PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of this

PHIL_B54
03-30-2003, 02:15 AM
http://www.bdiracks.com/atvmain.html

im seriously looking at a 99 tahoe and if the dealer works with me like $500 more i will drive it home monday, but you cant put a quad in the back of a tahoe
so what do you think of these racks, anyone have one? it looks exactly what i need, i really dont want to licence a trailer or mess with wiring the lights, and a cheap little trailer just big enough to fit a 400ex will be A) $500-$700 and B) little trailers like that pull crappy, it would be all over the road

i have almost already made up my mind but i wanted some input first, it would be kick *** to take the quad to lttle sahara in a tahoe with that rack compared to my s-10 squated to the ground

thanks

Leo
03-30-2003, 02:31 AM
Might be OK.. I'd be concerend about the weight being that far back upsetting the handling of the vehicle.. Don't know the weight of the mount but your going to wind up w/ 500+ lbs tongue weight I'd guess.

I'd also seriously consider putting tail-lights on it. The ones on the truck aren't much good if the quad covers 'em up..

Leo

PHIL_B54
03-30-2003, 02:39 AM
i thought about the weight and i dont believe that this rack would work well with anything smaller than a full size truck, the jeep it is on in the pics i would think couldnt handle it
500 lbs on the receiver isnt that much really, not any different than a medium sized trailer with stuff on it

the lights i would have to take a look at, i dont do very much hauling at night so unless i thought it to be a major problem i probibly wont mess with it, the cops here are asses though, it's a college town, and after dark they will bust anything that moves looking for dwi's

thank you for the reply

PHIL_B54
03-30-2003, 04:53 AM
come on ive seen them on the interstate, someone has top know someone with one or have an opinion about it

CHAUNCY
03-30-2003, 04:56 AM
we were gonna make one so we dont have to take a trailer and still can take 3 quads. I think we are still gonna make one so I will let you know how it works out if we make one soon.

ZSK
03-30-2003, 05:00 AM
The tail lights would be a very good idea, especially when you can't see the one's on the truck. I'd look at getting some airbags or helper springs to put on the back. 500 lbs isn't that bad but on a long haul it will kill your springs. Just my opinion

QuadTrix6
03-30-2003, 05:34 AM
how sturdy is that and how is it attatched i personally would stick with a trailer, its less weight because your pulling something with wheels probably better for the truck in the long run,,,just my thoughts

PHIL_B54
03-30-2003, 06:53 AM
you guys really dont think its that great of an idea:confused:
i just think it would be extremely handy to use and manuver around

maybe im just thinking in comparison between my s-10 with a 4-cyl and the tahoe(V-8) with that rack, it's got to be better for the bigger vehicle

well if i get it i will do a reveiw on it

any more ideas, thanks for the input

ridered86
03-30-2003, 07:01 AM
i dont see how they are not a strain on the hitch, springs, (especially leafs) and imagine hittin a bump with that thing on the back. a 400 may only weigh 375 but when that thing bounces it weighs a hella of alot more. i couldnt bear to put one of em on my truck. but its your truck:o

sly400ex
03-30-2003, 07:07 AM
I think I may buy one, I have a Z71, so I don't think that'll be much of of problem for it. I'll let you know.

Leo
03-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by PHIL_B54
500 lbs on the receiver isnt that much really, not any different than a medium sized trailer with stuff on it

500 lbs is a LOT of tounge weight for ANY trailer.. My 3500+ # boat only has about 100 lbs of tounge weight..

There is a big difference between towing a 500# load and having a 500# load supported by only the receiver..

The more I think of 500 lbs hanging off the back of the truck bounching around virtually unsupported the more I think it'd be a bad idea.

A snowplow has more support, is closer to the truck, and weighs less, and you wouldn't want to go barrelling down the freeway at 75 with one for sure!

If you buy a decent small trailer you won't even know it's there, and it'll be a lot easier on the truck.

Leo

PHIL_B54
03-30-2003, 08:06 AM
man guys, you are probibly right though

its cheaper and i thought it would be cool, i guess i should be looking for a trailer if i get the truck, april 16th is fast aproaching

Pappy
03-30-2003, 08:26 AM
IMO dont get it. leo is correct that the tongue weight is a lil on the heavy side for all but the lightest of quads. i have several small trailers and even the smallest tows fine as long as you use your head.

PHIL_B54
03-30-2003, 08:33 AM
when i worked for john deer we had this small trailer and that little ******* snaked down the road and hopped six inches off the ground with every bump, it probibly was just that trailer, but that's what my dislike for little trailers is based off of

Pappy
03-30-2003, 08:35 AM
well you can get a small 5 x 8 trailer around here ...new for less then $500 on the road. they have 14 inch tires and track like a shadow. i paid $1100 for my 7 x 14 ....nice trailer but doesnt tow as good as my lil 5x8 cheapy!!! lol:p