AM
has anyone else had that problem... them being to stiff?

racin 400
03-31-2003, 11:57 AM
I do.

Tommy 17
03-31-2003, 12:04 PM
mine were stiff for 2 or 3 rides... now i'm on compression click 5... they just need to brake in...

nacs400ex
03-31-2003, 12:36 PM
I got some Elkas used, when I bought the 400ex. Triple rate with piggybacks. I love these shocks way better than stock. I havent had a chance to get out onto the track, but they are too stiff because I weigh 165 without gear, and they are valved for 210. I cant believe how amazing these shocks really are though. Forum I like your shocks too, they look almost like might except they are Elites and have WAYYYYY more travel. I am sure they will work out good for you. Considering I recieved: ELKA'S, AC Pro Pegs, New Renthals, PEP Steering Dampner, full bore black plastic, and a few other odds and ends for $500 CDN, 345 US. Is a pretty amazing deal.

nacs400ex
03-31-2003, 12:41 PM
I am gunna email Elka about revalving, or getting a different spring. Can somebody give me an email, because I cant get onto their site for some reason.

Tommy 17
03-31-2003, 12:57 PM
the quadshop can revalve ur elkas for ya... give jeff and marty a call...

nacs400ex
03-31-2003, 01:05 PM
Yeah but shipping does cost money, and Quebec isn't too far away. So if you were me I am sure you would send it to Elka if it was the province beside yours or state.

mxracer89
03-31-2003, 04:17 PM
i gota say i love mine......mine is for a 250 pound rider and i only way 155 and i dont think mine are stiff at all i even have them on click 5

WildCatRacer
03-31-2003, 05:11 PM
I really like my elkas. I have a 400ex frontend on my 300ex and the elkas are nice. they were stiff for a couple of rides but after that they where great. I got triple rate piggybacks. I would deff. buy elkas again. the best part was I got them 5 days after I ordered them.

03-31-2003, 11:43 PM
has anyone else had that problem... them being to stiff? :D had to re read that one :cool:

I think that a lot of this has to do with the info supplied for set up as much as Elka deciding on which spring rates to use. I am starting to think we may not all ride as aggressive as we think.

On the fronts everything seemed to be allmost spot on or a little on the soft side, and the rear just the opposite and a little to harsh etc.

After spending some time dialing everything in it was apparant that either the front or rear needed a change. It was decided for the sake of simplicity to change out the rear spring and since that both the front and rear feel much better.

After getting some time in and making some adjustments with the new rear spring it seems to have made all the difference, but will need some more time with it to be sure etc.

zephead400ex
04-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Did you put the Elka's on 400 stock a-arms?

"Considering I recieved: ELKA'S, AC Pro Pegs, New Renthals, PEP Steering Dampner, full bore black plastic, and a few other odds and ends for $500 CDN, 345 US. Is a pretty amazing deal."

You got all of that for $345? holy toledo...:)

nacs400ex
04-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Yep, It was a awesome deal that I couldnt pass up. Thats why I have 3 400ex's right now. I took those parts from it and I am going to sell the 400ex I just bought, After I am done cleaning it all up. The difference between what I paid and what I am gunna get for it is 345.

YZROOSTINYA
04-01-2003, 11:22 PM
my a-arms and swinger are stock

QuadTrix6
04-02-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by mxracer89
i gota say i love mine......mine is for a 250 pound rider and i only way 155 and i dont think mine are stiff at all i even have them on click 5

how can that be ?? maybe they can be better but you can;t tell cause there still better than stock, i don't know just don't seem right :confused:

04-02-2003, 07:13 PM
how can that be ?? maybe they can be better but you can;t tell

Thats an interesting thought and the fact that many riders just dont know better was one of the biggest problems I had when I was researching suspension parts and shocks etc. How can you evauluate the product when you first have to evaluate the ability of the person giving you the info to evaluate things in the first place.