PDA

View Full Version : More power without engine work.

cheetah
03-30-2003, 09:17 AM
I need more power. What can I do to get more power without going in to the engine? Give me a few ideas and if possible prices of about how much they are.

Dave400ex
03-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Biggest one I can think of is a FCR 39 Carb. That will cost ya about $450...

Sparks425Ex
03-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Carb-FCR39-$450

Gear Your Quad To Your Likings-Sprokets-Front-20-Back-50

You could get a Sparks Timing Key-$15 All You have to do is take your Ignition Case off and Flywheel off...

That is not in the part of the engine you are talking about I presume....

cheetah
03-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Well I have a Sparks key lying here, but I have never installed it. I'm not the greatest of mechanics and I didn't want to screw anything up. Is it pretty easy to put in. I thought about the carb too, but debating between it and a rear elka. What would you do? Tell me what you think of the key installation. Does anyone have pictures?

ridered86
03-30-2003, 10:00 AM
header pipe, remove choke, grind header welds, K&n filter:blah ummm thats all i can think of i think.

airheadedduner
03-30-2003, 04:12 PM
By a manual and learn how to work on your bike. The biggest asset that will help your machines performance is how well you understand how it operates and how to work on it.

JET it RIGHT.;)

300exazzkikr
03-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Just remember there is no replacement for displacement.

hawiianpwr
03-30-2003, 05:03 PM
I would say go for the carb either the fcr39 or the edelbrock quicksilver

hawiianpwr
03-30-2003, 05:10 PM
The MSD ignition help out too. You can do anything with it. Adjust your timing -2 - +7 degrees, rev limit from 6000- 10,250rpms. Two stage rev limiter for drag racing. Its got multiple spark up to 3000rpm and twice the spark than stock thoughout the range; over 30,000 volts. Pretty sweet system I recommend it, my bike runs better, sounds better and runs cleaner.

forum
03-31-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by 300exazzkikr
Just remember there is no replacement for displacement.

My yz426 engine puts out a lot more HP then a raptor 660. so that doesn't always work. Just send your motor to sparks! haha. I'd say try the edelbrook doug eichner edidition carb

gojk
03-31-2003, 05:43 AM
When you install the key how do you reinstall the flywheel. Do you guys press it back on or just tighten the bolt on the flywheel.

UglyMotha™
03-31-2003, 05:57 AM
i just installed the sparks key on friday it was cake to do they even provide the flywheel puller just be sure to have a good strap wrench to hold the flywheel and it's nice to have a second set of hands cause it's not exactly a one man job it can be done but it's easier with two as far as putting the flywheel back on i just held the flywheel with the strap wrench and then took a 1/2" breaker bar and tightened the bolt as tight as i could get it and boom your done but before you rip your side case off be sure to pick up a gasket for the side cover and the starter cover cause mine was only a year old and they still ripped

raptor_02
03-31-2003, 06:18 AM
i say go with the REAR ELKA. Motors mods come after suspension.

hawiianpwr
03-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Good point. Go with the rear shock

hawiianpwr
03-31-2003, 10:26 AM
You can only go as fast as the quads gonna let you!

Dave400ex
03-31-2003, 10:31 AM
I agree 100%. Get the Elka...

cheetah
03-31-2003, 11:18 AM
Yeah the Elka was what I really planned on doing first being a trail rider and start some XC this year, but my cousing talked me into going to the drag strip last week and you know how that goes. Kinda caught the fever a little bit.

XxXx~FLY~xXxX
03-31-2003, 01:45 PM
what exactly does a sparks timing key do??

WrAtHs
03-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
You can only go as fast as the quads gonna let you!

Hmm, interesting. So are you saying that without good suspension your quad will actually be slower? Or you just won't want to go as fast through stuff because of the suspension being crappy?

