PDA

View Full Version : Flippin' busted head bolt !!!

mikeman828
03-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Ok , does anyone know the best way to remove a busted cylinder head bolt???

I have a 300ex and snapped the long one near the Black plastic cam cover. It runs down into the top part of the cylinder head. Is there anyway to replace it w/o rippin the top of my motor apart?? (I was taking it out to re-seal the top end cuz it was leaking oil near that cam cover.)

If I do have to rip it apart, what kinda mods can I do without switching from pump gas??? It's a 93 so it's probably time for a new piston at least, maybe a valve job.....

thoughts??? :confused:

lex luger
03-30-2003, 01:18 PM
not sure what your talking about...can you torch it, then take some vice grips to it? what about a heli coil

mikeman828
03-30-2003, 11:28 PM
I know it sounds kinda confusing when I try and explain it....

Basically the head cover has about 15 or 16 hex head bolts that keep it on. They all vary in length, the one I busted is of course one of the longest ones!!! It runs down through the cover and theads into the cylinder. I'm not even sure if I can get it out when I remove the cylinder, just wanted some feedback on suggestions....

Thanks guys.... :confused:

quadman21
03-31-2003, 02:35 AM
To fix it correctly you would have to take your head off and helicoil it. But since the enging has a forward tilt to it, the back being higher, you might get by with a thin layer of high temp sealant around that area of the head cover. Those bolts are extremely easy to strip.

skemp
03-31-2003, 11:37 AM
That happened on my 400. I took the cylinder and put it in a mill, drilled out the stripped bolt, put a helicoil in, and put it back together. Easy fix, if you have the right equipment. I use anti-sieze on all my motor bolts that go into aluminum, but it still happened when I went to take it apart.

luvmyex
03-31-2003, 02:51 PM
if you broke the bolt off.Go to sears and get a easyout.Take your head off,and you should see whats left of the bolt. Drill a hole in it then use the easyout.Put in a new bolt and whala!You may want to replace all the bolts if you've taken them out more than once.I snapped two when i did my rebuild.