PDA

View Full Version : Loctite

Rip_Tear
03-30-2003, 10:46 AM
I took my a-arms and my swingarm off for starts, I am pretty sure I should put loctite on all the bolts right? Blue or Green (not red)? Is there a difference between the green and blue? I have some Peratex, its blue and says its High temperature Sleeve retainer, the guy at the auto parts store said it was what I wanted.... I don't know if it is or not? Any help would be great thanks! :D

R-Crazy
03-30-2003, 01:04 PM
yea, do as many bolts as u can. Bolts u will never take out- red- bolts every so often (a-arms, motor mounts, etc) blue, and bolts commonly taken out, green. i may be mistaken with which is stronger (green vs blue) but im pretty sure blue is stronger.

dave

AtvMxRider
03-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Use blue. Green is used to put on bolts that have already been tightened. Red is the strongest but blue works real good.

04-03-2003, 01:56 PM
what r u gunna lock tite for the a arms? What bolts? I dont think u need it on the a arms. Could be wrong though

Rip_Tear
04-04-2003, 11:21 AM
The bolts the connect the arms to the frame, they had loctite on them before... It doesnt hurt to loctite them, I have lost a few bolts off my 300 because they rattled out eventually. I can always break the loctite, or grind the head off if worst comes to worst.

Scott
04-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I would recommend using the loctite blue (comes in a red bottle, go figure?!?!) on every bolt you every loosen. You're not going to hurt it and it will keep you from losing bolts when you ride. Trying to just torque the snot out of them instead of using loctite will only give you stripped threads and make you buy a helicoil kit.

Rip_Tear
04-05-2003, 01:52 PM
helicoil kit? Ya the blue loctite in a red bottle go figure eh... I have red loctite in a red bottle too, it can really screw you up... I torque my bolts to specifications :D My torque wrench maxes out at the highest torque on the 400ex, which is 80 ft-lbs... I hope :D

RIDER11X
04-05-2003, 03:24 PM
The pros use thread locker on thier machines. As posted use a torque wrench(properly) and blue locktite where you should and you will save yourself many headaches.

Quads see alot of vibration, that's why you see so many skid plates laying around on tre track at GNCC's and harescrambles. You don't see any belonging to the pros, do you? ;)

quader400
04-05-2003, 04:50 PM
what is the torque you need to torqued down the a-arm bolts and the shock bolts. i just got a torque wrench but i need the shop book for the 400 so i can see what i need to torque everything down to.

Rip_Tear
04-06-2003, 10:14 AM
29 ft lbs for the a-arm pivots
32 ft lbs for the shock mounts

quader400
04-06-2003, 10:28 AM
thanks

d-14 rider 27
04-08-2003, 03:56 PM
i put a drop of blue loc-tite on every bolt on my machine, even the lock nuts get some, also, a lil coat of nev-r-sieze where the a-arm bolts go thru the sleeves helps to get the stuff back apart, as well as pivot bolt (must) and all shock bolts.