How are the works triple rates? without the reservoirs

cals400ex
03-31-2003, 06:10 PM
the sparks timing key advanced the timing 6 degrees. this is supposed to give a little more throttle response and low to mid range power. it is not recommended for high compression motors and will make the engine run a little warmer. their are many mixed feelings about this thing so i don't know if it works or not. there is a thread going around now that talks about it.

crashinmatt
04-01-2003, 12:59 AM
im goin with the other guys, get the shock first. or at least get ur rear reworked. then after that get a carb. personally id go with the FCR. i have one it was easy for me to dial in. i have a buddy with the edelbrock, and whenever he thinks he has i dialed in, he go for a ride, and then it start messin up. he told me that he will never recommend one to anyone. and this is comin from someone who knows their crap about quads.

hawiianpwr
04-01-2003, 10:04 AM
yeah I'm saying through racing around. If you can't keep you quad under control your not going to go as fast

WrAtHs
04-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by WrAtHs

How are the works triple rates? without the reservoirs

Anyone have experience with these? How good are they?

People probably don't quote themselves to often LOL...

hawiianpwr
04-01-2003, 11:04 AM
I have a pair of works triple rate shocks without the rezzies for my 400. If your thinking about getting them. Get them! they are worth it. The ride is so much smoother and plush. They soak up everything and jumping is more fun because you can jump higher and further and the landing isnt as harsh as with the stock shocks. I bought them for $350 that includes shipping and handling

Dave400ex
04-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Yes the Works are much better then stock shocks. If money is a problem you could get the Economy Elka's and add rezzies down the road...

wilkin250r
04-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Nitrous Oxide Systems (a branch of Holley) sells single piston nitrous kits.:devil

Sparks425Ex
04-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Well.....The Elka Rear would be nice and yeah ya can only go as fast as your ride will let ya go but.....

The Stock rear shock has alot of adjustment in it....You don't need a new Rear shock...Yet..

And If ya wanna get your engine built....Send the sucker to Sparks. I am a million times happy with mine...

And as for no replacment for displacment.....That is a Crock of Chit. I will put up my Sparks 416 up against just about any 440 or 425 that is not sparks....(Excluding TC) and I would bet it will win....

ridered86
04-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Anyone have experience with these? How good are they?

People probably don't quote themselves to often LOL...

i bought works triple rates with rezzies. now stop...before you make a mistake like me save the extra 200 and get ur self some real suspension;)

Mxbubs
04-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
I need more power. What can I do to get more power without going in to the engine? Give me a few ideas and if possible prices of about how much they are.

Get someone to get off and push maybe?

Dave400ex
04-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Sparks425Ex
I will put up my Sparks 416 up against just about any 440 or 425 that is not sparks....(Excluding TC) and I would bet it will win....

Excluding TC? lol. What's that mean? :D

WrAtHs
04-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ridered86
i bought works triple rates with rezzies. now stop...before you make a mistake like me save the extra 200 and get ur self some real suspension;)

I don't mean to be a jerk but could you give some more info as to why it's a mistake to buy the works. Also, how do you personally define "real suspension".

I'd be really interested in some concrete info as to why I shouldn't buy the works triple rates because anything else I hear about them has been good.

Martin Blair
04-01-2003, 04:35 PM
pipe, kandn, also i am going to get a quicksilver carb, my parents are still paying for the bike so i cant do any engine work that will viod the wareenty so it all has to be reversable so im getting a TC pipe, grounding welds on header, and a filter, also it might take a while but get your jetting right it will help alot. MY 400 has alot of power and i dont evne have my tc pipe yet, but i alos have a 14t front sprocket which helps with accl. but not with top speed.

I looked on MSDs sight and cant find nythign on atvs, its there a link or some more info on the ignition system?

tricke
04-01-2003, 04:48 PM
On a internally stock 400ex motor is a bigger carb going to help?
im just asking for a freind.

remlapr
04-01-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't mean to be a jerk but could you give some more info as to why it's a mistake to buy the works. Also, how do you personally define "real suspension".

I'd be really interested in some concrete info as to why I shouldn't buy the works triple rates because anything else I hear about them has been good.

LOL - Do some searches and you will find everyone you could ever want to know about the different shocks that are out there.