PDA

View Full Version : lights power ?

300exjuggalo
03-29-2003, 01:19 PM
i hooked up some new lights on my 300ex, and the new lights have its own fuse, can i put my stock one back on too, so i have both lights , each new light is 35 watts plus the stock can i run them all at same time, the new ones have a seprate fuse

Big - D Racing
03-29-2003, 10:02 PM
You can't run them at the sametime because you will drain your battery after 5 mins. of riding. Your stock stator has to generate enough power to power your stock lights and charge your battery at the same time. If you hook up a second set of light your stator will power all the light, but they will be dimmed and not at their full brightness, and it won't be charging your battery it will be draining it. So as soon as you turn your bike off, it won't start again. In otherword you can only run ine set of lights. I believe the stock 300ex runs one 35 watt light, so I don't think your stator will be able to run to 35 watt lights. Ycan look into buying an aftermarket stator or getting your stock one rewound.

300exjuggalo
03-30-2003, 11:45 AM
come on someone hlp me , and your wrong the stock 300 light is 55watts not 35, and i dont have it on

Big - D Racing
03-30-2003, 12:07 PM
sorry i'm not familiar with the 300ex lighting. I guarantee you little stator won't power 2 35 watt lights. I know what i'm talking about, I ride at glamis and have lots of experience with lights, just not on the little 300ex because no one rides them in the dunes, too little of power:devil Go ahead hook them up and ride, make sure you have a battery charger on you:blah

300exjuggalo
03-30-2003, 12:10 PM
i have had them hooked, on and used them and my battrie still is fine, and everything dude its workin fine, and its been over night and everything, and still same power too, and as far as power for 300ex goes , its nice just to ride around on, im gettin my 400ex in may :macho

Big - D Racing
03-30-2003, 12:16 PM
so what do you want to know, if you can run the stock one also? That won't work. I tried on y 400 to run 2 50 watt lights on the stock stator and it killed my battery. 300ex has a better stator in it than I thought if it can handle 2 35 watt lights, but I bet that is its maximum. Usually the stock lights is pretty close to the stators max, that's why I said it wouldn't power 2 35 watt lights.

300exTJjeeper
03-31-2003, 05:23 AM
ok here is the real deal,
I got a 03 300ex, I have removed that ugly stock light and sold it. Then put up 2 50watts light up front, the results are excellant.

No problems at all,. I have had this setup since Janurary and I run in Glamis all the time, Never had to recharge the battery, never had to jump it, Never had to anything except ride and ride.

Take your stock out of there at some 50 watts and just hook them into your stock wiring harness to the high beam swicth and also what I did was put some neon lights and hook them up to my stock lights wiring.

So with one swicth I controll the lights and the neon lights.

Very simple and it can handle it. Got any quesitons just hit me up

wilkin250r
03-31-2003, 08:51 AM
I think the stock stator on a 300ex is a 100 watt three-phase stator. Now that doesn't mean you can use all 100 watts for lighting, you still need energy to run the ignition and charge the battery, plus the tail light.

A common formula is 75% of your power can be used for your lighting. So two 35watt bulbs should be ok, but I wouldn't use a 35W and a 55W, and certainly not two 50W without upgrading to a high-output stator.

300exTJjeeper
03-31-2003, 10:01 AM
THe setup I am using if working fine for me, been using it for about 3 months with no problems. But oh well, you got some suggestions and some feedback from us 300exjuggle, hope this facts work out for ya

CoorsMan
03-31-2003, 01:44 PM
Hey u need a question about lighting go to www.rickystator.com

Email him or call him direct, He a great guy answers emails the next day 99% of the time. If u want to run some kick ***** lights run H.I.D its the only way to right at night in the dunes

Curtis